HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 3:02 PM

Chris Campbell is a professional crank. McDonald's is crap and brings down the reputation. Both of these can be true.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 10:06 PM

there was always a McDonalds in Brentwood mall, it was always packed, when I worked across the street in the 2000's it was a very busy place at lunch. Lots of seniors would go hang out for coffee. Its handy, even the most upscale malls have at McDonalds.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 3:24 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Haha, what a crappy rant about a "Mega-McDonald's". I guess the writer doesn't know about the two-level McDonald's on Still Creek Drive?

https://www.burnabynow.com/living/op...ne-now-4323569
Please explain which part of the article was a "rant"?

Quote:
Did we really need a McDonald’s this big in Burnaby? I don’t know, but the place is impressive with giant floor-to-ceiling windows and lots of natural light. It’ll sure come in handy for SkyTrain commuters looking for a quick meal.

I stopped by to check it out and have some lunch. It looked challenging for people to carry their trays up the stairs. But there’s also an outdoor patio on ground floor that looked popular for customers.
As far as I can tell, he seems fairly complementary of the execution, even if he was doubtful about the demand.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2021, 12:19 AM

He writes total crap though, all his articles are just a stupid waste of time. This article he just tacked on a little bit of extra copy to an old recycled story.

If he was any good he could have done some investigating and interviewing and mention in the article what the delay was, I think we got more info out of this thread on the issue.

I've pass it a few times in the past week on my commute home and the place from what I can see is always busy, all the tabbles on the upper level are full as well as people sitting outside.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Chris Campbell is a professional crank. McDonald's is crap and brings down the reputation. Both of these can be true.
This, all his articles are just rambling repetition.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 7:15 AM

^^ If you want to hear some rants about bad car driving then he's your man.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 4:18 AM

Earls is now confirmed to open at Brentwood. Late Summer 2022 expected opening

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/earl...ntwood-burnaby

Quote:
“Earls is thrilled to announce that its newest location is set to open at The Amazing Brentwood in late Summer 2022,” read the statement.

“Over two years in the making, Earls at The Amazing Brentwood will be located on bustling Brentwood Plaza and will boast both indoor and outdoor dining. More details will be released soon.”

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 4:51 AM

Yay…Earls.
Does BC have some sort of strict law forbidding other chain restaurants from opening? The only chain restaurants we have in BC are BC based ie. Earls, Cactus, Joey, Browns, White Spot. I’m really not advocating for chain restaurants but, have you ever looked at the menu at these restaurants? Save for White Spot, they’re the exact. Same. Menu.
While I’m not saying more chain restaurants are the answer, I’m genuinely asking. It seems other provinces allow competition from the US and elsewhere.

There are zero Red Lobsters in BC which sucks because my friend in Ontario sent me a $100 GC that I can’t even use.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
Yay…Earls.
Does BC have some sort of strict law forbidding other chain restaurants from opening? The only chain restaurants we have in BC are BC based ie. Earls, Cactus, Joey, Browns, White Spot. I’m really not advocating for chain restaurants but, have you ever looked at the menu at these restaurants? Save for White Spot, they’re the exact. Same. Menu.
While I’m not saying more chain restaurants are the answer, I’m genuinely asking. It seems other provinces allow competition from the US and elsewhere.

There are zero Red Lobsters in BC which sucks because my friend in Ontario sent me a $100 GC that I can’t even use.
Well it's their home base so you would assume they have a good lock on the market. What US chains are you thinking about?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:28 AM

Cheesecake Factory

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoInvestor View Post
Cheesecake Factory
I guess if their location in Toronto does well they might consider it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 3:12 PM
victory in near

I guess Earls will be closing their restaurant near Gilmore.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 3:33 PM

All of those generic chains attract the 20s-30s instagram crowd. They have a formula that obviously works, even when they are next door to each other. It's no surprise they want in to an area like Brentwood.

It sucks for the people who live there and aren't into it. But hardly surprising.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 3:39 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
Yay…Earls.

You're sad that BC doesn't have a Red Lobster? That's a different take.

I think you are conveniently forgetting a number of chains: Milestones, Boston Pizza, Chili's, Olive Garden, iHOP...

BC also has a few fast food chains that don't have a strong presence in the rest of Canada such as Chipotle and Krispy Kreme.

Personally, some chains aren't as exciting when you consider the local options. Red Lobster might satisfy your seafood craving if you live in the prairies, but there are so many great local options that will do it better, cheaper, and fresher in BC.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 3:46 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
All of those generic chains attract the 20s-30s instagram crowd. They have a formula that obviously works, even when they are next door to each other. It's no surprise they want in to an area like Brentwood.

It sucks for the people who live there and aren't into it. But hardly surprising.
No one from Gen Z goes to Cactus Club for the gram

Most of the chains mentioned have been around since before my generation was born, so don't go blaming us for them.

These chains attract people the same way McDonald's does: familiarity. I would always rather try a new restaurant and a new dish, but sometimes my wife really wants her Santa Fe Chicken Salad from Earls made the exact same as the last time she ordered it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
No one from Gen Z goes to Cactus Club for the gram

Most of the chains mentioned have been around since before my generation was born, so don't go blaming us for them.

These chains attract people the same way McDonald's does: familiarity. I would always rather try a new restaurant and a new dish, but sometimes my wife really wants her Santa Fe Chicken Salad from Earls made the exact same as the last time she ordered it.
You argued against my point then made it for me.

I'm not blaming your generation, I'm saying that's the crowd it's for, eternally. You will grow out of it like I did.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:

I think their demographic is as much 40-50s then it is 20-30s.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
You're sad that BC doesn't have a Red Lobster? That's a different take.

I think you are conveniently forgetting a number of chains: Milestones, Boston Pizza, Chili's, Olive Garden, iHOP...

BC also has a few fast food chains that don't have a strong presence in the rest of Canada such as Chipotle and Krispy Kreme.

Personally, some chains aren't as exciting when you consider the local options. Red Lobster might satisfy your seafood craving if you live in the prairies, but there are so many great local options that will do it better, cheaper, and fresher in BC.

Yeah, this kind of regional isolation of eateries isn't unique to BC.
I remember when I was studying in Quebec and they didn't have a single Quiznos or Taco Bell in the entire province for the time while I was there ( things may have changed in the time since I left).
It was rather odd - especially considering it wasn't because there was some like local alternative options that were keeping those chains out.

Same thing even happens in the US.
You have some nationally renowned brands that will only be available and operating in certain states or specific regions of the country and nowhere to be found anywhere else, like Whataburger in Texas or In-N-Out in California.

In BC it would make some sense that no one has seen any potential or benefit in opening a sea food eatery like Red Lobster since fresh sea food is really ubiquitous here......unlike in the landlocked prairie provinces.

But yeah, the 'no Quiznos or Taco Bell in Quebec' still bemuses me to this day and made it more of a premium anytime you left Quebec to visit friends of family in neighbouring provinces where they had them and you couldn't wait to get your hands on them.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 11:13 PM

Krispy Kreme here in BC is owned by the Company that has the license to operate KK in Washington State and Alaska. They did have plans to open a second location in Coquitlam on Barnet highway but than the Krispy Kreme scandal hit and the company didn't do so well but they have made a comeback.

I do wonder why they don't open more kiosks in the lower mainlandm like just deliver the donuts to the place, I saw many small stores or kiosks type places in Australia, I think 7-11 down under sold KK donuts.

Something like this at metropolis or Brentwood, park royal etc. would be great

https://www.facebook.com/KrispyAustralia

On a weekend at the Delta store, the drive-thru lineup can be 50 cars long.

Edmonton has a few Red Lobsters, tried it once it was awful, granted I ordered chicken as I don't eat seafood, my friend wanted to try it as he had never really heard of it, he was from Korea, anyway he ordered some shrimp stuff and said it was awful.

They also have a few Olive Gardens, since they are owned by the same company they are located next to each other there. The OG in Langley is always packed busy, the food isn't that great but it's cheap and the endless salad and breadsticks is nice.

East Side Marios which is basically exactly the same had a few locations here in BC but they all shut down, ditto for Swiss Chalet, for some reason those Ontario chains just can't make it in BC.

As For Quizons I recently read that they went from 5000 stores worldwide to under 350 that's a huge drop. There are only 211 left in the USA. I can only find 2 locations for the Vancouver area, one in Surrey and one in Richmond.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 12:08 AM

Lumping White Spot in with Joey's and Cactus Club feels a little wrong to me..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley