HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 12:36 PM

Went to Kroger Glenwood and 100% of people in the store had mask on the entire time I was shopping. It was a first.

To construction: It appears that the cranes at Selig’s WP site will have to be raised in the next week.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 4:01 PM

A 2nd crane is rising at the Grady Ambulatory Center downtown.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 11:15 PM

Does anyone have any pictures or rendering off the residential tower going on the old Houston steakhouse restaurant lot across from Lenox mall up in Buckhead ? I can’t find it and all so a picture of the proposed two office towers going on the East side trail of the belt line? Supposed to be two planed office towers over there. oh yeah I forgot to mention the Amli is moving forward to redevelop the former Cox HQ up in Perimeter into 600 plus apartments according to Atlanta business now. No pitchers on that as yet.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 12:43 AM

They haven’t shown anything for the Houston’s site. Ardent just purchased this week.

There are tons of photos for New City/Beltline in the Atlanta sub forum under 760 Ralph McGill.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
They haven’t shown anything for the Houston’s site. Ardent just purchased this week.

There are tons of photos for New City/Beltline in the Atlanta sub forum under 760 Ralph McGill.
Okey dokey I will look at the Atlanta sub forum . Thanks

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 8:03 PM

Does Anyone one know what the project is on Paces ferry place in the Buckhead village? The huge dirt lot full if construction activities just north of West Paces Ferry not hardly a block? Looks to be a big project. I didn’t see any pictures of the project posted up on any construction fencing displaying what is going to be there.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
see how Miami, Austin, Houston, Chicago, NYC, and LA are all getting supertalls and Atlanta is settling on 20 to 35 story proposals. What is the reason behind it? This a growing metro area and with downtown, midtown, and buckhead,
Quote:
We want to see highrises like Chi-town and you want to settle for Winston Salem and Richmond VA mentality.
Quote:

You can't compare most cities to Chicago, NYC or LA and I would add Miami due to its density.

I don't know what's going on in the other cities other than I guess some circumstances happened if they are getting such a tall tower.

Who cares though? The amount of towers that have consistently gone up around Atlanta is amazing.

Enjoy the forum and discussions of the various aspects of cities and development that make cities great, or what we aspire for cities to better as they grow. It's not just a pissing contest.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 9:14 PM

I care. In last 10 years post recession Atlanta gained only one tower 500 feet tall all we getting here is mostly 20 floors tall, not to say ugly buildings.
I would love to see something above 700-800 feet tall

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 12:31 AM

I would take the numerous midrises that we've gotten over the past decade over one or two new supertalls any day. Atlanta's midtown/downtown skyline is finally starting to look whole.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooldude View Post
Does Anyone one know what the project is on Paces ferry place in the Buckhead village? The huge dirt lot full if construction activities just north of West Paces Ferry not hardly a block? Looks to be a big project. I didn’t see any pictures of the project posted up on any construction fencing displaying what is going to be there.
It’s a residential project of about 12-stories, I think. Originally was to have a DREAM Hotel component but it’s not in the mix anymore. 500-units of residential now. 99 West Paces Ferry is the address. Go here and look on the Buckhead Under Construction section: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=209829

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 1:32 PM

Atlanta was out of the gate early in the 80s and 90s with several very tall towers for a city of its size. So much so that people on this forum complained about the skyline being disjointed and just a bunch of skyscrapers in a forest. I’m happy to see the skyline fill out and the city densify. It still remains one of the prettiest in the country.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Atlanta was out of the gate early in the 80s and 90s with several very tall towers for a city of its size. So much so that people on this forum complained about the skyline being disjointed and just a bunch of skyscrapers in a forest. I’m happy to see the skyline fill out and the city densify. It still remains one of the prettiest in the country.
Such an underrated comment. All FACTS.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 9:25 PM

What if, hear me out, in addition to the smaller towers, tall ones were also constructed? Sounds crazy.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 10:38 PM

Talking

That is CRAZY

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 11:23 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
What if, hear me out, in addition to the smaller towers, tall ones were also constructed? Sounds crazy.
yes we go down this road so frequently. As I've said before, we all love the infill and the denser, more interesting skyline,

BUT....and it's a berry berry berry berry big Butt;

Something really tall would be nice. It's been decades after all. We can hope.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
yes we go down this road so frequently. As I've said before, we all love the infill and the denser, more interesting skyline,

BUT....and it's a berry berry berry berry big Butt;

Something really tall would be nice. It's been decades after all. We can hope.
The leader of the potential-talls has to be Portman's North Ave project.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
The leader of the potential-talls has to be Portman's North Ave project.
Super tall structures can be conceived as being built by young, immature economies as a way to prove to the world that the city or place is relevant. It is why most super tall structures are built in Asia and the middle east these days, and Europe has very few. The US built many starting in the early 1900's, but it has since cooled. Atlanta built many tall towers right after MARTA was built and the Olympics were announced, but as a mature city, not many trophy towers are planned. The economics of such a tower are hard to overcome. Watch this video for more details on this. I suspect US cities will by and large see fewer very tall structures, except where land cost is at a premium, such as SF, Boston, or NYC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yi4mqGkmqk

Last edited by montydawg; Jul 20, 2020 at 4:17 PM. Reason: fix link

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Super tall structures can be conceived as being built by young, immature economies as a way to prove to the world that the city or place is relevant. It is why most super tall structures are built in Asia and the middle east these days, and Europe has very few. The US built many starting in the early 1900's, but it has since cooled. Atlanta built many tall towers right after MARTA was built and the Olympics were announced, but as a mature city, not many trophy towers are planned. The economics of such a tower are hard to overcome. Watch this video for more details on this. I suspect US cities will by and large see fewer very tall structures, except where land cost is at a premium, such as SF, Boston, or NYC.

Makes sense to me. I guess that's why Bank of America was built on its own "island" without any thought given to creating an urban experience around it. Looked good in pictures, though, when advertising for the Olympics.

I'm all about creating connectivity, especially in Midtown, with shorter buildings. My only request is to continue to mix up the architectural styles a bit more, which actually has been done a bit more lately than in recent past - I like the proposals with the angular elements at the top. Love the additional interesting elements of 1105 West Peachtree as well.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 4:41 PM
Kev K

Land prices in Midtown have doubled to comfortably more than $10m/acre since ~2008 iirc. If the neighborhood continues to build out, wouldn't the remaining build-able supply in prime locations appreciate even faster? If so, grabbing available FAR from historic properties and building a 40-60 floor tower doesn't seem too far fetched.

Is there a public listing of registered historic properties in Midtown? I've tried to follow air-rights transfers over the years, but presumably most fall through the cracks.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post

Even so, there are a couple of proposals that qualify for tall in Atlanta. The Portman project seems like the most likely one to happen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations