HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:31 PM

Improvements to Red River are part of this project:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:33 PM

Well, it's definitely going to look like that, then.

EDIT: but it's still pretty badass that we're getting a 1000+ footer, as bizarre as this one is. I still love how it interacts with Waller Creek -- and it'll transform that entire corner, without a doubt.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:33 PM

No photos, but a follower on Twitter reported that foundations left in place during Demo for Waller Park Place are being Demo'ed today. This project looks good to go.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Well, it's definitely going to look like that, then.
Yes. And I'm one of few the people on here who like it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
New elevations indicate a height of 1,022'.
Gawwwd I really hope it doesn't end up being under 1,002 ft. We deserve to have the tallest skyscraper in Texas!!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:

You do you, ATX . It's not a bad building by any means, and it definitely keeps Austin weird. Unlike some of the Houston monoliths this thing is going to be instantly recognizable across the country. And of course what it does for Waller Creek is almost beyond estimation. With this and the Travis the whole eastern shore is going to be transformed.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Gawwwd I really hope it doesn't end up being under 1,002 ft. We deserve to have the tallest skyscraper in Texas!!!
I don't think we need to worry. The 1,022' height is what they are seeking approval for. From what I can tell, this is real close to approval.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:42 PM
Meh

I think I like it. I'm just not sure what to make of it, and it being so large, I'm just a little nervous of the outcome. I love the interaction with the creek. I think it's incredible. I like the facade. I've long been big on facades being interesting - having texture and contrast and not having a flat static appearance. I usually don't like sloped towers or lots of angles or curves, so we'll see. I am curious to see how it turns out with it appearing differently when viewed from different sides. The top is less than stellar, but it'll do. I think it could end up appearing elegant and intricate. I'm curious how that will be lit.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Count me too! I love this tower

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I think I like it. I'm just not sure what to make of it, and it being so large, I'm just a little nervous of the outcome. I love the interaction with the creek. I think it's incredible. I like the facade. I've long been big on facades being interesting - having texture and contrast and not having a flat static appearance. I usually don't like sloped towers or lots of angles or curves, so we'll see. I am curious to see how it turns out with it appearing differently when viewed from different sides. The top is less than stellar, but it'll do. I think it could end up appearing elegant and intricate. I'm curious how that will be lit.
I think the low rise portions -- the hotel and parking podium -- will probably somewhat resemble the Whole Foods building being built on 5th. If so, the close-in vibe, and the interaction with the street and creek, is just going to be superlative.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 11:02 PM
Meh

I will say that there is a certain dynamic setting up in our skyline that didn't exist just a few years ago. And those are buildings with angles and sloped crowns. Indeed Tower and Block 185 really complement each other well, especially when viewed from the west. Block 185 goes well with Northshore, 100 Congress, and One Eleven when viewed from both the west and east. I think 92 Red River will go well with Block 185, and the two may be good bookends to our skyline along the river. And then there's the Republic Tower, which I hope they don't lay a finger on its current design.

Now for some scale, that setback halfway up is at 571 feet - 2 feet lower than the top of 44 East. Now take 70 Rainey and stack it on top of 44 East. The top of those two stacked on top of each other would come about halfway up the crown of 92 Red River. It's 30 feet taller than both of those together.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Sep 28, 2021 at 11:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 11:47 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Bloody hell, this is starting to seem like it's going to happen! I am an eternal optimist, and I never imagined Austin having the tallest building in Texas.

I'm to the point where nothing will surprise me anymore, though. This city just keeps on proving the doubters wrong. Imagining a future 10 years out with this tower, and all the others, and our downtown subway would've seemed unfathomable even 10 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 1:04 AM

I will be pretty disappointed if the final height ends up at 1022' being just one foot shy of the tallest tower in the South... but what a tiny complaint that is

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 5:43 AM

They could put an observation deck at the top of tower overlooking downtown would be nice.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 6:12 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

Im torn, as a native Houstonian losing the title of Texas tallest building kind of hurts but I'll get over it because Chase will still have more floors (75 vs 74) and it wont be in Dallas. LOL

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 12:47 PM

If there was ever a tower that I need to reserve judgement until it's built, it's this one. I'm not feeling it at this time, but I think the incredible height, for Austin, will be the main factor for pulling me in, in the end, and the hotel component. I agree with JoninATX regarding having an observation deck for the public but we all know that unless you are a resident or guest...
The best thing you can say about the topper is that it would be an amazing beacon if they do a good job lighting it up. Imagine how far away it will be visible.

Last edited by the Genral; Sep 29, 2021 at 1:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 1:19 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Wasn't the original proposed height of this tower roughly 1022' above average grade level? And, through some investigation, it was determined that from that same elevation (from HKS) the tower was more like 1030' from the lowest point of entry to its apex. Also, it has approval from the FAA for 1034'.

Again, are we sure it's 1022' from the lowest point if entry to the top of the crown?

**The heights on the "new" elevations are very difficult to read...

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 29, 2021 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
No photos, but a follower on Twitter reported that foundations left in place during Demo for Waller Park Place are being Demo'ed today. This project looks good to go.
I just drove past them today. That is correct, they are doing demo on both "sides" of the property.

I'm also quite excited for a roundabout at that point on Red River. People coming up Davis Street (e.g., uber drivers dropping people off on Rainey) almost always blow through that stop sign.

Three retail spaces is also exciting. For something like this, I'd imagine they are shooting for at least two restaurants -- and while Rainey has plenty of bars, it would be nice to have a few more restaurant spaces in the area.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:58 PM
World Traveler

Super cool! I guess I forgot that the highest elevation will be basically at the corner of Red River and Cesar Chavez. That's awesome. Good find, ATX! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 6:02 PM

Gobsmacked......

I can't believe this actually happening. LFG!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin