HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Whatever the black fabric membrane is, it's definitely exposed as a cladding. Never seen anything like that. I wonder what the membrane is?
The membrane is several layers thick, the product manufacturer is called VaproShield.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2023, 8:15 PM

Wow I didn't realize it was like that.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2023, 9:02 PM

Piling equipment is on site at 127 Bannatyne

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 2:21 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
The membrane is several layers thick, the product manufacturer is called VaproShield.
interesting, thanks.

Last edited by trueviking; Mar 15, 2023 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 2:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
I’m not on side with it, it looks like the building wall is covered in exhaust louvres.
Agreed, the execution looks terrible, someone’s good intention that never materialized with the outcome!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 2:48 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Piling equipment is on site at 127 Bannatyne
they've been pounding steel piles and pouring caissons for a few months now...its interesting to watch....different than most foundation construction I've seen....no evidence of grade beams or anything but there's lots of structure hidden below grade already.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 2:59 PM

I honestly think this building will be a nightmare in a few years. That Vapour shield is fairly exposed, and if it’s only good for a year when exposed… Good luck. I picture it being covered in barn swallows pigeons and wasps in no time.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 3:27 PM
the first stamp is free

^ the Architect already got their shiny award for this project back in 2020.

Who cares if the envelope design of the building is perhaps a bit... suspect?

Maybe they need to hold off on Architectural awards until after a building has opened and operated for a certain amount of time.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 7:30 PM

It's undeniably strange to give awards for architecture before it exists. Award for drawing? Sure. But who's to say if architecture is a success before it experiences the full effects of being in the world? Let's not forget Centre Village was an award winning project..

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 8:03 PM

It's hard for me to say it because I really liked their projects, but I wonder if the bloom is off the rose for the 546 guys. A good looking project is nice, but I suppose it's possible to move the dial a little too far in the direction of form as opposed to function.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's hard for me to say it because I really liked their projects, but I wonder if the bloom is off the rose for the 546 guys. A good looking project is nice, but I suppose it's possible to move the dial a little too far in the direction of form as opposed to function.
Hasn’t that been their entire career though… the cube never fully panned out, that village with the orange windows. Lol.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 3:02 AM

I actually reached out to the Technical Sales Manager of the vapour / barrier product in Washington. We had a very interesting discussion. He states the material is well known and used extensively in Canada.

The 12 month “exposure” refers to the product being left in an unfinished and unfastened condition. The 40% UV exposure speaks of a direct no shading condition to the sun.

The product comes in a “mactac” application and one that is fastened.

It can be argued the flashing will in fact cover the material from direct sunlight and leave the VB in shade so as to conform to the product specifications. The VB will be finished and fastened in place prior to 12 months as well.

With that said, one may say the architects and developer are exploring new design applications which are pushing the technical boundaries of the product and application. Is that not what a creative firm should push for if they have a forward and receptive client?

I’m impressed the project continues to move forward and 300 progressive individuals will be living on Pacific & Alexander in the next 24 months.

Last edited by Labroco; Mar 15, 2023 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 5:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

least the envilope is of a design that can be removed easly and replaced

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I actually reached out to the Technical Sales Manager of the vapour / barrier product in Washington. We had a very interesting discussion. He states the material is well known and used extensively in Canada.

The 12 month “exposure” refers to the product being left in an unfinished and unfastened condition. The 40% UV exposure speaks of a direct no shading condition to the sun.

It can be argued the flashing will in fact cover the material from direct sunlight and leave the VB in shade so as to conform to the product specifications. The VB will be finished and fastened in place prior to 12 months as well.

With that said, one may say the architects and developer are exploring new design applications which are pushing the technical boundaries of the product and application. Is that not what a creative firm should push for if they have a forward and receptive client?

I’m impressed the project continues to move forward and 300 progressive individuals will be living on Pacific & Alexander in the next 24 months.
I’m happy you’re impressed. But think about how UV rays pretty much reflect off of everything, especially snow, sand, water, glass. Also how thick is the metal cladding. Is it one basketball away from getting dented up and looking like shit. It looks flimsy. Not a risk I’d be willing to take on my building.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 2:37 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:

To the bolded - definitely agree.

However, this all assumes the novelty of this assembly and the relative unknown in terms of lifespan in a climate like Winnipeg was discussed with the owner ahead of time, including the understanding that they (the owner) will be on the hook to replace and repair this assembly in the event things go south in 5 to 10 years.

Anything is possible I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I’m happy you’re impressed. But think about how UV rays pretty much reflect off of everything, especially snow, sand, water, glass. Also how thick is the metal cladding. Is it one basketball away from getting dented up and looking like shit. It looks flimsy. Not a risk I’d be willing to take on my building.
I said I’m “impressed” the project continues to move forward and hundreds of new people will be living in the area.

The risk of envelope failure rests with the developer, contractor and perhaps architect and supplier of the membrane. Not our battle…

I assume you have not had any water penetration in your recently constructed building. So far so good!

Last edited by Labroco; Mar 17, 2023 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2023, 9:58 PM

Birks departs the main floor of Main and Lombard exiting Winnipeg after 120 years.

Another loss…

Last edited by Labroco; Mar 29, 2023 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2023, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Birks departs the main floor of Main and Lombard exiting Winnipeg after 120 years.

Another loss…
Surprised they lasted this long. In addition to the decline of the downtown, that store didn't really fit with the strategy they've been pursuing over the last half-decade+.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle26337253/

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 6:42 PM

Birks moving to Lombard and Main always seemed like an odd fit... they were isolated, far away from any other retail. There is zero retail foot traffic at that site. This was clearly a decision made out east, someone probably looked at the Polo Park lease renewal rates, then looked at alternatives and said "wow, we can lease by the office towers at Portage and Main for a quarter of the price" and moved there without fully realizing why that space was available for cheap.

Anyway, it's not surprising. Downtown retail is dead.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 6:21 PM

Excavation has officially begun on 127 Bannatyne.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan