HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 20, 2006, 11:45 AM
BANNED

that would be great Because Donald Trump builds tall scrapers

Old Posted May 21, 2006, 2:49 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55
Good article..

It doesn't sound too much like they are building anything that tall at all though which is disappointing, but it will look nice none the less.

Where are all the Baltimore people on this forum? they are hiding...

Harbor Vue East is starting to look pretty nice.....

Does anyone know on if 10 Inner Harbor is 110% approved?

Also I heard that Donald Trump had an interest in Baltimore, but I know he's busy doing stuff in Chicago and now planning to build a huge hotel in Dubai.
Yes, 10 Inner Harbor is approved. The official announcement should come pretty soon.

Old Posted May 22, 2006, 12:08 PM
BANNED

Baltimore Experiencing An Economic Renaissance

(WJZ) BALTIMORE After years on the decline, Baltimore businesses appear to be on the verge of an economic comeback. Of course, that news is evident to the naked eye with major construction and reconstruction projects occurring across the city.

"About four years ago people start to rediscover Baltimore and realize it has a lot of tremendous attributes and reasons to be hopeful for great success," Donald Fry, President of the Greater Baltimore Committee, tells WJZ's Tim Williams.

The Greater Baltimore Committee is responsible for bringing large-scale development and revitalization to the city. Fry points to renewed interest in the city which is driving the housing and business markets--much of it from people who left the city years ago.

"And when they see the activity, they see the excitement that's occurring, and they see the new projects, it makes them think, "Boy I'd better get in on this while I can,'" Fry said.

According to the committee, Baltimore lost more than 60,000 jobs and 85,000 residents during the 1990s. But since 2000, projects worth nearly $11 billion are completed or nearly finished, and 11,000 new jobs have been created.

Business leaders say Baltimore is experiencing a renaissance. While there are many economic indicators to show you how well a city is doing, Fry says one way to tell is simply by looking up.

"If you just count the number of cranes that are dotting the skyline, that will give you an indication of how healthy that city is," he said.

Old Posted May 22, 2006, 7:13 PM
Baltimore

Funny, for the first time in a long time I watched the news last night, and it happened to be about Bmore development and was in fact the same story (and words) as you have above. It was on WJZ!!! Crazy cuz I don't watch the news too often. It didn't tell people like us anything that we didn't know as we know how well Baltimore is growing right now, but it was nice for the general public.

Last edited by Ktulured55; May 22, 2006 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2006, 7:21 PM
Baltimore

Arrow Hopefully they will updated on emporis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
Yes, 10 Inner Harbor is approved. The official announcement should come pretty soon.
Yes!!!!!!

How do you know? I know you have some 'in' with the city but what is it? and also I noticed... (tell me if I"m wrong), from reading earlier on in the forum.. this used to be a $300 million investment .... and that's with the proposed 717ft. 59 story.... . now that it is a $400 million investment, does that mean they are making it taller? or does it mean something else? (the design on the arc wheeler site is still the same ) what is up with the extra $100 million, to what use could it be for if not making the building bigger and/or taller ?

Old Posted May 22, 2006, 8:05 PM
Sky is the limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktulured55
Yes!!!!!!

How do you know? I know you have some 'in' with the city but what is it? and also I noticed... (tell me if I"m wrong), from reading earlier on in the forum.. this used to be a $300 million investment .... and that's with the proposed 717ft. 59 story.... . now that it is a $400 million investment, does that mean they are making it taller? or does it mean something else? (the design on the arc wheeler site is still the same ) what is up with the extra $100 million, to what use could it be for if not making the building bigger and/or taller ?
Steven contacted Arc Wheeler a little while ago, and they assurred us that 10 Inner will be built. Also they said that they are still in planning and in fact making the building taller with a nice crown on top. So my guess is that this tower could break the 800 ft mark at least. Just my guess.

Old Posted May 22, 2006, 10:07 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

http://www.arcwheeler.com/news/414FrontPage.pdf

Click the link above and read.

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 12:17 PM
BANNED

I hope a lot taller 800 to a 1000 feet would be nice.

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 1:57 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorescottamanda
One Light Street (approved)

I am mad to, how do they come from the first design to the second one. The first one was great. Even if they scaled the first one down it would look a hole lot better than the new design.
that new render is terrible. it looks like one of trump's bad projects. i just congradulated baltimore on the possibilty of more tall towers - but this just sucks. i like that first rendering a lot better. the latter was probably a design by committee that has no design sense what-so-ever.

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 9:50 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKofMANHATTAN
that new render is terrible. it looks like one of trump's bad projects. i just congradulated baltimore on the possibilty of more tall towers - but this just sucks. i like that first rendering a lot better. the latter was probably a design by committee that has no design sense what-so-ever.
well, don't get too down just yet. it may change back to the original. The developer behind One Light Street isn't really one for getting things "off the ground". Maybe some other developer will buy that lot and transform it into what will be the "right" project. This developer has had this property WAY too long.

Old Posted May 23, 2006, 9:51 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

BTW, here's another article talking about the two new tallest towers:

City construction stills the music again
By JEN DEGREGORIO
Daily Record Business Writer
May 23, 2006

The Hammerjacks nightclub was resurrected on Baltimore’s East Side after losing its West Side home to stadium parking. On Saturday the club will be quieted again in order to make room for a 60-story mixed-use tower. “Yes, the rumors are true. May 27 Hammerjacks will be closing their doors forever.”

That is the voice-mail message left by Hammerjacks, a Baltimore nightclub once legendary for luring big-name rock performers to Charm City during the 1980s and 1990s. The club has traveled a tortuous path to its current incarnation as a venue for the hip-hop and dance set. Hammerjacks was forced to move from its long-time home on South Howard Street in 1997 to make room for parking spaces for Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium. It reopened in 2000 on Guilford Avenue just north of City Hall and led a more humble existence ever since.

Once again the club will close. Developers are buying the Hammerjacks building at 316 Guilford Ave. as part of a footprint on which plans call for a 60-story skyscraper that could be completed by 2010. The deal is expected to close Monday. “Hammerjacks has been an institution in this city for quite some time,” said J. Kirby Fowler, president of the Downtown Partnership of Baltimore Inc. “I’m not sure if it will resurrect itself elsewhere.”

Although the Hammerjacks voice-mail said the club will close its doors “forever,” it is unclear whether a new club by the same name would open in another Baltimore location. Club owner Michael Hunter did not return phone calls for comment. “Hammerjacks was successful as a place to go party,” said Mariano Mumpower, a Baltimore DJ who goes by the stage name Soulminer. “They had hip-hop shows. Big names in gangster rap music came there.”

Fowler said he regrets seeing an end to the era. But he believes new construction and residents will be better for downtown. “Downtown still is the spot for night life, and the loss of one bar won’t hurt that image one bit,” Fowler told The Daily Record in an interview last week

For many, the Hammerjacks era ended when the club closed in 1997, said Bud Becker, an advertising and marketing consultant for the club from 1986 to 1992. Band Guns ‘N’ Roses made its East Coast debut at Hammerjacks, he said. Nirvana, Poison and Motley Crue were among other bands whose tour buses stopped there.

“It was the premier rock venue on the East Coast,” Becker said.

Original owner Lou Principio reluctantly sold the building to the city in 1997 to make way for the stadium parking, according to reports that year in the Baltimore Sun. Principio then reopened the club on Guilford, targeting a different demographic. But the Hammerjacks on Guilford never became the icon for hip-hop fans that the South Howard venue was for rock fans, Mumpower said.

“You don’t really hear too much about it because Power Plant Live has really taken over a lot of that dance crowd,” Becker said, referring to the sprawling downtown complex created by developer The Cordish Co. According to land records, Principio sold the Guilford Hammerjacks in 2004 to 316 Guilford Avenue LLC, a limited liability company that lists Hunter, the club’s new owner, as the property’s resident agent.

The music will stop altogether at 316 Guilford Ave., now controlled by RWN Development Inc. and Rockville-based Bresler & Reiner Inc. The developers are flirting with the idea of opening a restaurant in the space while they finalize their plans to build a 60-story, mixed-use tower there.

The companies also plan to build another 60-story tower just blocks away from the Hammerjacks spot, on top of property where a more rock-oriented club, Sonar, operates on Saratoga Street. One…., another nightclub, sits on the opposite side of Saratoga Street. Mumpower wonders what effect the towers will have on the area’s music scene. “That completely changes that whole area,” Mumpower said.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 7:04 AM
BANNED

Thats great news By 2010 Baltimore's skyline is going to look totally different. People that haven't seen it in a long time probably won't even notice it.

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 8:42 PM
Baltimore

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
http://www.arcwheeler.com/news/414FrontPage.pdf

Click the link above and read.
This link didn't work for me for some reason. What does it basically say? are there any new renderings?

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 8:50 PM
Baltimore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMD3417
I hope a lot taller 800 to a 1000 feet would be nice.
If it even hits 800 ft, I will be so happy, although 717 is a large height above our Legg Mason building of 529 ft.

But 800+

We need this building in either case, and plus if those other developers want to make the "tallest building in Balimore", the taller 10 Inner Harbor is, the taller they will have to build both of their buildings on the north side

Anyone have any new construction pics of anything? (Zenith, Ritz-Carlton, Vue Harbor East, 414 Water St.) ???

Old Posted May 24, 2006, 9:12 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

The link shows the approval of 10 Inner Harbor's design and gives a very LARGE picture of 10 Inner Harbor. You can rest assured that this tower will be AT LEAST 717 ft. tall.

Old Posted May 25, 2006, 3:25 AM
BANNED

414 Water st

The Vue Harbor East

Old Posted May 25, 2006, 4:36 PM
Baltimore

Nice pics Husky!!!

It looks like Vue Harbor East is 15 stories? going on 16th.... that's about halfway up or so... although it will stand a good height, this building could have definately been a few stories taller or even MANY stories taller as it's right on the water and as our city continues to prosper and grow, locations like that one will be so hard to come by and get.... frankly this building could be double the height and should have no problems filling it at all. But oh well....

and Steven... if it's 717 for 10 Inner Harbor.. with all the extra money in it, I hope it is some taller 60+ stories and at least 750 ft, or 800, 900.... hehe

yeah.. I went to the sight itself and could not open the pdf file, there is an error when I try to do it on this comp

Old Posted May 25, 2006, 8:38 PM
BANNED

Yea I agree Vue Harbor east isn't tall enough. It's not even going to be noticeable from the inner harbor it's going to be block by the Marriott.

Old Posted May 25, 2006, 10:31 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Don't forget about the 4 Seasons Towers going right in front of the Vue Tower as well.

Old Posted May 26, 2006, 6:36 PM
Baltimore

Question

But how tall is the 4 Seasons supposed to be? It will be shorter than Vue Harbor East right? That one could be taller as well....

and how did Husky now get banned? Do you know what is up with all of the Baltimore forumers getting banned? They put in good info and comments. How do they get banned?

I've seen people in other forums on this site use all the curse words in the book and not get banned... so that can't be it... I can't think of any other reason why they would get banned.. and is it permanent or just for a couple days or weeks?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations