HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 10:27 PM

Schematic of ZFLP Properties proposal for the "Metropolitan" mixed-use development, consisting of the former Daka Paper Warehouse/Metropolitan Club and adjacent building and lot on W 13th St. and former General Tire building and lot on W 12th St.
  • 80 apartments
  • 17,000 sq ft commercial (7,000 sq ft retail)
  • 210 parking space in two integral decks

Plans call for:
  • - renovation of the existing 3-story warehouse into 16 apartments and 10,000 sq ft of bar/restaurant on lower level
  • - construction of a 4-story 24,000 sq ft building to house 16 apartments atop 1 level of parking
  • - construction of a 4-story 65,000 sq ft building to house 48 apartments atop 1 level of parking and 7,000 sq ft retail space
  • - shared courtyard/pool/etc.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 1:44 PM

Former Holiday Inn - Downtown Erie at W 18th & State/Peach streets undergoing full gut renovation (it needed it!). Likely to become a Wyndham brand and open in summer 2021.

This 133 room hotel was a major part of the massive urban redevelopment project in the late 1950s/early 1960s that leveled the entire neighborhood between State and Sassafras streets and 18th and the 14th Street RR overpass. The Holiday Inn with its restaurant/lounge and large outdoor pool was a popular spot back in the day, when Holiday Inns were kind of a thing.

It declined with the neighborhood and was given a 1980s makeover that enclosed the exterior hallways, and then an absolutely awful 1990s exterior "refresh" that tacked some crappy paneling on the facade. By that point, it was rather seedy and then was no longer a Holiday Inn; most recently known as the "Downtown Erie Hotel"... it had basically turned into a crack den/prostitution hotspot/heroin lounge. I was surprised to learn it was still an operating business a few years ago, since it looked abandoned. It closed in early 2019, though the rooms were reportedly filled with squatters who completely trashed the inside.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:24 PM

Good perspective of the EDDC redevelopment area in Downtown Erie.

The historic block on North Park Row (center left of photo) is undergoing complete renovation. I believe the only building not owned by EDDC is the narrow, red brick building on the left edge of the block (it houses apartments, and was renovated a couple years ago, though not to historic standards).

The shorter 1930s art moderne Greyhound Station building mid-block will be demolished for a new building with 3 historically-representative facades. The rear of the block will be new residential construction, as will be the block across West 5th St., where a surface lot and McDonalds previously existed.

Hopefully, this will spur development of the large surface parking lot on the East Perry Square, to the right of Richford Arms (the tallest building in the photo), as well as the multiple UPMC and Erie Insurance surface lots north to the Bayfront.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:41 PM

More good perspective shots... ongoing renovation of former GTE North/Verizon telecom tower into Gannon University I-HACK, on western edge of Erie's central downtown business district. And the refurbishment of the Boston Store's rooftop clock and tower, in foreground.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:34 PM

So the hotel is absolute god-awful, overly-busy, 8-colored ugliness, but the restaurant/bar looks very nice... especially for a Hampton Inn... which makes one wonder, why make such an investment in a restaurant that is part of a Hampton Inn?

The window wall that folds completely away is pretty damn cool. Not something you see often.

Oliver's Rooftop restaurant opens at the Hampton Inn & Suites hotel on Erie's bayfront

https://www.goerie.com/story/enterta...es/6311332002/

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 10:12 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Former Holiday Inn - Downtown Erie at W 18th & State/Peach streets undergoing full gut renovation (it needed it!). Likely to become a Wyndham brand and open in summer 2021.

This 133 room hotel was a major part of the massive urban redevelopment project in the late 1950s/early 1960s that leveled the entire neighborhood between State and Sassafras streets and 18th and the 14th Street RR overpass. The Holiday Inn with its restaurant/lounge and large outdoor pool was a popular spot back in the day, when Holiday Inns were kind of a thing.

It declined with the neighborhood and was given a 1980s makeover that enclosed the exterior hallways, and then an absolutely awful 1990s exterior "refresh" that tacked some crappy paneling on the facade. By that point, it was rather seedy and then was no longer a Holiday Inn; most recently known as the "Downtown Erie Hotel"... it had basically turned into a crack den/prostitution hotspot/heroin lounge. I was surprised to learn it was still an operating business a few years ago, since it looked abandoned. It closed in early 2019, though the rooms were reportedly filled with squatters who completely trashed the inside.

Yeesh. Yeah,just a quick glance at a google aerial view, makes it obvious that this thing needed a lot of TLC. It's interesting to me to see how these old Holiday Inn properties are either being demolished or restored across the country. Three Rivers, MI recently finished converting an old Holiday inn (complete with one of the vintage "holidomes") into new senior living. Kalamazoo's old Holiday Inn (again, with an indoor pool / holidome) was renovated into a Delta Hotel by Marriott about a year ago. Good to see this one getting new life too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
So the hotel is absolute god-awful, overly-busy, 8-colored ugliness, but the restaurant/bar looks very nice... especially for a Hampton Inn... which makes one wonder, why make such an investment in a restaurant that is part of a Hampton Inn?

The window wall that folds completely away is pretty damn cool. Not something you see often.

Oliver's Rooftop restaurant opens at the Hampton Inn & Suites hotel on Erie's bayfront

https://www.goerie.com/story/enterta...es/6311332002/

Absolutely a perfect example of a space that is better to be inside of and look out of, as opposed to being outside of and looking at. The exterior is truly hideous.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post

Absolutely a perfect example of a space that is better to be inside of and look out of, as opposed to being outside of and looking at. The exterior is truly hideous.
Ha! Agreed. Yeah, it's terrible looking. Why not just go with the gray... or the tan... or the white? Why does it need all 3, plus 2 shades of brick, plus the blue-green glass... plus the bright RED entrance??!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:44 AM

On a recent dinner cruise (Victoria Princess) returning after sunset, we could see the Hampton in as Oliver's was ringed just below its floor level with a glowing red neon tubing.
From the Bay coming in at night I enjoyed the view. It certainly caught your eye.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:49 AM

On the Holiday Inn/Downtown Erie motel. I've heard its to be lower end KNIGHTS INN.
More on frugal family side. We'll see. Anyone heard different?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:34 PM

^ Knights Inn? God, I hope not. I didn't even though those still existed

Wow... way to go Erie... making a big deal in the news about the redevelopment of this parcel... for a possible Knights Inn.

Frugal family side? More like funky fleabag side.

I hope they still feature the dark wood beams, orange shag carpeting, and hookers in the lobby.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 5:22 PM

Some recent shots of the Perry Square area

Looking west on West 6th Street; North Park Row renovations by EDDC, including future demo of old Greyhound Bus Station (right middle)

Looking south on State Street; facade restoration ongoing at Federal Courthouse (bottom left)

Looking north at downtown; Warner Theater expansion (upper right)

Looking south on State Street; Warner Theater facade full restoration commenced this week; to include all masonry, marquee, and lighting; first complete restoration since built in 1931

Last edited by pj3000; Dec 11, 2020 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 5:04 AM

Warner Theater construction, with a glimpse of UPMC Park construction in background

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 2:07 PM

Update pic: Beautiful, historically-accurate restorations of these buildings on West 6th Street. Quality of construction materials is top notch. These are some of the many grand old homes being renovated on Erie's lower west side. Big money, really big money backing the work (billionaire Tom Hagen, wealthiest man in PA).

Canalside Townhouses renovation

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 3:20 PM

Some shots of the new and god-awful ugly Hampton Inn on Erie's bayfront. The top floor restaurant/bar is cool, but why did they make such an effort to build such a terribly ugly building?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2020, 2:52 PM

Erie Events lets contract for Bayfront Market house.

Kevin Flowers: Erie Events pushes forward with bayfront market house plan
Kevin Flowers
Erie Times-News

The COVID-19 pandemic has cost Erie Events revenue and disrupted its timetables on some projects – but it has not derailed the organization's plans to create a multimillion-dollar market house on the city’s west bayfront.
The Erie County Convention Center Authority's board of directors, which oversees Erie Events, has unanimously signed off on hiring Pieper O'Brien Herr Architects, which has offices in Pittsburgh and Alpharetta, Georgia, to handle some preliminary design work for the project.
The firm has extensive experience designing similar facilities across the country, including Pittsburgh, said Casey Wells, Erie Events' executive director.
"They've worked with Giant Eagle... They know the model," Wells said. "They will come in and help us determine what sort of market house best serves Erie, Pennsylvania."
Seen as a key to Erie Events' waterfront development plans, the indoor market would operate year-round and feature a full-service grocery store as well as local vendors that sell chocolates, wine, meats, produce, crafts and other goods.
I've covered this project for several years; it's one component of a bigger development plan, first made public in early 2016, for the 12.5-acre, Erie Events-owned former GAF Materials Corp. property on the west bayfront.
This is an architect's rendering of a concept or development of the former GAF property on Erie's bayfront. More:Erie Events seeks extension for waterfront market plan
That concept plan envisions a mixed-use waterfront development with ample public access that generates property taxes and includes restaurants, office space, housing, bicycle trails and green space, among other amenities.
Further, the market house plan has already received a $1.5 million state grant, awarded in 2019. Erie Events is seeking an additional $3.5 million from Gov. Tom Wolf to create at least a 22,000-square-foot facility.
The total cost would fall somewhere between $7.5 million and $10 million, according to estimates.
Pieper O'Brien Herr Architects will be paid no more than $25,000 for its work, which will include a detailed project analysis and "some new renderings that show how this would lay out," Wells said.
More:Our view: Bayfront hub key to Erie’s future
Wells, and Erie Events, believe the market house makes sense for a few reasons.
It would utilize indoor and outdoor space for vendors and include a performance space for musicians and other artists, and could become a landing spot for pedestrians who use proposed walkways over the Bayfront Parkway that are part of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation’s $100 million in planned improvements to that area.
"It's a gathering space that we really want to activate," Wells said. "it's part of the vision of connectivity between the city and the waterfront."
Wells told me Erie Events cannot let the ongoing pandemic – which has cost the organization millions of dollars in lost revenues at the Bayfront Convention Center, Erie Insurance Arena, Jerry Uht Park and other venues it oversees – shutter its waterfront improvement plans indefinitely.
"If you stand still, you're falling behind," Wells said. "So we continue to bring these projects forward." Pieper O'Brien Herr Architects' hiring underscores that approach, according to Wells.
"With this market house, you need to know what's sustainable. You need to know that what they heck you're proposing is going to work," he said. "That's what they will help us do."

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 1:37 AM

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 3:49 PM
somewhere in-between

Here are some images of the new Erie Insurance building - complete but not occupied yet, due to COVID-19.

Source: Go Erie | Contributed Photos

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:27 PM

Hey all. New member here!

I actually came across this forum by accident but found all the updates really interesting. I run an Erie development thread on city-data forum and was born and raised in Erie.

All the development and construction happening right now is very exciting!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:39 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Hey all. New member here!

I actually came across this forum by accident but found all the updates really interesting. I run an Erie development thread on city-data forum and was born and raised in Erie.

All the development and construction happening right now is very exciting!
Welcome! I loved visiting Erie while I lived in Pittsburgh. It reminded me of growing up in Michigan. This has definitely become one of the busier threads for smaller cities on this forum. No doubt a testament to all of the recent development.

Anyone else see this? Downtown Sunoco roof collapse a few days ago. Seemingly not due to snow. Maybe ice or water build up... or purely structural failure? Or were there strong winds there a few days ago? Speculating here.

Source: Instagram | eriedowntown

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Welcome! I loved visiting Erie while I lived in Pittsburgh. It reminded me of growing up in Michigan. This has definitely become one of the busier threads for smaller cities on this forum. No doubt a testament to all of the recent development.

Anyone else see this? Downtown Sunoco roof collapse a few days ago. Seemingly not due to snow. Maybe ice or water build up... or purely structural failure? Or were there strong winds there a few days ago? Speculating here.

Source: Instagram | eriedowntown
I did see that. I believe the structure was heavily rusted and the recent snow and wind did not help at all. It's a good thing no one was under there when it fell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations