HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 11:49 PM

Here is a thread from a few years ago...

Apparently SLC has a pretty low percentage of O&D passengers compared to other major hubs.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/aviat...arkets-us.html

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post

Apparently SLC has a pretty low percentage of O&D passengers compared to other major hubs.

Not surprised about Salt Lake City's low O&D numbers. If Delta didn't have a hub in Salt Lake City than I'm sure the Salt Lake City airport would be smaller and similar in passenger size to the airports in Oakland, Austin, Dallas-Love, Houston-Hobby, and Nashville. I would at least think an airline like JetBlue would have Salt Lake City a focus City if Delta didn't have a hub in Salt Lake City or if it were to ever dehub, which I think is doubtful. The geographical location itself will help no matter what going forward.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post

SLC does not have low O&D numbers for our size. Our PMSA population is similar to Charlotte and St. Louis and we have numbers just slightly under theirs.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:53 PM

Thanks to all for the replies regarding the O&D numbers for SLC. I appreciate your time and the links you provided. I tried but couldn't find the stats on the airport website.

I've wondered since seeing the renderings of the new main terminal. It seemed smaller than I expected. But I haven't seen floor plans or other schematics detailing specific square footage, flow patterns, etc., and perhaps it's designed in such a way that allows for moving greater numbers than its compact appearance would suggest. And Stenar, your comments helped put it in perspective, too. Thanks.

Has there been any talk of a hotel being integrated with the terminal at some point?

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipDDG View Post
Thanks to all for the replies regarding the O&D numbers for SLC. I appreciate your time and the links you provided. I tried but couldn't find the stats on the airport website.

I've wondered since seeing the renderings of the new main terminal. It seemed smaller than I expected. But I haven't seen floor plans or other schematics detailing specific square footage, flow patterns, etc., and perhaps it's designed in such a way that allows for moving greater numbers than its compact appearance would suggest. And Stenar, your comments helped put it in perspective, too. Thanks.

Has there been any talk of a hotel being integrated with the terminal at some point?
The terminal is 3 stories tall, split into arrivals and departures + something else. There is also space on the west side of the terminal for the hotel if I remember correctly. I had to do a lot of searching on line to find the floorplan (which I now can't find) but I would be surprised if they made accommodations for a 3 (or later 4) concourse airport with 70 gates on each concourse without appropriate plans for the terminal capacity.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 10:54 PM

"...but I would be surprised if they made accommodations for a 3 (or later 4) concourse airport with 70 gates on each concourse without appropriate plans for the terminal capacity."

And yet, it appears from the rendering that if they extend the main terminal to the east or west they will lose adjacent gates on the immediate south side of the A concourse. Perhaps the rendering isn't truly reflective of all aspects of the design. It just had me scratching my head. I do like the integrated artwork of the interior spaces: abstract yet fully evocative of the setting.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
The terminal is 3 stories tall, split into arrivals and departures + something else.
The "something else" would be the main concourse of the airport. For example you arrive check in and then go down to the gates/concourse. When you deplane you get on to the main concourse and then you'll go down to baggage claim and ground transportation.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
The "something else" would be the main concourse of the airport. For example you arrive check in and then go down to the gates/concourse. When you deplane you get on to the main concourse and then you'll go down to baggage claim and ground transportation.
No actually you're wrong and I remember what it is. It's the third level which is bisected by the atrium but also includes the second level of the Delta sky lounge and some other administrative offices. It's not "the Concourse", the concourse isn't part of the terminal (wow! )

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 4:41 AM

Quote:
No actually you're wrong and I remember what it is. It's the third level which is bisected by the atrium but also includes the second level of the Delta sky lounge and some other administrative offices. It's not "the Concourse", the concourse isn't part of the terminal (wow! )
Nope, the sky lounge will likely be associated with the same level as check in, you'll just have to go around and then back up is my guess. Look at the pic below and you'll be able to see. There's the top level that drops off, the bottom level that picks up and then see that direct connection to trax and the parking garage? I don't think that direct connection goes right into the delta sky lounge.

Or watch the fly through video of the terminal, you go in check-in then go DOWN a level to get to the concourse level (where security is shown) walk to the concourse and then walk out to the gates.

Last edited by jtrent77; May 31, 2017 at 4:58 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 5:15 AM
BANNED

The third level will also include customs and immigration for arriving international flights.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 8:42 PM
BANNED

Another blow to the Salt Lake City international airport. Air Canada will be ending nonstop service to Toronto after February 2018. Delta still flies the route, but I will not be surprised to see them end it as well now that Air Canada is pulling out. KLM will be the only international airline at the Salt Lake airport at that point.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
Another blow to the Salt Lake City international airport. Air Canada will be ending nonstop service to Toronto after February 2018. Delta still flies the route, but I will not be surprised to see them end it as well now that Air Canada is pulling out. KLM will be the only international airline at the Salt Lake airport at that point.
"I will not be surprised to see them end it as well now that air Canada is pulling out"

???? That makes no sense. They would be able to enjoy higher load factors and less competition.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
"I will not be surprised to see them end it as well now that air Canada is pulling out"

???? That makes no sense. They would be able to enjoy higher load factors and less competition.
Delta did it before when Air Canada dropped the route around 2007. Air Canada started the route then Delta added it just to protect their turf. As soon as Air Canada dropped it, Delta did as well. Fast forward to 2017, and we'll see if the same thing happens. Depending on the overall flight loads, they could drop it or keep it. It might just be because of the competition from Air Canada that Delta has been flying the route. Again there might not be any point with keeping it now that Air Canada is leaving. Delta could easily drop it and still funnel passengers through their hubs in MSP or DTW.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:49 AM
BANNED

Also Salt Lake City to Canada on Delta has never been that successful anyways. At different times between 2004-2012, Delta had nonstops to Edmonton, Cranbrook, Winnipeg, Victoria, and Saskatoon from Salt Lake City, but none of them made money. The first Toronto try wasn't successful either, and now we'll see if this time around if it is or still not successful. They only now have Vancouver and Calgary nonstop from Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
Delta did it before when Air Canada dropped the route around 2007. Air Canada started the route then Delta added it just to protect their turf. As soon as Air Canada dropped it, Delta did as well. Fast forward to 2017, and we'll see if the same thing happens. Depending on the overall flight loads, they could drop it or keep it. It might just be because of the competition from Air Canada that Delta has been flying the route. Again there might not be any point with keeping it now that Air Canada is leaving. Delta could easily drop it and still funnel passengers through their hubs in MSP or DTW.
That makes a lot of sense actually. Hopefully Delta keeps the route...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 5:33 AM

These are the last two construction updates that the airport posted:

May 17, 2017

The first steel beam was erected May 17 for the South Concourse, signaling the start of vertical construction.

During the next 13-17 weeks, 21,600 tons of steel (an average of 30-40 tons per day) will be brought to the site for the South Concourse, Terminal and Gateway Center.

Directional signs for the new Park-and-Wait lot are being installed in preparation for a June 1 opening.

More than 400 construction workers are now on site.

May 31, 2017

New Park and Wait lot opens June 1, 2017.

Construction crews are building rebar cage towers (24’ high) for the parking garage and rebar cage columns (33’ high) for the elevated roadway.

Preparations are underway for North Concourse construction.

Work to extend existing tunnel to connect the South and North Concourses.

About 430 workers currently on site.

Concrete pours taking place for Terminal walls.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 11:39 PM

^^^Starting to get good now

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 8:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
^^^Starting to get good now
It definitely is. I just flew into Salt Lake City about an hour ago and you can see the steel rising where the west concourse will be. You can already tell that the new concourse and terminal building will be taller in height than the current ones. It also looked like they were doing construction on the new parking garage as well.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:54 AM

It blows my mind that Salt Lake can't sustain Toronto service. Can someone please explain the factors adding up to it's failure? The Salt Lake City market is by far the largest unserved market by Air Canada in the country, and one of the largest unserved on the continent. Not to mention the busiest primary airport without Air Canada service in both North AND South America. Countless smaller cities and much smaller airports scattered across the country can sustain daily flights and even multiple daily flights. So what's the deal with SLC? Can someone please explain? I legitimately do not understand this.

Edit: Sacramento (slightly bigger than SLC). Odd as well that the capitol of California doesn't have service to Toronto. Served by nearby San Fran an hour away? Maybe.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
It blows my mind that Salt Lake can't sustain Toronto service. Can someone please explain the factors adding up to it's failure? The Salt Lake City market is by far the largest unserved market by Air Canada in the country, and one of the largest unserved on the continent. Not to mention the busiest primary airport without Air Canada service in both North AND South America. Countless smaller cities and much smaller airports scattered across the country can sustain daily flights and even multiple daily flights. So what's the deal with SLC? Can someone please explain? I legitimately do not understand this.

Edit: Sacramento (slightly bigger than SLC). Odd as well that the capitol of California doesn't have service to Toronto. Served by nearby San Fran an hour away? Maybe.
Maybe people don't realize how easy it is to transit in Toronto for trans-Atlantic flights? I've done it a couple times flying Air Canada into Toronto and then going overseas. I would think that alone could support a daily flight from SLC paired with the small O&D. But then again Air Canada is a Star Alliance partner and SLC is pretty loyal to SkyTeam so that could be a large part of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West