HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 3:26 PM
BANNED

one more link

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/09...ing-team-says/

Bears’ Plan For $5 Billion Stadium Campus Doesn’t Include Retractable Roof

Noah Asimow
8:47 AM CDT on Sep 9, 2022

CHICAGO — The Bears might be talking about moving to the suburbs so they can play in a larger, fancier stadium on a $5 billion campus — but those plans don’t include a retractable roof, officials said Thursday.

The stadium that would be built at the proposed Arlington Park campus would be enclosed, but the heavy cost of a retractable roof would put that beyond the team’s reach, Bears President Ted Phillips said at a Thursday night meeting where the team’s leaders outlined possible plans for the park.

The crowd — which filled up about half the auditorium at John Hersey High School in suburban Arlington Heights — applauded at news of the enclosed roof, but they groaned when they heard it wouldn’t be retractable.

They also extensively quoted Daniel Burnham
— the famed architect and city planner known for his work in Chicago, the city the team now says it could leave — when describing the scope of their own plan.

“We hope that these plans are no small plans, and they have magic in them,” architect Paul Milana said.

The Bears lease Soldier Field — which has the smallest capacity of any NFL stadium — from the Park District. It would cost the team about $84 million to break their lease as early as 2026, the Tribune has reported.

In response, Lightfoot has pitched a $2 billion redevelopment of Soldier Field to benefit the Bears and boost capacity — and has suggested Chicago will lure another team here if the Bears do leave.

At Soldier Field, they have to split revenues with the Park District while paying rent; at their own complex in Arlington Heights, they’d be able to build their own revenue streams.

Bears leaders and architects with the firm Hart Howerton offered no new stadium renderings Thursday, instead describing their general vision for the property, which they said could include two- to eight-story townhomes, “parking fields” adjacent to the stadium, a sports book, a “Bears fit” workout facility, public parks, ponds for canoeing and kayaking, restaurants, a hotel and a modernized Metra station.

A traffic planner also said that the team is looking to change exits and entrances for Northwest Highway, as well as Route 53, which run north and west of the property.

Milana, continuing the Burnham theme, said a large, grassy public park and green space in the center of the development might have “echoes” of the Midway Plaisance. Phillips promised “a world-class” facility that could host Super Bowls, Final Fours and other major sporting events.

When asked if there would be tailgating, Phillips had a quick reply, saying, “Oh, yeah, baby.”

The project would cost nearly $5 billion and take up to 10 years to complete, Phillips said.

Some residents said they are hesitant about the possibility of increased taxes and traffic, but almost all were excited about the possible move.

“I live in the city now, and the worst part is getting to Soldier Field,” said Kaushal Patel, a season ticket holder and Edison Park resident.

Patel had no sentimentality about the Bears leaving Chicago.

“I think it would be different if it was Wrigley. But ever since they put the spaceship inside [Soldier Field,] it hasn’t felt the same. I love” the move, he said.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah, too expensive and too many potential (and also expensive) headaches.

how do you get any ROI on blowing another $500M on some fancy retractable roof when bears nation is going to fill the seats regardless of whether or not the roof opens up?

sure, it'd be a nice amenity for the fans to be able to open it up on nice days, but with the new style fixed roofs letting in lots of natural daylight anyway (like sofi), why bother with all of that added cost you're never gonna get a return on and the potential trouble down the road when/if it malfunctions?
only a government entity would be willing to blow $500M with no ROI, which the city of Chicago has proposed already

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
how do you get any ROI on blowing another $500M on some fancy retractable roof when bears nation is going to fill the seats regardless of whether or not the roof opens up?
I wonder what the costs are to heat, air condition, and air filter a 66,000-seat enclosed stadium for 5 hours in January (Bear's game) or August (concert/monster trucks/etc.).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 4:29 PM

Asking the forum. If other teams fund their facilities through a combination of bank loans, NFL loans, PSLs and public funding. What do you think the estimated amounts would be for each category? I feel like 2/3 of this total funding for the “campus” would need to be public.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 4:33 PM

This is really all about money.....

As noted in the article bnk posted, the Bears would have to split revenue with the city if they stay at SF. They want complete control over everything, which is why they are making this move. I wonder if there were some backdoor discussions between the city and the Bears where an alternative site B for a city stadium were proposed, but the city put too many caveats on the table, and the Bears wrote that proposal off.

As much as this mixed-use development around the stadium looks cool, I give it a 50/50 shot of actually happening. I am leaning towards a big shiny stadium with an empty parking lot 99% of the time. In order to make the surrounding development work, there needs to be some reassurance that it pencils out economically for any developer. Right now..... I still don't see it. Sure - It gets tons of revenue on the few game days, but this area just isn't in the middle of much. What's the draw on non-game days that's going to draw people to this area? I mean..... the Woodfield area has been struggling for years now to keep their momentum going. Why would a mixed use development here do any better?

I guess I'm just being glass half-empty here. The Bears want their own stadium they own..... with complete control over revenue. They really don't care about what happens outside the stadium nearby. If they did, they would have a plan B for something in the city.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 6:38 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Not a surprise, they don't build retractable domes anymore, too expensive.
I do very much like Miller Park though.

Ironically enough if Chicago didn't already have so many large outdoor music venues (Soldier Field included) I think the Bears would consider the cost of a retractable to maybe be worth it. They likely (and rightly IMO) figure that most major acts that do summer stadium/arena tours are more likely to want to book at Soldier Field, Wrigley, UC, Ravinia, Northerly etc. rather than book an indoor show in AH during the summer. They know Chicagoans want to be outside when the weather is nice. Why spend 500million on a retractable just to have to compete for a limited amount of acts that may or may not book at your venue? It will be a bit of a pisser in September and early October for fans when the weather is nice not to have open-air option, but the majority won't miss December or January games out in the cold.

In cities with more limited large music venue options to compete with (like Indianapolis, or even Phoenix or Atlanta having a retractable makes more sense.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Sep 9, 2022 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 6:44 PM
1st Ward

Quote:

But ever since they put the spaceship inside [Soldier Field,] it hasn’t felt the same. I love” the move, he said.
Also a bummer that SF lost its National Historic Landmark designation only to have the Bears bail a few decades later. Oh well, lesson learned I suppose.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 7:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
I wonder what the costs are to heat, air condition, and air filter a 66,000-seat enclosed stadium for 5 hours in January (Bear's game) or August (concert/monster trucks/etc.).
You have to heat and air condition whether it's a retractable roof or a fixed dome.

I wonder if the Bears will explore other options to make the stadium open-air, though - like the sliding glass doors on USBank, which also has a fixed roof over the field. All these decisions have massive consequences when it comes to the energy use of the stadium. A transparent roof like Allegiant or SoFi will be great for football season due to the greenhouse effect, but will lead to very unpleasant conditions in the summer for concerts or festivals. A solid roof will have the opposite problem - more expensive to heat in the winter.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:10 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

via Twitter from David Hogue

20220909_140429 by James Neaylon, on Flickr

20220909_140423 by James Neaylon, on Flickr

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 9, 2022 at 8:17 PM. Reason: trouble uploading

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:16 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Looks great! Just incorporate the grandstand and you're golden.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^^ i fixed the pics for you.

for pics on flickr, you gotta go to the share option and copy and paste the code for posting in forums.

the direct image links won't work.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Speaking of Stadiums. Northwestern is building a $800 dollar stadium too.
Just have to figure out how to fill it.

Crains is behind a paywall for me. Anyone care to share the pics and details.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-rebuild-plans

Render below.

https://nusports.com/splash.aspx?id=splash_1127

Ryan alone is donating 480 million dollars for the project.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/fac...ate-ryan-field

Just a few years ago NW created an awesome facility on the lake.
Hope that these projects will bring in some better players. It would be fun great for NW to be competative year in and out and not sporatically.

Check out the $ 270 million dollar Ryan Field house if your not familar with it.

https://nusports.com/facilities/ryan...20the%20nation.

Video Link

EDIT I found this

It has a video in it..

https://rebuildryanfield.com/

A new vision for the community
The new Ryan Field stadium campus is possible due to a generous gift from the Ryan Family.

The Ryan Family’s gift was the largest in Northwestern history, and included funding not just for the new stadium, but to accelerate breakthroughs in biomedical, economics and business research.

Fully funded with private dollars – meaning NO taxpayer financing
Will pump hundreds of millions of dollars into the community creating thousands of jobs
Be the only new Power Five football stadium built without public money this century

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Speaking of Stadiums. Northwestern is building a $800 dollar stadium too.
Just have to figure out how to fill it.

Crains is behind a paywall for me. Anyone care to share the pics and details.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-rebuild-plans

Render below.

https://nusports.com/splash.aspx?id=splash_1127

Ryan alone is donating 480 million dollars for the project.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/fac...ate-ryan-field

Just a few years ago NW created an awesome facility on the lake.
Hope that these projects will bring in some better players. It would be fun great for NW to be competative year in and out and not sporatically.

Check out the $ 270 million dollar Ryan Field house if your not familar with it.

https://nusports.com/facilities/ryan...20the%20nation.

Video Link

EDIT I found this

It has a video in it..

https://rebuildryanfield.com/

A new vision for the community
The new Ryan Field stadium campus is possible due to a generous gift from the Ryan Family.

The Ryan Family’s gift was the largest in Northwestern history, and included funding not just for the new stadium, but to accelerate breakthroughs in biomedical, economics and business research.

Fully funded with private dollars – meaning NO taxpayer financing
Will pump hundreds of millions of dollars into the community creating thousands of jobs
Be the only new Power Five football stadium built without public money this century
Quote:
The new Ryan Field would have a capacity of 35,000, roughly 12,000 less than the existing stadium's capacity.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:50 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Good, the current stadium is a half-empty dump most of the time. Should help majorly boost the energy at games

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:38 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Good, the current stadium is a half-empty dump most of the time. Should help majorly boost the energy at games
If it's anything like Stanford's stadium renovation... it won't really help .

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:41 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Cool stadium!

But pretty small.

With a 35K capacity, it'll be the 4th smallest football stadium in the power 5 (only Washington State, Wake Forest, and Oregon State are smaller).

But NU is a nerd school, so it's probably not a bad idea to right-size the football stadium.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 29, 2022 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 5:10 AM
BANNED

new concert venue for the north burbs

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Cool stadium!

But pretty small.

With a 35K capacity, it'll be the 4th smallest football stadium in the power 5 (only Washington State, Wake Forest, and Oregon State are smaller).

But NU is a nerd school, so it's probably not a bad idea to right-size the football stadium.
Agreed. It would be on par capacity-wise with other comparable out of conference nerd schools like Duke and Vanderbilt but offer a lot more.

---

If approved current Ryan Field would be demolished after 2023 and new stadium would open for 2026 season. Have to think Soldier Field would be the temporary home in 2024 and 2025. Northwestern would finally be "Chicago's Big Ten Team."

There may be some talk about the necessity for $800M stadium for a typically-underproducing team, but this will be privately funded and with nearly $100M/year per school TV deal about to kick in soon, you have to keep up with other Big Ten schools to stay competitive.

Ryan's $480M donation was announced last year and some of that is going towards athletics, unsure how much. But it was mentioned Northwestern was going to upgrade Ryan Field, but it wasn't clear then if that meant an entire new stadium. Ryan Field is pretty much a worse version of old Wrigley Field's interior with extremely narrow concourses, small bathrooms, limited club options, and TERRIBLE locker rooms. I didn't think a Wrigley-style renovation would be able to fix everything nor would it be worth the cost. I've seen absolutely no one upset about demolishing a 100-year old stadium. There's not deep ties or connection to the current stadium.

Also the press release mentioned tedious community involvement to address neighborhood concerns about pedestrian/vehicle traffic, noise, light disturbances, etc. Am I crazy or maybe don't live next to a college football stadium if you don't like the externalities associated with it...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:22 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

While it's true that NU is a dork school, unlike Vanderbilt or Duke they have had some very competitive seasons over the last 25 years.

Granted, they rarely ever have near sell-outs, but I would think they would want the option to readily expand the stadium IF the program ever became big-time to the point they wanted 50k-70k for a stadium. I also believe big stadiums with big crowds are a big recruitment tool for football programs.

I imagine they want to provide certain amenities to attract the wealthy north shore crowd. In that sense having fewer seats but more premium seating and club services is a priority. No doubt there will be a few tiers of club services with carving stations, heated indoor break and gameday rooms to watch other Saturday games etc. Again, I suppose they are just hyper-realist, but it doesn't even look like the stadium would be easily expandable from these renders. Just a bit surprising to not allow for that eventuality if it was desired down the line.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:41 PM
BANNED

The way college football is going, its looking like its gonna be 2 super conferences in the game, Big 10 (which is HQ'd in Chicago) and the SEC. With its beautiful campus, continued investment in athletics, proximity to Chicago, and world class education, I see a bright future for Northwestern athletics. I also agree with them planning this with expansion in mind for the future.

They just need to focus more on recruitment

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development