HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 4:16 PM
DENNAB

Looks like a giant doobie, it needs a smoke machine at the top for the real deal.

I like it though

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 7:56 PM

I quite like it, actually. The podium looks rough, but the glass paneling on the exterior and conical shape adds to the skyline quite nicely. The taper at the top is a good touch as well. Sure it isn't a complex design, but for an ultra-skinny tower, I like it. Certainly leagues better in terms of originality compared to Tower Fifth. To be honest The rendering in the skyline sells me more so on this than the design on its own, but a building is often more about context than itself anyway so I don't reduce that to just 'perspective' in my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
I quite like it, actually. The podium looks rough, but the glass paneling on the exterior and conical shape adds to the skyline quite nicely. The taper at the top is a good touch as well. Sure it isn't a complex design, but for an ultra-skinny tower, I like it. Certainly leagues better in terms of originality compared to Tower Fifth. To be honest The rendering in the skyline sells me more so on this than the design on its own, but a building is often more about context than itself anyway so I don't reduce that to just 'perspective' in my opinion.
Podium looks like a heat sink.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:59 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 2:19 PM
BANNED

I’d be surprised if anything tall rises here. I’m expecting something like the Riu Hotel across the street to be built. Perhaps this will be 500’-600’.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I’d be surprised if anything tall rises here. I’m expecting something like the Riu Hotel across the street to be built. Perhaps this will be 500’-600’.
That's extremely unlikely, given that Boston Properties assembled massive air rights for this site, and then Extell bought Theater District transferable air rights. I think they can build 1.3 million square feet.

The Riu Hotel sits on the other side of 8th, which has much lower zoning.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That's extremely unlikely, given that Boston Properties assembled massive air rights for this site, and then Extell bought Theater District transferable air rights. I think they can build 1.3 million square feet.

I hope that you're correct.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 3:41 PM
DENNAB

I guess the giant cigar still isn't a real proposal? I kinda liked that

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Yeah, we know Extell doesn’t bullshit when it comes to development rights and height. Something decent will get built, just not right away.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 10:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The interior demo is always a positive step. Hopefully something worthy rises here. Very prime area.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 7:51 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Permits Filed For 264 West 46th Street In Midtown, Manhattan

Quote:
Permits have been filed for a ten-story commercial building at 264 West 46th Street in Midtown, Manhattan. The lot also addressed as 740 Eighth Avenue, is located at the intersection of Eighth Avenue and West 46th Street, and has been speculated to be the site of a supertall. Extell is listed as the owner behind the applications.

The proposed 164-foot-tall development will likely be the podium for a future supertall, yielding 303,365 square feet, with 194,552 square feet designated for commercial space. The steel-based structure will also have a cellar, two sub-cellars, and two penthouses. Additional permits are expected to be filed.

Mario Yao of SLCE Architects is listed as the architect of record.

Just a short walk south is the Times Square-42 Street subway station, serviced by the A, C, E, N, Q, R, W, S, 1, 2, 3, and 7 trains. The buses at the Port Authority Bus Terminal are also within walking distance.

Demolition permits will likely not be needed as the lot is vacant. An estimated completion date has not been announced.
=====================
NYY

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 9:42 PM
New Yorker for life

And so another Extell development begins to crank. The owners are listed as 726 Eighth LLC, David Rothstein, who is in charge of construction at Extell.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 10:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
And so another Extell development begins to crank. The owners are listed as 726 Eighth LLC, David Rothstein, who is in charge of construction at Extell.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01
I expect a squat 700-800' jumbo hotel.

This area doesn't work warrant hyper-expensive condos that would justify the cost of a supertall.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 12:27 AM

Reminds me of the Chicago Spire, but untwisted. I hope this has a better fate.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Reminds me of the Chicago Spire, but untwisted. I hope this has a better fate.
I think that’s just a concept.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I expect a squat 700-800' jumbo hotel.

This area doesn't work warrant hyper-expensive condos that would justify the cost of a supertall.
Neither did 9 DeKalb in Brooklyn, but look at that rise. This is a pretty sizable lot, and Extell has shown more than anyone that they aren't afraid to build tall. I don't believe we've seen the design for what will rise here though. I expect a mixed-use tower. But I don't know if we'll be seeing new hotels for a while.

This is the site that was going to be developed by Related when Extell was pushing for the World Product Center on 34th Street (now 55 Hudson Yards). The swap was meant to be beneficial to both parties, and Extell no doubt saw a better opportunity here, while Related go to include another property in it's development (and keep Extell from using the 1 Hudson Yards name).

This is what Extell gave up...

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...36&postcount=8

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...6&postcount=20

That was the proposal for the site that would become Related's 55 Hudson Yards. We have yet to see what Barnett will do for Related's former site on 8th Avenue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/n...son-yards.html

Developer May Swap Land for More in Hudson Yards

By Charles V. Bagli
May 17, 2013

Quote:
There has never been a lot of love lost between the rival developers Gary Barnett of Extell and Stephen M. Ross of Related Companies.

But the two men, both prolific builders, are putting aside their differences long enough to exchange properties and money on the real estate chessboard known as Manhattan.

On Friday afternoon, the two sides were exchanging deal documents under which Mr. Ross would agree to buy a one-acre site owned by Mr. Barnett on the east side of 11th Avenue, between 33rd and 34th Streets, for an undisclosed sum, according to three people who have been briefed on the negotiations but were not authorized to discuss the agreement.

At the same time, Related Companies and Boston Properties would sell Extell a small parcel on the east side of Eighth Avenue, between 45th and 46th Streets, where Related and Boston had once wanted to build an office tower.

.....Mr. Barnett and a partner have long owned the parcel just north of the rail yard, at the corner of 33rd Street and 11th Avenue, where Mr. Barnett wanted to build his own 56-story office tower, called One Hudson Yards.

Mr. Barnett had stymied Related’s plan to build an office tower at the Eighth Avenue property. He leads a group that owns an adjoining parcel, where they could now build an even larger tower.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:03 AM
BANNED

I recall that.

Good point re: 9 DeKalb.

I'd like something very tall here, but I think that Extell's site on 5th and 46th is even more important. I fear that a fat, L-shaped box may rise there.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I recall that.

Good point re: 9 DeKalb.

I'd like something very tall here, but I think that Extell's site on 5th and 46th is even more important. I fear that a fat, L-shaped box may rise there.

Both sites can support nice development, just like the city itself can see multiple developments at the same time. Extell alone put up CPT and 1 MSq and Citypoint at basically the same time. It will probably be a while before anything rises on either site, but good to get the ball rolling and ready.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:42 AM
BANNED

Another site where I hope for a supertall is the full-block Manhattan Hotel in Times Sq which the group from Qatar owns.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Another site where I hope for a supertall is the full-block Manhattan Hotel in Times Sq which the group from Qatar owns.
Yeh I hope that goes way beyond 1500ft!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction