HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You've got it wrong. 111 W57th is the Steinway Building. This is being built as an extension. Some of the units will be in the existing building, which also accounts for a bulk of the space in the project. Think of the Hearst Tower a little further down 57th. Look at the graphic above, the entire thing is one building. Only that wall was supposed to be removed as part of the development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Yes, I believe you are correct.
So you two are saying that the iron structure is staying, and that the supertall will cantilever over it? Is this true?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
So you two are saying that the iron structure is staying, and that the supertall will cantilever over it? Is this true?
Like I mentioned earlier, the tower and existing tower need to remain structurally independent. So if the existing steel structure stays, the shear wall on the left of the plan below would need to be transferred to bring that load down to the ground. This would be very difficult. My guess is the steel needs to be removed. If the steel is not removed, it will have to be substantially re-engineered to support the loads of a 1,400 foot tower rising above.

The Hearst Tower was a different beast since the original building was designed to have a tower built on top of it (the tower was nixed during the depression). Therefore, the existing building's structure was sized to accommodate the loads of a new tower. Plus, the Hearst Tower was a steel frame structure on top of a steel structure, whereas 111 West 57th Street is a concrete building built directly adjacent / adjoining to an existing steel frame structure - this is why I believe the existing and new construction must be structurally independent from one another.

Just some thoughts from an architect...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 9:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Here's what's being done as far as the landmark goes (keeping in mind only a portion is landmarked).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 1:01 AM
Mr. Technology

111 W. 57th Street

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:08 AM
New Yorker for life

DECEMBER 12, 2015

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 6:04 AM

The slow development of this is really messing with my anxiety issues

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 6:33 AM

For whatever reason, the facade reminds me an awful lot of the Twin Towers.

Which I really like.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
For whatever reason, the facade reminds me an awful lot of the Twin Towers.

Which I really like.
I see what you mean from the sides. I like it too, makes it look so much taller when it has those thin vertical stripes like that.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:43 PM

Hi guys!!

There is the construction update during the third quarter of 2015. As you can see, there wasn´t too much progress on the plot. Maybe on the next months there will be more advances on the plot.

Video Link

Thank You!!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:52 PM

Given the slow rate the progress has been at this site, all the other towers will already be topped out by the time this finally starts rising. 217 W57 and 220 CPS are well above street level now. 53W53 is about to go vertical real soon and 520 Park is now above the street too. I know we're very impatient here when it comes to the construction process but goddamn, this tower is taking FOREVER!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 1:27 AM

^ Got a word from the person who works at the site that they just hired one additional worker. The tower should really progress now.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
^ Got a word from the person who works at the site that they just hired one additional worker. The tower should really progress now.
So now we have what? 3 workers on site? lol

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 2:28 AM

There needs to be a ban on posting renders until this thing gets going vertical. Its such a cock-tease excercise at this point.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 6:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenden View Post
The slow development of this is really messing with my anxiety issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Given the slow rate the progress has been at this site, all the other towers will already be topped out by the time this finally starts rising. 217 W57 and 220 CPS are well above street level now. 53W53 is about to go vertical real soon and 520 Park is now above the street too. I know we're very impatient here when it comes to the construction process but goddamn, this tower is taking FOREVER!

We've know since this tower was unveiled that it would be a slow process due to the landmark and complicated nature of this development. It's one of the reasons JDS got permission to start work on site as soon as possible. It that hasn't sunk in yet, then it's best to avoid this thread for a good while, as it will be some time before you see a "new" tower rising into the sky.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 5:59 PM
BANNED

^Thanks for sharing

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:44 AM
New Yorker for life

^ It's why I'm here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/ny...bors.html?_r=0

As a New High Society Climbs in Manhattan, It’s a Race to the Top

By MATT A.V. CHABAN
DEC. 21, 2015

Quote:
....For 111 West 57th Street, just off the Avenue of the Americas and planned at 1,428 feet, the advertising is close-cropped, heightening the drama and detail of the saw-toothed terra-cotta tower and its relationship to the park. One57 is pictured, but 432 Park is missing here, too, as is a proposed redevelopment of the Park Lane Hotel, set to rise at least 1,000 feet on Fifth Avenue near Central Park South.

“We’re not forecasters, so any building that’s not built yet wouldn’t be a factor for us,” explained Michael Stern, founder and managing partner of JDS Development, which is building 111 West 57th Street. “I actually really like 432,” he added. “It makes my building look less intimidating.”

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 11:13 PM
DENNAB

Not that it really matters. But recently I keep seeing 1,428 and 1,421 thrown around as if they shortened the building a little again. Maybe the articles are just wrong, but it would be nice if it were at least a little noticeably taller to the tip than 432.

Regardless the facade and just this building in general are amazing.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 4:00 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Here are some details about what 111 West 57th Street will look like inside

Quote:
Studio Sofield is doing all the interior design work for the building, and told AD about all the high-end products being used to craft the interiors. The giant urns in the lobby are made from rock crystal; P.E. Guerin, the classic foundry, is doing all of the hardware in the building; the bathtubs are being carved from solid alabaster; the floors are “end-grain marquetry”; and, somewhat mysteriously, the building will feature “lots of fluted glass.”

As fab as all that sounds, it doesn’t even come close to another project Sofield is working on for a pied-à-terre on Fifth Avenue, where you can press a button to make all the walls disappear. It also has woven leather and silver lamé curtains, which Sofield says “only make sense in some scenario with Bette Midler riding around the apartment in a wheelchair, wearing a mermaid outfit.”
===========================
http://www.llnyc.com/38680-here-are-...ok-like-inside

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 5:27 AM

I counted 7 workers... they are on hiring spree !

Foundation work is completed for some of the first support columns.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 1:33 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
I counted 7 workers... they are on hiring spree !
I wonder if I should apply for a job there!
Of course, I'd be too busy building to snap pics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive