HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 6:44 PM
dvdktn

Has anyone heard anything about the new library being built? Is it going to be built in EV?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKuitunen View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the new library being built? Is it going to be built in EV?
Im not so sure on the exact plans but I believe the new library will be linked with the 2nd phase? of BVC. Im also sure the new library will be in part of the EV as well.

Can anyone verify this?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Im not so sure on the exact plans but I believe the new library will be linked with the 2nd phase? of BVC. Im also sure the new library will be in part of the EV as well.

Can anyone verify this?
We've seen things indicating both, which is where the confusion is coming from I think. The plans for BVC include provisions for redeveloping the library on the same block at a future date (pretty much the parkade will be designed so the parkade for the library will share an entrance and I believe also an unloading bay). Then theres also the one page on Kasian's web site indicating they were involved in a new master plan for the library that would put it in the east village, likely where the urban campus was supposed to go.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 6:35 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Langevin to light the way along RiverWalk Promenade
Bridge LED lighting system to debut December 23

Although the city rarely sees the Northern Lights, Calgarians will now be treated to a nightly light show as the Langevin Bridge unveils its new lighting display on December 23rd at 6:00 PM. The 110 year old bridge has been outfitted with state-of-the-art light emitting diode (LED) lighting that will turn the structure into a piece of moving modern art.

The Light Up Langevin project is one of the first steps forward in the development of the RiverWalk project, a six year initiative to redevelop four kilometers along the Bow and Elbow Rivers to allow Calgarians to reconnect with the natural beauty of the rivers. The same LED technology used on the bridge will also be featured at various focal points throughout the RiverWalk promenade, providing not only an incredible spectacle in the East Village but effective lighting to keep the area safe.

The LED lighting system, supplied by Montreal-based Lumenpulse, is composed of 156 different light assemblies that highlight every beam and truss of Langevin bridge. Lighting units are controlled by a computer program that can establish a light sequence (a light show) for each individual light or for the entire assembly unit, allowing infinite display possibilities. Each assembly unit has the ability to display over 16 million different colours, providing the bridge with a shade for every season, occasion or celebration.

“We’re proud that our RiverWalk project will mark the Alberta debut for this technology. In addition to providing elevated lighting on the bridge, the ability to program colors and sequencing makes this installation an interesting and interactive asset for East Village,” said Chris Ollenberger, CEO and President of the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC), “One of our key objectives for the Riverwalk project is to foster public safety along the river banks and we believe we have achieved this and more with this LED technology.”

Despite a total of over 5600 LEDs being used, the bridge lighting is expected to consume just 22,000 kilowatt hours per year, roughly equivalent to the power consumption of just three Albertan households. The LED lighting has an expected lifespan of 100,000 hours which equates to approximately 35 years of operation if the lights run for eight hours every day.

A festive light show programmed by the CMLC will be displayed during the holiday season. In addition, a special six hour New Year’s Eve light show has been developed to help ring in the new year.

CMLC is working towards developing the East Village into a vibrant community that is well integrated into the downtown core. Some of the major projects of the East Village Master Plan include the creation of the Riverwalk and the restoration of four heritage buildings within the East Village. To learn more about the East Village redevelopment project, visit www.calgarymlc.ca.
Source: Light Up Langevin - Calgary MLC

External Link: Lumenpulse Website

Old Posted Mar 4, 2010, 4:10 AM
The City That Moves

Some cool videos of the Langevin Bridge lighting!:

Langevin Bridge Highdef 30 Second Animation

Video Link

Lumenpulse Langevin Bridge Video Rendering
Video Link

Langevin Bridge Quick View of 16 Presets - Computer Programming
Video Link

Videos courtesy of Youtube users: 0penh3art, Cricrileduc63, and lumenpulse's channel respectively

Last edited by Radley77; Mar 4, 2010 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 9:27 PM

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 7:11 PM

Anyone going to the presentation tonight? if that's what it is.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2010, 1:36 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I went, I'll try to post some tidbits/pics later this weekend.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 2:46 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

From the main forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophs View Post
I was at another East Village presentation this past week and it was mentioned by CMLC that they have had interest from a number of developers so far. I have two numbers in my head and not sure which one is right, but either they have had interest from 14 developers from Vancouver (and 42 in all) or interest from 14 developers in total. They mentioned that other interest was from mainly Canadian developers (from Edmonton, Calgary and Toronto), but that there has been some interest from American developers.

They said we may see a project proposed in the new East Village as early as this Fall, but it's also possible that it could take a bit longer and not see any proposed projects till next Spring. They also said that they have had significant interest in Riverfront Lane, which is the small road which aligns with the Ctrain tracks.
Chris Ollenberger also mentioned how the city didn't exactly leave the heritage buildings in proper condition before shuttering them, example one of them they shut off the gas but not the water, so pipes in the 3rd floor burst and was raining on the lower floors for MONTHS, if not more, completely flooding the bar in the basement right up to the ceiling I believe destroying it. Either the same one or one of the other ones was so damaged either from that water or the elements that one of the walls was buckling and had to be emergency reinforced. Pretty dumb situations really. That all said, as strophs mentioned there is a lot of developer interest. (I believe it was 14 total)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 4:06 AM
The City That Moves

I have been reading up on the St. Patrick's Island Master Plan. Right now the CMLC site is pretty sparce about details, but it sounds like it will be another consulation process that is open to the public.

I didn't realize that the island was so low. According to the city bylaws is too low for any buildings to be constructed due to being below the 20 and 100 year floodplain levels (discussed in Matrix hydrology report). This pretty much precludes a Shakespeare in the Park amphitheatre or any other venues like the Prince's Island River Cafe from developing. After reviewing Prince's Island it is also below the flood plain as well, so I'm guessing all the current structures are grandfathered in but nothing else can be built.

Does anyone know if the "erosion control" that Mr. Ollenberger mentioned refer to floodproofing potential structures or is the island doomed to be a disc golf course\ low intensity recreational activities for eternity?

Calgary Municipal Land Company - St. Patrick's Island

Documents:

Cultural And Historical Context of St. Patrick's Island

St. Patrick's Island Geological History

St. Patrick's Island Hydrology Report

Old Posted Apr 23, 2010, 4:19 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

You can build stuff in the floodplain, just not most structures. I can't recall what you can build exactly, but an outdoor stage may be OK- no health issues etc.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 1:33 AM
The City That Moves

The St. Patrick's Island public consultation process has begun.

Calgary MLC - St. Patrick's Island

The website has been updated with:
  • Virtual Tour
  • Documentation including cultural and historical context, geological history, hydrology report, and ecology
  • Milestone Checklist
  • Advisory Committee Bios
  • Public Survey

&

The Milestone Checklist timeline is as follows:
  • Webpage Survey #1 (hopes/aspirations) - May 2010
  • Advisory Committee Meeting #1 - June 2010
  • Webpage Survey #2 (visual preferences) - June 2010
  • Growing the Vision Engagement Events - June/July 2010
  • Advisory Committee Meeting #2 - September 2010
  • Advisory Committee Meeting #3 - October 2010
  • Advisory Committee Meeting #4 - November 2010
  • Webpage Survey #3(conceptual designs) - December 2010
  • Draft Plan Public Open House and Display - January 2011
  • Advisory Committee Meeting #5 - February 2011
  • Final Master Plan Approval - February 2011

&

The following are members of the Advisory Committee:
  • Kyle Ripley - Manager Park Planning & Development Services
  • Constable Dom Laporte - Community Liason Officer with CPS
  • Jack Marshall, Lawyer - Board of Directors at Fort Calgary Preservation Society
  • Gareth Lukes, Businessman - Lukes Drug Store in Bridgeland
  • Ray Spiteri, Businessman - Redevelopment director of Inglewood Community Association
  • Ned Shillington, Businessman - Chair of East Village Action Committee
  • Beth Gignac - Manager of Arts and Culrture for the City of Calgary
  • Dr. Clement Lanthier - President and CEO of Calgary Zoo
  • Maggie Schofield, Director - Executive Director of Calgary Downtown Assoication
  • Druh Farrell, Alderman - Alderman for Ward 7
  • Chris Ollenber, Engineer - CEO of CMLC

I am definitely keen on the public consultation process, if you are interested in the project make sure you submit a response for the hopes & aspirations phase of the public survey here. This survey phase closes on June 4th (two weeks away) and I think there is a prize draw for entering.

I am curious what people here think would be the best fit for the island, and are there any concepts out there that could be used and improved upon here? The first concept I thought that would be great would be an outdoor ice rink, which I think would be a low risk idea in terms of public demand. What other things would there be a demand for and may differentiate itself from other parks so as to become a regional purpose park?

Last edited by Radley77; May 19, 2010 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 3:31 AM

I guess you guys are big on the specific threads than the giant Construction Page so I'll ask again here...when is the Riverwalk supposed to be completed?

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 3:34 AM
Round Head

Frinkprof answered your question in the construction thread.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 3:38 AM

^Thanks. I skimmed his/her post earlier thinking frink was talking about a different project .

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 3:54 AM

I love the idea of an outdoor rink on St. Patrick's Island.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 6:16 AM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I love the idea of an outdoor rink on St. Patrick's Island.
A huge, serious one... Not some awkward dinky one that would belong in a small town.... Would be cool to have skating trails as well. That island is large!

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 2:10 PM
Round Head

One feature I'd like to see is a really huge playground. Something elaborate that would actually be a city-wide draw for families with young kids.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 5:24 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
One feature I'd like to see is a really huge playground. Something elaborate that would actually be a city-wide draw for families with young kids.
I like that idea, rafting on the Bow river is a perennial favourite. Having is as THE destination point\stopping point with a playground could be a huge draw during the summer. Marc Boutin's original bridge design had some elements of placemaking. Perhaps at the confluence of the Bow and Elbow to be visible to both rafting streams?

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 6:22 PM
Round Head

The urban beach idea that was in the East Village Master Plan is also an idea strongly worth considering for the island.

More than anything, if you are familiar with the Island or have looked at the extensive virtual tour on the CMLC website, the island needs the underbrush cleared a bit - it's quite a scruffy looking place. Like Prince's Island, I think St. Patrick's should have a section that is manicured, is heavily programmed, has more recreational opportunities like the playground, water features, and another section of the island that is more natural.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates