HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #18101  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 10:45 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,559
Those fins are usually just a clip-on, not part of the unitized curtain wall assembly.

I appreciate the mews, I hope it is a success for retail/entertainment. Seeing it now, though, I think it's just a creative way to save heating costs on the office lobby. But the through-block connection will be open to the public, so it's kind of like the indoor lobby connections in various Loop buildings.

Those two floors of parking are brutal, though. The fancy brickwork doesn't help much.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18102  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:02 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,500
The parking floors totally kill the design.

What were they thinking?
__________________
When Jesus returns, he’ll arrive in this:

https://youtu.be/xH_5Snf6BWg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18103  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:55 PM
Briguy Briguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 18
They were thinking that nobody wants a window office right next to the El. Street level hasted retail is not too bad.

That stretch of halsted from the metra overpass to Randolph has transformed so much! Really hope the equinox hotel gets built too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18104  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:12 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
They were thinking that nobody wants a window office right next to the El. Street level hasted retail is not too bad.

That stretch of halsted from the metra overpass to Randolph has transformed so much! Really hope the equinox hotel gets built too.
You should have been there in the '70s ...
__________________
Harry C ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18105  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 10:34 PM
Kumdogmillionaire's Avatar
Kumdogmillionaire Kumdogmillionaire is offline
Development Shill
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The parking floors totally kill the design.

What were they thinking?
Lol they're totally fine
__________________
For you - Bane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18106  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 2:27 AM
SteelMonkey's Avatar
SteelMonkey SteelMonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
The view from 167 N Green


Photo Credit: @jobsite_superintendent
https://www.instagram.com/jobsite_superintendent/?hl=en
Wow would love to hoop on that court however hard it might be to concentrate on the game
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18107  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 5:46 PM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 1,138
Given that garages across downtown have had a loss of income due to fewer customers, how likely is it that we'll see many of them sold and being replaced by high-rises? Some folks were discussing in another thread that the Asbury Plaza garage could go if the economics justify it, but now I'm curious if the large drop in parking demand will jumpstart a trend

Last edited by Randomguy34; Nov 22, 2020 at 6:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18108  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 11:38 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Team Alinghi
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Two new West Loop high rises, surprised one of them is a hotel

311-315 N Sangamon St./901-925 W Wayman St | 149 ft | 296 key hotel
https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=
The Sun-Times has a rendering of 311-315 Sangamon.
Any word on the architect? Reminds me a bit of Porte by GREC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18109  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 1:21 AM
RedCorsair87 RedCorsair87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 482
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18110  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 5:24 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Given that garages across downtown have had a loss of income due to fewer customers, how likely is it that we'll see many of them sold and being replaced by high-rises? Some folks were discussing in another thread that the Asbury Plaza garage could go if the economics justify it, but now I'm curious if the large drop in parking demand will jumpstart a trend
They will have a big payday once work from home ends at many companies, people will still be reluctant to take public transport or Uber/Lyft. Eventually they will go back to their pre-covid occupancy levels.

The only garages that are struggling are the Grant Park Garages, there’s been some talk of turning those into a fulfillment center for Amazon. They are already using the garage to store dealership cars.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18111  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:09 AM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Loop, Chicago
Posts: 3,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The only garages that are struggling are the Grant Park Garages, there’s been some talk of turning those into a fulfillment center for Amazon. They are already using the garage to store dealership cars.
wow, Grant Park North Garage decreased its monthly parking by like $100/month ("introductory rate, new customers only").
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18112  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:39 PM
west-town-brad west-town-brad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They will have a big payday once work from home ends at many companies, people will still be reluctant to take public transport or Uber/Lyft. Eventually they will go back to their pre-covid occupancy levels.

The only garages that are struggling are the Grant Park Garages, there’s been some talk of turning those into a fulfillment center for Amazon. They are already using the garage to store dealership cars.
also, underground garages could be used as data centers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18113  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:22 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
wow, Grant Park North Garage decreased its monthly parking by like $100/month ("introductory rate, new customers only").
Yep, garage demand downtown has really gone down.

I have a garage space with my condo that I've kept rented pretty much regularly for 9 years, but in recent months I've basically given up.

I'll probably relist it some time next year
__________________
When Jesus returns, he’ll arrive in this:

https://youtu.be/xH_5Snf6BWg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18114  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:41 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is offline
Team Alinghi
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Article mentions Tom Roszak.
Yes, but that's for the residential building at 160 N. Elizabeth Street, not the hotel at Sangamon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18115  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 4:21 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,981
450 N LaSalle (?)

Nov 23



__________________
Harry C ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18116  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:15 PM
SteelMonkey's Avatar
SteelMonkey SteelMonkey is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 277
Crane coming down at 800 W Fulton
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18117  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:38 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,981
Eight-o-Eight Wells

Nov 23



Nov 26





A very green roof


__________________
Harry C ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18118  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 11:13 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,981
Fulton Labs - 400 N Aberdeen

Nov 23

__________________
Harry C ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18119  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 1:01 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,981
Fulton East - 215 N Peoria

Nov 23

__________________
Harry C ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18120  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 8:43 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,981
Bentham Condos - 146 W Erie

Nov 23



__________________
Harry C ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.