HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_account12 View Post

There is really not much development space left between Girard and Spring Garden. Fairmount, Francisville, Spring Garden, and Northern Liberties are all dense, walkable, self sufficient neighborhoods with decent transit access. Poplar could be similar but instead its a suburban style food desert. I'm not advocating for razing the whole neighborhood, but it is extremely disappointing that it was built in a way that almost completely prevents infill and doesn't allow for organic growth of the neighborhood/community living there.
+1

I understand the argument that when this development was designed, there was some thinking behind how it ended up being built as a suburban neighborhood. But it still doesn't change the fact that this thinking has since been shown to be without merit.

And while I understand that there were positive and somewhat forward thinking aspects to this development, such as rent to own, private green space, a community center and a public health center, etc., none of the positive aspects of this development are intrinsic to the suburban style in which it was built.

This development has not stood the test of time, and it arguably failed that test even before it was built. A tree lined rowhouse neighborhood with houses with back yards, a smattering of office and retail spaces, the community center and health center, a school, etc. would have not only served the residents who live here better, but it would have enabled roughly 3X as many of people to live here.

And now that people will start selling some of these houses in a few years once they're able, this neighborhood will look crazy and disjointed for decades as a bunch of suburban houses with giant yards sit interspersed amongst larger developments.

You can point out these failures while still appreciating that there are people who enjoy living in it.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 7:49 PM

If you want to be sad look at this photo of 9th and Girard from 1913:

same view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/90...!4d-75.1513002

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
What an upgrade. That damn dollar tree next door has been massacred so badly haha. It was called the Jumbo Theater and NIMBYs ruined a good project there back in 2009. Imagine living next to an El stop and saying a venue would be a nuisance...
Remember that?

I think the only good that came from that debacle is that I recall it may have been the turning/tipping point that prompted the "new" Fishtowners to wrangle control of the FNA (Fishtown Neighborhood Association) from the "old" Fishtowners.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post

It's crazy that Northern Liberties/Fishtown/South Kensington have developed their own little mid rise downtown before South Broad took off. South Broad from South to Washington is baffling. Between the gas stations, empty lots, Dunkin and Popeyes, it's an ugly area.
Yep it's bizarre. Most of it is ownership. I'm pretty sure Kenny Gamble owns the large lot at Broad and Christian and I've been told they are actively refusing to develop it or sell it.

The weird lot at Broad and Bainbridge (across from the gas station) is finally under construction and the Broad and Fitz townhome mansions are at least infill. The McDonalds at Broad and Carpenter closed a few months ago and rumors are swirling about a development there....

It's baffling that the city was so desperate for any development that they allowed it to happen... times they are a changing...

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:42 AM

Another Apartment Building Upcoming on the 200 Block of Vine

Current site:

Aerial of current site:

Aerial of site plan:

Project Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...200-block-vine

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
+1

I understand the argument that when this development was designed, there was some thinking behind how it ended up being built as a suburban neighborhood. But it still doesn't change the fact that this thinking has since been shown to be without merit.

And while I understand that there were positive and somewhat forward thinking aspects to this development, such as rent to own, private green space, a community center and a public health center, etc., none of the positive aspects of this development are intrinsic to the suburban style in which it was built.

This development has not stood the test of time, and it arguably failed that test even before it was built. A tree lined rowhouse neighborhood with houses with back yards, a smattering of office and retail spaces, the community center and health center, a school, etc. would have not only served the residents who live here better, but it would have enabled roughly 3X as many of people to live here.

And now that people will start selling some of these houses in a few years once they're able, this neighborhood will look crazy and disjointed for decades as a bunch of suburban houses with giant yards sit interspersed amongst larger developments.

You can point out these failures while still appreciating that there are people who enjoy living in it.
a hodgepodge of housing styles, vacant and filled lots and varying building types are common in areas that are seeing new construction activity for the first time in 60 or 70 years. I mean its not exactly a cohesive look in this part of north philadelphia for a host of reasons. Doesn't seem to be stopping developers from showing interest in this area. But there arent many in tact, aesthetically pleasing blocks in this part of town. On many blocks brand new homes sit next to overgrown vacant lots and down the street from vacant or underutilized warehouse type structures. I mean the logic is getting pretty twisted- we are supposed to be upset that when the PHA stuff was built 20-25 years ago that they didnt adequately plan for how this would affect development that would replace the homes. Development that was inconceivable in the 90s. Back then what was built was seen as a huge improvement over what existed previously. But those that believe traditional compact housing projects are preferable due to their superior commitment to urban principles should note there is still some left north of this location near 10th and Girard as well as near 11th and norris.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:51 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Another Apartment Building Upcoming on the 200 Block of Vine

Current site:

Aerial of current site:

Aerial of site plan:

Project Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...200-block-vine
I really like this project! Nice brickwork, higher and better property use, and integrating a handsome historic building into the project.

I wish there was a small retail component though, it would add some energy to that sleepy stretch.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 7:52 PM
Chris

Overbuilding coming to 305 N 15th Street.

This sounds promising since Atrium is handling the design, and good for this dreary stretch.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...eet-expressway

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Overbuilding coming to 305 N 15th Street.

This sounds promising since Atrium is handling the design, and good for this dreary stretch.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...eet-expressway
It's less dreary than it was just a few years ago with the Hanover development and the Children's court. Really the biggest issue is the massive PAFA/Parkway lot at 15th and Cherry. I'm assuming this lot is another example of Parkway repping a Fort Lauderdale-based owner who doesn't give AF.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 12:58 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It's less dreary than it was just a few years ago with the Hanover development and the Children's court. Really the biggest issue is the massive PAFA/Parkway lot at 15th and Cherry. I'm assuming this lot is another example of Parkway repping a Fort Lauderdale-based owner who doesn't give AF.
Nah, Parkway owns it and it's been available for years-- someone will eventually take the leap

https://www.parkwaycorp.com/real-est...-cherry-street

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 4:31 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Man, that lot is so ripe for development, nonetheless a CMX-5 designation. If Comcast ever wanted another tower nearby, this would be it! If not, we could use another supertall at this spot for a major corporation willing to set up operations here.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Nah, Parkway owns it and it's been available for years-- someone will eventually take the leap

https://www.parkwaycorp.com/real-est...-cherry-street
Interesting - kind of a shame that PAFA isn't in a better position - from a growth standpoint and financially - to partner with Parkway to put something here.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 9:15 PM

Remember the 2 cool 150 year old rowhomes down the block at 15th and Cherry that were demolished?

Ambit had a really cool design for it but we're stuck with an empty lot.
https://www.ambitarchitecture.com/pr...cherry-street/

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 3:09 AM

^^ why wasnt that beauty built? Its such an interesting design, and its decently tall too! It wold have fit well there

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post
^^ why wasnt that beauty built? Its such an interesting design, and its decently tall too! It wold have fit well there
Because that rendering was a mirage designed only to knock down buildings. It was never meant for this world.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Because that rendering was a mirage designed only to knock down buildings. It was never meant for this world.
Yep. And I think we all knew it at the time as well.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 1:41 PM
Future World Dictator

https://www.inquirer.com/business/gi...-20210507.html

Another Giant in Center City, this one at 801 Market. I mean, I can't complain given that a lack of grocery stores was one of the biggest issues I thought we had, but how many Giant's does Center City need?!

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 2:19 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
It's a good move by Giant. Supports the nearby residential apartments on Market East. Enough density to support the supermarket and will likely bring more residential development in the future. Big win overall.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 2:36 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/business/gi...-20210507.html

Another Giant in Center City, this one at 801 Market. I mean, I can't complain given that a lack of grocery stores was one of the biggest issues I thought we had, but how many Giant's does Center City need?!
There's something else besides Giant Heirloom coming to Strawbridge's building as well. I just caught a glimpse of a sign for <something-something> family department store coming soon as I zipped by on the bus yesterday. Would someone in the vicinity go by there and see what it says?

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 2:37 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
It's a good move by Giant. Supports the nearby residential apartments on Market East. Enough density to support the supermarket and will likely bring more residential development in the future. Big win overall.
Yeah, it's a good location, but if they build all the supermarkets mentioned in the article, they'll have 8 (if I did my math right!) locations in Center City and the neighborhoods immediately surrounding it. I guess I'm just a bit surprised they think they need that many, especially when you consider other grocery stores have expanded in and around Center City recently.

Also, I missed this the first time I read the article, but one of the locations is apparently going to be part of the development at Broad and Washington. I'd given up hope of that lot ever actually being developed, but maybe if Giant is committed, it will actually start to move forward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development