HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 9:11 AM

St Johns - Image problem?

Provocative title I know, Long term follower of this forum but first ever post so be gentle .

I am 3 weeks out from moving to downtown St. Johns having been a regular visitor to the city over the last 5 years (herself is a local), Absolutely love the city and the people and very excited to get an opportunity to experience it as a resident in the coming months.

While this may be a bit naive and possibly has been addressed on the forum before I always wondered why St.Johns has never looked to put its overhead wiring and cables (particularly in the downtown core) underground, I love the old core especially the Jellybean style structures but I always feel the ugly overhead cables destroy the aesthetic look of the city. Being from Europe (from a smaller city myself) our councils began the movement of the majority of these lines some years ago with the result creating a major enhancements of the streetscapes. I know cost can always be the get out but I would have thought given the climate there it would be more beneficial to route these below ground to stave off storm damage etc.

I know more pressing things in the world and all but always wondered had there been plans to do this and if so why hasn't it been done? would love to see a bit more effort going into enhancing the urban core (outside of new developments). I've asked a couple of friends over there and got varying answers over the years but thought if anyone would know it would be you folk, thanks in advance!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's