HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 6:01 PM

And it looks to be going ahead soon. Even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Looks fantastic. I agree with Calgarian, it's what Brookfield should have looked like.

I noticed over at SRC there's a new proposal for Bridgeland that looks promising. I'd like to see more of this around Calgary.
http://calgary.skyrisecities.com/for...tecture.27884/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 6:36 PM

I found another cool little project at skyrise called Switchblock, and it already looks to be u/c. The more of these the merrier.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown_Tim View Post
The crown lighting is on at 707-5th. Looks great, pics over at SRC.
Just an observation.

When SSP has an update that is not on SRC, the SRC folks usually take that update and replicate it, and then advertise their update. Surreal Places did that for example with the Brookfield crown colour lighting test images. Copied it over, and then tweeted it out saying people can see more at SRC.

When SRC has an update that is not on SSP, the SRC folks, as well as some SSP folks, just direct everyone to SRC.

I have no issue with either actually, but just pointing out the difference.

And yeah, the 707-5 crown lighting looks very nice. It is quite well diffused across the entire volume. Not sure if because of different lighting or different glass, or a combination.

As I mentioned previously, the Brookfield coloured lighting seem to cover more of the volume than the original white lights, but still quite different from 707-5. I don't mind the difference and think differences add character anyway.

Both are moving in the positive direction!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:29 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Looks fantastic. I agree with Calgarian, it's what Brookfield should have looked like.

I noticed over at SRC there's a new proposal for Bridgeland that looks promising. I'd like to see more of this around Calgary.
http://calgary.skyrisecities.com/for...tecture.27884/
Nice! Reminds me of that proposal next to the Simmons building in East Village. Any idea where it would be located?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:34 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
I found another cool little project at skyrise called Switchblock, and it already looks to be u/c. The more of these the merrier.
Not digging the mansard roof looking front. It looks like a reno to an old building.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 8:36 PM
Fake News

Yeah 707's lighting is what Brookfield's should have been. So awesome looking!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:09 PM
No man's land

You lost me at:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
When SSP has an update that is not on SRC

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:19 PM

Just an observation, stop being a whining ball-baby. Why are you pointing out the difference to me? I really don't care. I mentioned that there were pics of the crown over at SRC in case someone wanted to see the pics. The pics are usually too large to re-post. That and I don't have the time to go and re-post them to people like you who are too lazy to go look for yourself.
Why is it there are always seems to be info over at skyrise that people here have never heard of? Because if someone doesn't at least mention it here, nobody will know about it.

end/rant

Quote:
Just an observation.

When SSP has an update that is not on SRC, the SRC folks usually take that update and replicate it, and then advertise their update. Surreal Places did that for example with the Brookfield crown colour lighting test images. Copied it over, and then tweeted it out saying people can see more at SRC.

When SRC has an update that is not on SSP, the SRC folks, as well as some SSP folks, just direct everyone to SRC.

I have no issue with either actually, but just pointing out the difference.

And yeah, the 707-5 crown lighting looks very nice. It is quite well diffused across the entire volume. Not sure if because of different lighting or different glass, or a combination.

As I mentioned previously, the Brookfield coloured lighting seem to cover more of the volume than the original white lights, but still quite different from 707-5. I don't mind the difference and think differences add character anyway.

Both are moving in the positive direction!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just an observation, stop being a whining ball-baby. Why are you pointing out the difference to me? I really don't care. I mentioned that there were pics of the crown over at SRC in case someone wanted to see the pics. The pics are usually too large to re-post. That and I don't have the time to go and re-post them to people like you who are too lazy to go look for yourself.
Why is it there are always seems to be info over at skyrise that people here have never heard of? Because if someone doesn't at least mention it here, nobody will know about it.

end/rant
It wasn't a jab at you. In fact the in between the lines view was your method was more classy.

Further, I wasn't "too lazy to go look" and in fact in my post I commented on the lighting.

Move on.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
It wasn't a jab at you. In fact the in between the lines view was your method was more classy.

Further, I wasn't "too lazy to go look" and in fact in my post I commented on the lighting.

Move on.
Okay fair enough. The other thing is, I use my phone a lot...and with it the speech to text function, so it's much easier just to mention something.

I didn't mean to go on a rant, I don't post stuff from SRC that often, but it seems like whenever I do people take a suck attack at me.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 9:42 PM

I don't care if updates from SRC are mentioned here, it doesn't matter to me either way. I will say one thing however. A good number of people at SRC are people from SSP, and I notice that when updates are put onto SRC most those people have already seen it and commented on it before it's mentioned here. The SSP who haven't already seen it at SRC are the people who refuse to go there. either way, they aren't getting the info and updates.

Quote:

end/rant

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:00 PM
power to the people!

Not even two full pages in, and this thread is already off the rails with useless bullshit.

Good work.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineman View Post
Not even two full pages in, and this thread is already off the rails with useless bullshit.

Good work.
Sadly it's far more on topic than the last 50 pages of the last thread. Agreed though, the discussion can still be far better.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:05 PM

It beats the old urban vs suburban, condo vs SFH, renting vs owning debates.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:06 PM
power to the people!

Anyway, I passed the Climbing Centre and Rocky Ridge Rec Centre yesterday. The northwest is sure getting some rec love! There was a concrete boom pump at the climbing centre, and I thought the floor would already be poured as the building is substantially framed. Maybe the climbing wall is concrete? Or do they pour the floor later to lessen exposure to the elements?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:49 PM

In the past the city would release monthly figures on how many permits were issued and the value of those permits broken down by office, retail and residential. I have not heard those figures being mentioned in the media for a long time. Have the values gone down that much? I drive down 10 Ave. S.W. often and the number of cranes I see is impressive. Things can't be that bad as I construction all over the place. Is the media too focused on office space at the expense of the overall picture which might not be that bad?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:54 PM

Our construction division, installing commercial a/c business is very strong. Our service division is struggling. We've been losing contracts a fair bit and we are not the only company doing so. Lots of places are deferring maintenance of equipment right now it seems.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
In the past the city would release monthly figures on how many permits were issued and the value of those permits broken down by office, retail and residential. I have not heard those figures being mentioned in the media for a long time. Have the values gone down that much? I drive down 10 Ave. S.W. often and the number of cranes I see is impressive. Things can't be that bad as I construction all over the place. Is the media too focused on office space at the expense of the overall picture which might not be that bad?
Don't be fooled by all the cranes, they don't represent the unemployment rate in the city. Besides it's not that many cranes your seeing. 5 years ago there were three times a s many.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_yyc_ca View Post
Don't be fooled by all the cranes, they don't represent the unemployment rate in the city. Besides it's not that many cranes your seeing. 5 years ago there were three times a s many.
I wasn't talking about the unemployment rate. As for the crane count, I'd like to see a comparison if one exists. There's more working now than most people think.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I wasn't talking about the unemployment rate. As for the crane count, I'd like to see a comparison if one exists. There's more working now than most people think.
I just had a look at the cranes forum. Looks like we're at around 30 now assuming the counts are right but note that there hasn't been a legit update for awhile. Feb 2014 had 43 cranes which isn't all that much higher. The first page claims the record is 75 set back in Aug 2008.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates