HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What's your take?
Love it 97 76.98%
Like it 26 20.63%
Leave it 3 2.38%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 9:42 PM
BANNED

707 Fifth

Think this beaut deserves a thread. One of the best looking infill towers on the continent. Only wish is a doubling of height!

Manulife Proposal
by Render Central, on Flickr

[IMG]
Manulife Proposal
by Render Central, on Flickr[/IMG]

Manulife Proposal

Manulife Proposal

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 9:47 PM
BANNED

When's that ugly Mawer building coming down?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 9:51 PM
BANNED

Hope the sides are angled inwards as above, not flat like below:

Manulife

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 9:53 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
It's already coming down. The entire interior has been stripped. The exterior may already be being disassembled. A bunch of windows are gone for sure. The parkade and Quincy's are totally leveled, and even partially excavated I think.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 9:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
It's already coming down. The entire interior has been stripped. The exterior may already be being disassembled. A bunch of windows are gone for sure. The parkade and Quincy's are totally leveled, and even partially excavated I think.
I meant the actually tower. Hopefully soon! To have this, Telus Sky, and Brookfield Place go up together on 7th...wow!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 3:09 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
They have been working on the roof, pulling the mechanical out piece by piece, they are separating everything for recycling. So don't expect it to come down fast.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 3:31 PM
BANNED

Ah I wanted to see them blow this up! Being in such tight corners makes sense that they're taking their time. Might be more demo work happening on the weekends.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 3:43 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Ah I wanted to see them blow this up! Being in such tight corners makes sense that they're taking their time. Might be more demo work happening on the weekends.
That was my hope too. But even if they do, isn't there a lot of prep work first anyway? I imagin that anything recyclable would have to come out. And anything dangerous (windows and such) would need to be removed. Hopefully when all that is done, an implosion is how they finish it off.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 4:11 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
That was my hope too. But even if they do, isn't there a lot of prep work first anyway? I imagin that anything recyclable would have to come out. And anything dangerous (windows and such) would need to be removed. Hopefully when all that is done, an implosion is how they finish it off.
Sorry to disappoint but there won't be an implosion, it's too close to the LRT for that. It'll come down piece by piece.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 7:21 PM
Editor

I think it's a fantastic building. I'd love to see it about 10 or 20 floors higher so as to see it better, but outside of that, this is a very nice office tower.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 8:20 PM
ARTchitecture

We're so spoiled here. This tower would be a tall masterpiece in Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg, etc. But here we wish it was 20 floors taller It will get lost in the skyline view, but thankfully it's being built in an extremely prominent intersection, with a big, untouchable park

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 9:13 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
We're so spoiled here. This tower would be a tall masterpiece in Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg, etc. But here we wish it was 20 floors taller It will get lost in the skyline view, but thankfully it's being built in an extremely prominent intersection, with a big, untouchable park
I think the city should demand perhaps better than average architecture when a new structure goes up in full view of a park or plaza

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 10:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I think the city should demand perhaps better than average architecture when a new structure goes up in full view of a park or plaza
Agree, including very high standards for public realm

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It would be the second coming of Christ in those cities. Here I'm sure most peopl haven't even heard about it, but the the open views from the big court park will def help.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 11:23 PM
恭喜发财!

I really like this one. Like others, I think it'd be better if it were a little taller, just so it'd stand out more. What's the exact height on this one - looks about 130m, based on the comparison to the Court Centre in the rendering. Is that about right?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 6:21 AM

20 more floors.... Common SOM!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 7:57 AM
SSP member:12,803

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I really like this one. Like others, I think it'd be better if it were a little taller, just so it'd stand out more. What's the exact height on this one - looks about 130m, based on the comparison to the Court Centre in the rendering. Is that about right?
It's supposed to be 124m. I too wish it were taller!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206706

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 6:26 PM

wow I had no idea about this tower

I think it looks beautiful. Fantastic.

Edit - honestly I can't believe I never saw anything about this in Calgary before...only to discover there was an entire other thread about it haha. Oh my.

Well, really cool. This would be one of the tallest buildings in edmonton or Winnipeg or Ottawa for sure, as chad mentioned. It's amazing how 124m is considered "medium" here

I think if developed magically today elsewhere, this would be the tallest in Ottawa, 2nd-3rd tallest in Winnipeg, basically similar height to Richardson tower (which was at one point, if I'm not mistaken, the tallest building in western canada for a short while)

Not sure for edmonton (9th? in Edmonton)

Last edited by roccerfeller; Jun 7, 2014 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
It would be the second coming of Christ in those cities. Here I'm sure most peopl haven't even heard about it, but the the open views from the big court park will def help.
For that matter, it's quite tall by even Vancouver and Montreal standards.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Looks like they've only demo'd two floors so far. Taking forever, blow it up lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates