HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 10:57 PM
They all float down here

I don't share their concerns about hurting the charm of the area - but I do hope it doesn't lead to noise complaints and the eventual closing of Kilby Court. If SLC lost Kilby Court, that would be a significant blow to the music scene here.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I don't share their concerns about hurting the charm of the area - but I do hope it doesn't lead to noise complaints and the eventual closing of Kilby Court. If SLC lost Kilby Court, that would be a significant blow to the music scene here.
They're tearing down part of the smaller 1-story buildings at Kilby Court and going straight up with 8-stories. There's no pedestrian scale stepback or character similarity.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 3:17 AM

Can someone please explain to me why a bland, cheaply built, wide, stubby, overpriced condo/apartment complex is a great thing for the neighborhood?

Cheers to Kilby closing in five years due to constant noise complaints.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The Denver one isn't bad. There's a bar on the 20th? floor that has a nice city view, which is something that SLC still lacks.

The view from our new CCH's 6th floor restuarant looks pretty nice though:

^^^I do like the view of the downtown skyline at that height.

Don't forget there are also the views from the 11th-floor rooftop of the historic Hotel Utah now JSB, which is still very popular and has existed for 111 years. You also get a walk-through of all that unsurpassed gilded-age opulence of the grand lobby. I never get tired of gazing at that lobby. I've been there for a number of events and dinner dates. The views of Temple Square, particularly during the holidays, and also toward the Great Salt Lake during sunsets are spectacular. Admittedly, I look forward to the day when Salt Lake City has a new tallest with a restaurant plopped on top and views of the Wasatch.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Don't forget there are also the views from the 11th-floor rooftop of the historic Hotel Utah now JSB, which is still very popular and has existed for 111 years. You also get a walk-through of all that unsurpassed gilded-age opulence of the grand lobby. I never get tired of gazing at that lobby. I've been there for a number of events and dinner dates. The views of Temple Square, particularly during the holidays, and also toward the Great Salt Lake during sunsets are spectacular. Admittedly, I look forward to the day when Salt Lake City has a new tallest with a restaurant plopped on top and views of the Wasatch.
The Roof does have a good view, but most people wouldn't consider going to a fancy restaurant where they can't have a glass of wine with dinner.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 6:02 PM

Haha, True except for in Utah, and The Roof is very popular amongst the adherent L.D.S. crowd.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 10:57 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Can someone please explain to me why a bland, cheaply built, wide, stubby, overpriced condo/apartment complex is a great thing for the neighborhood?

Cheers to Kilby closing in five years due to constant noise complaints.
What would you have instead? Status Quo?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
What would you have instead? Status Quo?
Lol what? No, I want anything better than what salt lake always gets.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2022, 4:44 AM
Lahaina Strong

Select photos from my shenanigans in SLC today.

Sorry, it's a lot. Plenty that don't get much attention here though.

Snapped a picture of the 300 North pedestrian bridge as the train rolled by.

Stopped by Astra.

6th+Main.

Sears demo.

I believe these are the Central West Apartments?

CINQ?

Stopped by the U to be the subject of medical experiments. Here's HELIX.

(Soon?) to be demolished School Of Medicine Building.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 8:35 AM

People would have to be braindead to make noise complaints at Kilby Court. They know they're moving in next to a music venue. And shows usually wrap up by, what, 11pm or so anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
They're tearing down part of the smaller 1-story buildings at Kilby Court and going straight up with 8-stories. There's no pedestrian scale stepback or character similarity.
Who cares?

Quote:
.Fisher Brewing was also opposed to it because they think that the construction is going to impact parking and operations, and they think the new residents will complain about the brewery odors.
Imagine complaining that you have more potential customers next door. Lol. Absolutely absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Lol what? No, I want anything better than what salt lake always gets.
So what is your idea of better?

To answer your initial question, it's good for the neighborhood because it brings more foot traffic and customers to the nearby businesses. Even Kilby Court could benefit from it by nearby residents wanting to check it out. If I lived next to a cheap music venue I'd be going all the time just to check out the scene.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 2:00 PM

The kilby development is less than a block from 300 W where I bet there will be more consistent road noise compared to the occasional concert noise. With Utahs brain dead laws that allow obnoxiously loud off-road vehicles to
cruise around and other loud cars and trucks with mod exhausts the road will be worse and residents will have no ability to do anything about it. I would know I live near a semi busy road. Noise comes with the territory of living near a main road.

Outside of the Kilby concert venue, fishers and maybe a few other businesses, the area is dilapidated and run down. It’s not funky and historic and lively like Old Town Fort Collins for example. The buildings are run down. The concert venue is cool, and in a perfect world there would be development that matched the character of the area. Some mixed use 2-4 story brick buildings and wood structures with cool alley ways, plazas, side walk seating where there’s restaurants and urban art would be awesome. But we all know the best we’ll get is these giant apartment complexes. At least the developer is maintaining the alley to Kilby.

Last edited by TheGeographer; Oct 30, 2022 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2022, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post

So what is your idea of better?
Do I really have to explain how Utah housing developments could be better on a forum for urban/skyscraper enthusiasts?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post

Who cares?
Wow. I had to laugh at this obtuse comment. The developer was overzealous and had no care about the character or scale of Kilby Court. They were maximizing, maximizing, maximizing every square footage of land they had and then some, AND they were still over the zoning height maximum in the area. Immediately adjacent to it on both sides is the 1-story Fisher Brewery and the small 3-story brick building on the corner of 4th & 8th. There are also the the other 1-2 story eateries on the corner of 3rd and 8th, and the old LDS/ now buddhist chapel on 3rd West. There are also the old brick 2-story Pickle & Hide buildings adjacent to it on 4th West. I'm astonished that the City allowed them to exceed the zoning height. Central 9th has got character, and look at the scale of those buildings.

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 31, 2022 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 1:30 PM

New York Times article

Did anyone catch the article about SAlt Lake City in the Sunday Times yesterday in a special section about surging downtowns around the country?

It was talking about how downtown salt lake had surged since the pandemic. They showed a picture of downtown salt lake which wasen't very good but it showed the tower crane at the Worthington site.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 1:55 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo Man View Post
Sorry, it's a lot. Plenty that don't get much attention here though.
Never apologize for a photo update.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 3:17 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Wow. I had to laugh at this obtuse comment. The developer was overzealous and had no care about the character or scale of Kilby Court. They were maximizing, maximizing, maximizing every square footage of land they had and then some, AND they were still over the zoning height maximum in the area. Immediately adjacent to it on both sides is the 1-story Fisher Brewery and the small 3-story brick building on the corner of 4th & 8th. There are also the the other 1-2 story eateries on the corner of 3rd and 8th, and the old LDS/ now buddhist chapel on 3rd West. There are also the old brick 2-story Pickle & Hide buildings adjacent to it on 4th West. I'm astonished that the City allowed them to exceed the zoning height. Central 9th has got character, and look at the scale of those buildings.
Totally agree Orlando. I've got no problem with people building larger scale projects on that block as they need to recoup the exorbitant amounts of money they paid for the land. But that Eastern wall of the development and unbroken storefront on 800 S. is really terrible. I would have preferred them stepping it back to have the vertical components and the rear but I understand the fire implications of that with Salt Lake City fire wanting buildings to be shaped for their existing apparatus. Problem is it's just not a very good design. It will cast a huge shadow on Fisher with their expansion onto the corner. Let's be frank Fisher pioneered that block and they deserve some sort of acknowledgment. I really wish we had some sort of form based code in The Granary District.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 4:10 PM

Love that pedestrian bridge on HELIX.
The crew elevator is going up on Astra today. Moving along nicely.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 4:25 PM
Space Magi

For the curious, here's what the new school of medicine building will look like:

I have to say that it's much less cool than what was envisioned a few years ago...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 5:04 PM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
For the curious, here's what the new school of medicine building will look like:

I have to say that it's much less cool than what was envisioned a few years ago...
Why the cutback? it seems to me like they should be growing, not shrinking. Hate to see that northern end become a void, they designed that building on the northwest to have this built over top of it!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Did anyone catch the article about SAlt Lake City in the Sunday Times yesterday in a special section about surging downtowns around the country?

It was talking about how downtown salt lake had surged since the pandemic. They showed a picture of downtown salt lake which wasen't very good but it showed the tower crane at the Worthington site.
Is this the article?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/30/i...downtowns.html

Or is it this one?
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...o-seattle.html

If you are registered or have a subscription, please post the article on here and the SLC images.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West