HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 6:06 PM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
This is building is like one of those 6ft tall runway models who weighs 110 pounds. Sure, some people like that, but others find it incredibly unhealthy looking. If it tapered up to the pinnacle that would be one thing, but the way it is now will make it an eyesore. Even being clad in pure cold wouldn't change that.
LOL, and I believe you're serious about that. But as long as you use the runway models, there's a reason they're the runway models. It's an "ideal" that people look up to, but very few actually accomplish (whether you agree with that or not).

So many buildings will fail in comparison to this once in a lifetime-quality beauty. And to think the equally beautiful 53W53 (Tower Verre) will be a virtual neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It would actually be impossible to have a fatter building, simply because landmarked buildings can't be demolished. The developer is using every last bit of air rights.
Not to mention the shadows a "fatter" building would throw over the park, enough to send the NIMBYs into epic fits of protests.

We're getting a lifetime's worth of amazing buildings in the city in a short amount of time. We are all being ruined.

And to think we are already spoiled with this amazing skyline...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
LOL, and I believe you're serious about that. But as long as you use the runway models, there's a reason they're the runway models. It's an "ideal" that people look up to, but very few actually accomplish (whether you agree with that or not).
Well, that's your opinion, but in my opinion I like a building with a little more meat on her bones. 30 Hudson Yards is my dream building.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:59 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
Well, that's your opinion, but in my opinion I like a building with a little more meat on her bones. 30 Hudson Yards is my dream building.
Oh, I like big and boxy buildings also. But Manhattan is covered in bulky, boxy buildings. The towers like this one are the special skyscrapers that stand out. And just so you know, 30 Hudson is an office tower, the reason for the larger floorplates (the meat on its bones). As a residential, it would be less attractive.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Oh, I like big and boxy buildings also. But Manhattan is covered in bulky, boxy buildings. The towers like this one are the special skyscrapers that stand out. And just so you know, 30 Hudson is an office tower, the reason for the larger floorplates (the meat on its bones). As a residential, it would be less attractive.
I understand that.
I love the shape of this building so far. No problems there.

Last edited by WIGGLEWORTH; Oct 27, 2015 at 3:02 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:05 AM

This building and Tower Verre (my favorite) are two of the best building in construction right now, certainly in the top 5 on this planet. Seems weird to me to have people bitching about them

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:11 AM
Show me the blueprints

The tower could have been wider had the developer been able to acquire the two little shits at 115 & 117 W 57 and straddled Steinway, but alas that could not and did not happen.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 12:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkling View Post

If the crown of One57 gets lit as has been shown in renderings, and possibly a nice lighting at the top of Nordstrom, it could be a pretty nice effect on that view of the skyline.

October 24, 2015

Meanwhile, One57 stands supreme as 3 major towers go up around it...

A.G. Photographe

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 28, 2015 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 12:33 AM

^ What's happening on top of One57? And why do you think the crown hasn't been lit yet? It's been completed for a while now...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:11 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
^ What's happening on top of One57? And why do you think the crown hasn't been lit yet? It's been completed for a while now...
That's the window washers.
Pretty neat how it's completely stored under the roof, which explains why the very top is built like that. It's a series of mechanical floors I suppose.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 3:14 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pics by me

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 5:20 AM

Slowly, but work continues.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 6:50 AM
New Yorker for life

A few more from the street...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 2:29 PM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 4:40 PM

Wow thank you Otie for this!!!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 7:34 PM

That whole iron structure behind Steinway still needs to come down right?? Since 111 W57th st will sit partially behind the landmarked building (Steinway).

Quote:
A few more from the street...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 4:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
That whole iron structure behind Steinway still needs to come down right?? Since 111 W57th st will sit partially behind the landmarked building (Steinway).
You've got it wrong. 111 W57th is the Steinway Building. This is being built as an extension. Some of the units will be in the existing building, which also accounts for a bulk of the space in the project. Think of the Hearst Tower a little further down 57th. Look at the graphic above, the entire thing is one building. Only that wall was supposed to be removed as part of the development.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
I think there are two possibilities how the tower can be embedded into the existing Steinway Building as shown in Otie's (awesome!) rendering. Option 1; the exposed steel in that photograph will need to be removed and remainder of the existing building will need to be shored up. Option 2; the new tower will can cantilever over that portion of exposed steel. The second option seems tricky, so I think you're right that the exposed steel will need to be removed. In the plans, it looks like a massive shear wall will be coming down to the ground in that location.

NYGuy is right that architecturally speaking the existing building and new tower will function as one. However, from an engineering perspective, the new tower will need to be structurally independent to account for differential movement between the new building and the existing building.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 3:41 PM

Thanks for the responses. I agree, it seems highly unlikely that they would be able to cantilever an already ultra-thin supertall over the existing structure.

So if that iron structure most likely has to come down, I wonder what would be taking so long. And isn't it usually protocol to demo everything before starting foundation work?

It's all so confusing.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 3:45 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
You've got it wrong. 111 W57th is the Steinway Building. This is being built as an extension. Some of the units will be in the existing building, which also accounts for a bulk of the space in the project. Think of the Hearst Tower a little further down 57th. Look at the graphic above, the entire thing is one building. Only that wall was supposed to be removed as part of the development.
Yes, I believe you are correct.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive