HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 5:29 PM
Here and There

Does anyone know the finish date for the new weir? I cant wait to break it in.......

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 5:42 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Or just accept that we would need to redo the beach every 100 years, which I think is acceptable.
You'd still have to build pretty high up from the low water level. I don't know the exact figures but from watching the river throughout the year, it looks like it rises at least several feet every spring vs the low summer level. So we'd have to have a beach that just stops, with what - grass or something going down to the water. Kinda silly.

I think a boardwalk as pictured above is the only way to go. With maybe steps leading down to the actual water, steps that would be under water for much of the spring.

The other thing to contend with is bad ice years. In a cold winter, and especially in springs when the ice breaks up in a nasty fashion, huge pieces of ice get thrown up onto the banks. Much higher than the actual high water level. Imagine what would happen to the beach unless it was very carefully engineered.

Otherwise we'd be redoing it every year.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 5:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Does anyone know the finish date for the new weir? I cant wait to break it in.......
2011. Not sure when but hopefully July at the latest.

I haven't had a chance to go rafting this year so I'm really hoping the next time I go, I can ride the weir.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:03 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
2011. Not sure when but hopefully July at the latest.

I haven't had a chance to go rafting this year so I'm really hoping the next time I go, I can ride the weir.
Thanks, I was hoping it wasn't near copmpletion yet anyway as the current is still fairly dangerous. This is one of the most exciting projects on a river in Canada for sure.

I haven't rated this year either yet!!! We are so spoiled with great rivers to raft in Alberta.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 6:18 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I think a boardwalk as pictured above is the only way to go. With maybe steps leading down to the actual water, steps that would be under water for much of the spring.
I'd definitely be on board with a similar one. I simply adore the temporary beach that Paris has in the summer and I'm a big fan of the concrete board/river-walks; the project pictured combines both of them to provide a decent amount of awesomeness.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Last edited by Riise; Jul 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 10:20 PM

Man made beach on a pool?

Perhaps we can do what they did in Brisbane, Australia. Their South Bank neighbourhood on their river has a pretty awesome urban beach, that is on a pool, well elevated above the Brisbane River.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...04125&t=h&z=18

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 10:28 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Perhaps we can do what they did in Brisbane, Australia. Their South Bank neighbourhood on their river has a pretty awesome urban beach, that is on a pool, well elevated above the Brisbane River.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...04125&t=h&z=18
I have to say i am rather excited for the future of calgary. It seems like many people are on the same wavelength and that is what we need for a great place to live.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 6:13 PM

Does anybody know if the CMLC will have any control over the design quality of the new developments happening in the East Village? I've been in the UK for the last few weeks and have been able to see some of the more modern designs being used over here that really make a statement to the casual observer. I'd love to see something similar appear anywhere in Calgary and the East Village is probably the best spot for that to happen. I'd just hate to see the area dominated by boring stucco/brick buildings that seem to make up the majority of low rise/mid rise development in Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2010, 7:07 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
Does anybody know if the CMLC will have any control over the design quality of the new developments happening in the East Village? I've been in the UK for the last few weeks and have been able to see some of the more modern designs being used over here that really make a statement to the casual observer. I'd love to see something similar appear anywhere in Calgary and the East Village is probably the best spot for that to happen. I'd just hate to see the area dominated by boring stucco/brick buildings that seem to make up the majority of low rise/mid rise development in Calgary.
Hopefully they do something interesting and not just big box stores and stampitecture.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2010, 12:15 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Hopefully they do something interesting and not just big box stores and stampitecture.
Are trying to tell me that you wouldn't want an entire community full of this?? http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,3.32,,0,-1.65

Old Posted Aug 4, 2010, 7:04 PM
The City That Moves

I had a couple of ideas for programming that could take place on St. Patrick's Island that would help to bring more eyes on the park, as well as encourage different uses during differing times of the day (particularly evening):

1. Al Fresco Movie Theatre
- Right now there are 553 members on facebook that would support a drive-in theatre for Calgary, I bet there are a ton of people in Calgary that would go to an outdoor movie theatre. A specialized user group would make this a truly regional park, and be a hit in the evenings when the park really needs more eyes in the park. It could occupy the same space as the ice rink so that the park is well utilized during the winter, as well as summer evenings, with a reduced footprint. I could envision myself going to a movie park like this once a week. I hope the park has programming that earns routine users.
2. Horsedrawn Carriage
- Again, something that is not available anywhere else in Calgary, and may be a good fit for the natural environment, as well as help keep more eyes in the park during the evenings

Calgary MLC has also posted the first survey results here:
They also posted the results of the first survey here:

A Master Plan for St. Patrick's Island: Survey 1, Little Island looking for Big Ideas, Findings and Analysis

Last edited by Radley77; Aug 4, 2010 at 7:56 PM. Reason: Added first survey results

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 3:44 PM

East Village resident longs for 'peace and quiet' as area changes

From her usually serene perch on a bench in an East Village park, Mary Mitchell's chat with a friend Saturday was nearly drowned out as the sounds of a street party competed with the noise of construction equipment.

Hundreds of people ambled up to the annual community celebration hosted by the city and service providers, and enjoyed free food and entertainment as they discussed the changing face of the area.

Mitchell was among the celebrants. The 63-year-old has rented her low-income seniors apartment on 8th Avenue S.E. for 3 1/2 years and has had no problems living in what was Calgary's grimiest neighbourhood. That is, until an ambitious redevelopment plan set out to remove that title.

The initial stages of the process -- replacing and flood-proofing roads, sidewalks and utilities, which should be complete enough to allow for actual development this year -- has taken a toll on some of the 2,200 existing residents, many of whom are seniors.

"I haven't had any peace and quiet for over a year now," said Mitchell, a former office clerk.

Her chief grievance, though, is the paving stones used on some streets and sidewalks, which she said provide a "treacherous" surface in the winter and one that is difficult year-round for people in wheelchairs and on scooters.

The neighbourhood's facelift so far "looks nice," she allowed, "but you've got to think about the practicality of it and who's using this stuff."

Ald. Druh Farrell, whose Ward 7 encompasses the East Village, said the redevelopment plan, initiated in 2007, is on track and "has ignited a lot of interest" from developers, whose projects will eventually blend residential, commercial and institutional spaces.

"There will be some news in the fall" on that front, she promised.

The area's abandoned buildings and vacant lots already stand in stark contrast to a handful of shiny new mixed-use buildings along streets lined with young trees and hanging flower baskets. The high-tech Enmax Downtown District Energy Centre clearly represents the future, while the boarded-up King Edward Hotel across the street reflects the past.

Farrell predicts 10,000 people will call the East Village home when it's completely built up in 20 to 30 years.

Karen Lintener shares an apartment with her 18-year-old son, bordering Fort Calgary on 8th Avenue S.E., and believes in the vision.

"It's going to be a nice community neighbourhood once things get built," the 50-year-old technical editor observed.

After losing her house in Ramsay, she settled on the East Village because of its downtown location, and in just the last year, she's seen a sharp decrease in "iffy" street behaviour such as drug dealing.

And if more social improvements are wrung from the temporary construction headaches, Lintener's happy to put up with those, too: "Won't last forever, hopefully."

jfries@theherald.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/East+Vi...#ixzz0w1sxICC7

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 5:33 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

She was 59 when she moved into a "low income seniors apartment"? 59 is "senior"? 62 is?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:14 AM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
She was 59 when she moved into a "low income seniors apartment"? 59 is "senior"? 62 is?
wrong area to type

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:15 AM
Here and There

So there are less vagrants around the east village now?.....thats because they all hang around the 17th ave area now!! Dont forget about 17th ave SW City of Calgary!! But seriously....I hope we can find a solution to the homeless problem in the city.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 3:15 PM

Having just bought a place in Orange Lofts down there and spent the last few days getting a feel for the area I must call BS on the noise complaint in that article. In fact I was shocked by just how quiet it was.

Being down there at ANY time of the day is substantially quieter than my current place at 10th & 10th SW. There is just no comparison - while there may be some construction noise and occasional outdoor activities, compared to just the ambient traffic noise from being near 11th or 12th (not to mention the sirens, motorcycles, dump trucks, train etc.) it is a huge improvement.

That being said, I was also shocked by just how much street activity there was down there. Definitely enough to keep the n'erdowells at bay - there are still plenty of homeless & similar around there but they tend to keep moving and I didn't see any visible signs of illicit activities. I have no problem with their presence as long as they keep to their own productive activities and avoid the clustering behavior that tends to make others feel less safe.

I really do believe the area will work out this time.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 5:23 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
You can get "senior's discounts" at some restaurants at 45 years old. No, I'm not kidding.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 9:00 PM
dvdktn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
I guess I always thought skateboarding was one of those things you could just do anywhere on the streets, or setup some ramps in the alley. But I guess with today's safety culture, even skateboarding needs to be supervised by mommy's in a dedicated area, ha.

Personally, I'd rather something else get some love. I'd love to see some more effort into rafting/kayaking (how cool with an inner-city kayak obstacle course be). Or maybe something weird like a velodrome!
Calgary already has a Velodrome near Glenmore Reservoir. An indoor one would be nice though.. like this one in Denmark

Old Posted Aug 9, 2010, 9:05 PM
dvdktn

Calgary could use more skateparks. Millenium isn't great considering the amount of money it costs. The park in Cochrane is significantly better at a fraction of the cost. If Calgary had half a dozen parks like the Cochrane park scattered throughout the city. It would be better than having one giant shitty park downtown(Millz)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2010, 6:12 PM
The City That Moves

East Village underpass breaks ground - Calgary Sun, Jenna McMurray

Quote:
Construction on an underpass that will link the East Village with Stampede Park is now underway.

The Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC) hosted a ground breaking Thursday, signalling the start of excavation between 9 Ave. and 11 Ave. for the future 4 St. S.E. underpass.

The four-lane road will connect Olympic Way at 11 Ave. S.E. with 4 St. at 9 Ave. S.E. and is considered to be a critical piece of transportation infrastructure.

“We are celebrating a milestone for Calgary,” said CMLC president and CEO Chris Ollenberger.

“I think it will really improve the connectivity of east downtown; right now you’re kind of boxed in.”

Preparatory work on the $70-million project — including lowering 9 Ave. by about two metres near the King Edward Hotel, rerouting utility lines, and relocating approximately 3,500 metres of CP Rail storage tracks to the Highfield Industrial area— has been ongoing for about two years already.

Ollenberger said the underpass was designed to be a safe walkway for pedestrians, allowing lots of natural light in during the day and being illuminated by LED lights at night.

There will also be public art inside to create a less intimidating atmosphere.

Besides being lined with sidewalks and dedicated bike lanes, the underpass will descend below the train tracks, creating what the city’s director of roads calls a network for commuters of all kinds.

“The only thing we’re not going to have is an airplane flying through,” said Ryan Jestin, adding the project is much more functional and better looking than pedestrian overpasses.

He said a connector like this has been on the city transportation department’s radar since the 1980s and it’s great to see it finally come to fruition.

“It’s phenomenal that we’ve finally got to this point,” said Jestin.

“We’ve known we needed it for a long time.”

The underpass is expected to open to traffic by the end of 2011, said Ollenberger.

The CMLC, which is funded through city borrowing, is contributing $42 million to the project while the city is giving $28 million.

Graham Construction was awarded the contract to build the underpass.
Full article: http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../15007481.html

I can't wait to see Olympic Avenue and 4th Street linked up!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates