HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 8:29 PM
METRO: Encanto

I've never understood all of the hate that the AMC Theatres receive here. It's our go-to location for movies, at least it was when we were going to the movies, will be again soon hopefully. If there is a cleanliness issue I've missed it, if that is what the "filthy" comment suggested. The place has comfortable stadium seating, shows first run movies and has the basic concessions I would expect at such a place. Why the antipathy?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I've never understood all of the hate that the AMC Theatres receive here. It's our go-to location for movies, at least it was when we were going to the movies, will be again soon hopefully. If there is a cleanliness issue I've missed it, if that is what the "filthy" comment suggested. The place has comfortable stadium seating, shows first run movies and has the basic concessions I would expect at such a place. Why the antipathy?
I dont think its all AMC's just the one at AZ center.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 9:30 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The interior of the theater is a little drab and dated, but not intolerable in any way. The real problem for me is the exterior. There's a big array of ticket windows that are never staffed. Instead, tickets are now sold at the concession stand inside. That contributes to the lifeless feel of the Arizona Center and makes it sometimes hard to even remember the theater is open for business.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 9:40 PM

I think that theater is just fine, but all I'm looking for is a chair, a screen and a speaker. I'm not hard to please.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 10:36 PM

I think someone else said this before but that theater seems like it could be half the size, with the other half being another residential tower. Is that theater ever using that much space efficiently?

The malls that are thriving right now are pushing luxury and or experiences. Luxury brands aren’t going to open in mall on life support. I think ideally the mall would try to partner with Meow Wolf to create some sort of art attraction in the interior of the mall. Then get an anchor market/restaurant like an “Eataly.”

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I dont think its all AMC's just the one at AZ center.
That's the one I was talking about. I said Theatres because of the multiple screens there.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
I think someone else said this before but that theater seems like it could be half the size, with the other half being another residential tower.
That part I get. I was reacting to a filthy relic remains that has universally bad reviews.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 1:14 AM
Skyriser

I was only responding what Yelp says. It doesn't seem like its been renovated ever, has problematic bathrooms indicating a larger plumbing problem, speakers due for replacement, and yes, it's messy according to the last two years worth of reviews. I wouldn't sit in seats that looked like that picture.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/amc-arizona...t_by=date_desc

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 5:27 PM
Modulator

AMC Arizona Center needs a major overhaul if it's to remain in business. It is majorly outdated and lacks todays theater amenities (IMAX, dine-in seating, alcohol sales, reclining luxury seating). As Sean said, the bathrooms and seats are in severe disrepair. This was my go to theater for a few years before Covid. I went every week after work as a quick way to get in a new release cheaply. I can attest to the problems reported by reviews. They are not made up and I have frequently sat in a broken chair (or two) before finding a good seat. On that note, the seating also does not recline and can get pretty uncomfortable after sitting for an hour and a half. Also, the bathroom stalls/urinals were frequently out of order and blocked off with trashs bags.

With all that being said, AMC was to be in the process to undergo an extensive renovation and update along with cutting back the theater count to nearly half:
Quote:
The existing AMC Arizona Center 24 movie theater is 90,000 square feet and has 24 screens, which Root said is an “outdated” model. A cinema about half its size will be constructed in its place, and additional retail and residential space — possibly student housing — will eventually be attached on the theater’s north side.

“We have a number of regional and national theaters right now that we’re finalizing negotiations [with], including our existing operator, AMC, to redevelop that whole footprint into a more immersive theater that changes the way we experience film,” Root said. “Think of in-cinema dining, bar offerings, reclining seats, really just a great experience to bring people together.”
I am not sure what the status of that is since the epidemic put everything to a crawl and if AMC is still looking at this.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 4:14 PM

Looks like several permits were recently issued by the city for the Palm Court tower. Appears to be gearing up for a ground-breaking.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalzonie View Post
Looks like several permits were recently issued by the city for the Palm Court tower. Appears to be gearing up for a ground-breaking.
Thanks for the information hope this breaks ground before end of the year

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 4:58 PM

Palm Tower
Palm Tower Banner (2021-10-09)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:09 PM
Modulator

Palm Tower FAA evals were submitted on the 19th (4 total) with a height listed at 316' and work starting on 11/15. Although I take work schedule dates lightly on the FAA evaluations, there have also been a couple permits submitted in the last week and there are multiple marking flags on the lot. There's also an electric trailer parked on the street just in front of APS, but I don't know if this has anything to do with Palm Tower. Either way, I'm betting we see action very soon

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...98015171&row=2

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Palm Tower FAA evals were submitted on the 19th (4 total) with a height listed at 316' and work starting on 11/15. Although I take dates lightly on the FAA evaluations, there have also been a couple permits submitted in the last week and there are multiple marking flags on the lot. There's also an electric trailer parked on the street just in front of APS, but I don't know if this has anything to do with Palm Tower. Either way, I'm betting we see action very soon

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...98015171&row=2
316' would make it the tallest building downtown since 44 Monroe right?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:33 PM
Modulator

Quote:
316' would make it the tallest building downtown since 44 Monroe right?
Nope. Link is 350'

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 6:32 PM

They cut down all the palm trees on the inside of the fenced off area this morning. Palm trees outside the fence are still intact. You guys know better than me, but I assume we will see some activity here soon.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 6:47 PM

Yes it appears construction is imminent. Finally! I was worried this would go the way of Barrister its been planed for so long.

Now if we can get central station off the ground that would be incredible.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 7:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Yes it appears construction is imminent. Finally! I was worried this would go the way of Barrister its been planed for so long.

Now if we can get central station off the ground that would be incredible.
They've had a lot of prep activity going on lately. I'm betting on a ground-breaking by mid-December.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The interior of the theater is a little drab and dated, but not intolerable in any way. The real problem for me is the exterior. There's a big array of ticket windows that are never staffed. Instead, tickets are now sold at the concession stand inside. That contributes to the lifeless feel of the Arizona Center and makes it sometimes hard to even remember the theater is open for business.
When I first moved here a year ago, I thought it was an abandoned theater judging by the outside where 90+% of the exterior decorative light bulbs are burnt out, and the landscape sprinklers near the street are fully committed to excessively watering dirt and sand. It started to look like an episode of History Channel's Life After People.

Fortunately, I walked by often enough to see signs of activity. I'll give it a shot one of these days, but the Yelp reviews and comments on this forum give me low expectations, which I'm hoping will be exceeded.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 10:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Peace View Post
I'll give it a shot one of these days, but the Yelp reviews and comments on this forum give me low expectations, which I'm hoping will be exceeded.
The cheap tickets and low amount of theater patrons make it worth it. You can practically grab any seat and stand in a very short concession line. This was my go theater when I was working Downtown. I actually miss going there despite it's problems.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest