HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 11:02 PM

United/Emirates Partnership

Surprised this hasn't been posted here.

Emirates and United recently announced a partnership. Basically, United will start operating a flight from EWR-DXB in March 2023 and passengers from both airlines can connect on the other one from their hub(s) starting November 2022.

Chicago was one of the three main cities Emirates specifically named as a prime connection spot since it's one of United's largest hubs, so I wonder if this means they'll send the A380 to O'Hare to add capacity to support connections on United once the second A380 gate in the Terminal 5 expansion opens since British Airways is currently using the other A380 gate.

Emirates is bringing the A380 to Houston starting December 1st, so I don't think it would be out of the question for it to come to Chicago as well.

More info - https://www.emirates.com/media-centr...new-agreement/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2022, 11:04 PM

Terminal 5 Expansion Updates?

Speaking of Terminal 5, Any updates on the completion of the expansion?

It seems like the completion date keeps getting pushed back, and I thought Delta was supposed to move to Terminal 5 in the summer.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 3:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

well, it's been nearly a decade since scheduled passenger service ended at Gary/Chicago Airport (GYY), and it looks like the airport is gonna make another try at convincing an airline to give it another go.

the 5 IN counties of chicago's CSA total some 830K people, so it seems to me that Gary might be able to support vacation runs to florida/vegas similar to allegiant's ops out of rockford, but allegiant already pulled out of gary a decade ago, and with their new service at MDW, i can't see them trying again. it'll likely have to be someone else, but who? we'll see what happens.

and with the runway extension from 7,000 to 9,000 feet, the airfield can easily handle any kind of domestic passenger jet.

Quote:
Gary airport taking another shot at passenger service
Andrew Steele
Sep 15, 2022

GARY — The Gary/Chicago International Airport Authority is making a renewed effort at attracting passenger service, nine years after the last Allegiant Air jet departed for Florida.

The airport authority board on Wednesday approved a contract with the firm Mead & Hunt to perform a series of analyses and forecasts, attend air service development conferences and set up meetings with airlines.

"This is one of the necessary steps to be able to attract passenger air service," airport Executive Director Dan Vicari said.
full article: https://www.nwitimes.com/business/lo...bc86a365d.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 6:14 PM
TL;DR

I've been tracking FedEx packages lately and they are flying Chicago-bound packages into Indianapolis then trucking it up.

There's gotta be a market for Gary to build cargo facilities. I can't believe they are completely missing the boat on the e-commerce boom when they are so close to Chicago and the Southland.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 6:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ UPS started flying cargo flights into GYY a couple years ago, but they have big ops at RFD that will probably keep it from growing too big.

IND is of course a huge fedex hub and probably why they're trucking stuff up I-65 instead of setting up a satellite station at GYY.

but yeah, i'm with you, if GYY really wants to build itself up into more of an economic engine for the region, i'd think chasing the cargo market would bear a lot more fruit than trying the passenger route again.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:30 PM

ORD the world's most connected airport again.

https://airwaysmag.com/chicagos-ohar...CLdxKs8IOu3E9E

ORD is the most internationally connected airport in the world with 66 destinations, ahead of DFW. It is also the #1 most connected airport within the U.S., ahead of ATL.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 6:55 PM
Chicago Kid

https://www.thrillist.com/news/new-y...om-jfk-airport

Anyone smarter than me want to explain to me what's going on with United & JFK? They just don't have enough gates to be in operation there?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashingLights View Post
https://www.thrillist.com/news/new-y...om-jfk-airport

Anyone smarter than me want to explain to me what's going on with United & JFK? They just don't have enough gates to be in operation there?
JFK is a slot controlled airport which means United can't just expand there as much as they please. They need to either buy or lease slots from other airlines, or somehow convince the FAA that the congested airfield can handle more flights and those flights should be given to United.

They were only able to re-start JFK service last year because some international carriers leased their slots temporarily to United. They now want their slots back and United was unable to find other airlines willing to sell/lease theirs or convince the FAA to grant United additional slots.

United technically has a large number of slots at JFK (I think the 3rd most after JetBlue and Delta) but they leased them to American years and years ago when they left JFK originally and it was a long-term agreement.

Quote:
Slot Definition
A slot is the authorization for a flight to use a runway at a busy airport for either a takeoff or a landing. They exist at airports that the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) deems capacity constrained. Without slots, the thinking goes, these airports would be so congested that it would be very difficult for flights to operate without delays.

In the U.S., there are four airports with FAA slot controls:

New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA)
New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA)

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 2:07 PM

Did I just see an add for a direct non-stop flight to Saudi Arabia as I was driving by the CTA LoopLink station? I had to do a doubletake, but it has been proposed. . . interesting. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 2:52 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
Did I just see an add for a direct non-stop flight to Saudi Arabia as I was driving by the CTA LoopLink station? I had to do a doubletake, but it has been proposed. . . interesting. . .

. . .
Even compared to other major metros there are certainly not a lot of Saudis to speak of hanging out in Chicago that I'm aware.

That would be interesting. I wonder if that would be a subsidized effort for the KSA in their "tourism" efforts or to more appeal to Chicago's Muslim pilgrimages, or both. I think the Saudis also do (or did) have the 2nd or 3rd most students in the US so that would pick up some of that traffic as well.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:

. . .
See Mecca for a price that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:

. . .
Saudia said a while ago that they intended to start flights from Riyadh to Chicago in 2022. That never happened but it seems to still be on their website as a "coming soon" destination. You aren't able to book anything yet so I'm surprised they would be advertising it.

Another rather unique destination for Chicago is Amman, which Royal Jordanian has flown nonstop for many years now.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 6:09 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Saudia said a while ago that they intended to start flights from Riyadh to Chicago in 2022. That never happened but it seems to still be on their website as a "coming soon" destination. You aren't able to book anything yet so I'm surprised they would be advertising it.

Another rather unique destination for Chicago is Amman, which Royal Jordanian has flown nonstop for many years now.
Not so surprising given the huge Palestinian population in the Chicago area (the largest in the nation I believe). I'm guessing many Palestinians rather use Jordanian compared to El Al.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 2:23 PM

Looks like Delta is making their moves next week to T5....

https://simpleflying.com/delta-air-l...hicago-o-hare/

This article seems to indicate the opening of the T5 expansion isn't going to happen all at once, but in phases. Also sounds like new gates are already being used.....

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 3:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
See Mecca for a price that won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Booooooooooooo

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Looks like Delta is making their moves next week to T5....

https://simpleflying.com/delta-air-l...hicago-o-hare/

This article seems to indicate the opening of the T5 expansion isn't going to happen all at once, but in phases. Also sounds like new gates are already being used.....
New gates are already in use. I flew in last week on Lufthansa and we arrived at gate M34. It was pretty, but it felt like the longest walk ever to get to passport control.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
New gates are already in use. I flew in last week on Lufthansa and we arrived at gate M34. It was pretty, but it felt like the longest walk ever to get to passport control.
Nice! This makes me want to book an international flight out of T5 just so I can see the new gates in person.

Also I'm just getting a huge itch to take another international workcation trip.....

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:02 PM

Same press release, but with a couple other nuggets of information.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...day--oct-.html

Quote:
Earlier this year, the Chicago City Council approved the largest set of concessions agreements at O’Hare in more than a decade. Local favorites like Butcher and the Burger, Sparrow Coffee, Bar Siena, Hampton Social and more are coming to the expanded amenity spaces in Terminal 5. Mobile ordering from food and retail concessions with the option for gate-side delivery will also soon be available throughout the terminal.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 3:43 PM

United Airlines to add nonstop flights to Shannon, Ireland and Barcelona, Spain

Quote:
CHICAGO (CBS)-- Travel to Shannon, Ireland or Barcelona, Spain, without a layover.

United Airlines just added the new nonstop flights to it's service from O'Hare.

The flights start on May 14.

Starting next summer, the Chicago-based carrier flies to 37 cities in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2022, 1:08 PM

Delta Moves To Terminal 5 At ORD

Some pictures of Delta's new operations and SkyClub at Terminal 5 which opened yesterday!

From Delta:
Quote:
Beginning Oct. 12, Delta customers traveling through Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) will be welcomed at the airline’s new home in Terminal 5. The spacious terminal, enhanced by a $50 million investment by Delta, comes equipped with modernized digital tools to expedite the check-in process and boasts a dazzling new 22,000-plus-square-foot Delta Sky Club—more premium space for customers to relax and recharge before flights.
More info - https://news.delta.com/delta-sky-clu...new-ohare-home
More pictures - https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...chicago-ohare/

Overall, this looks like a big upgrade for Delta's operations out of ORD, especially considering that ORD isn't a hub or even focus city for Delta! I wonder if Delta would consider adding more destinations from ORD now that they have more gate space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation