HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:14 PM

While this doesn't set the skyline on fire, it's not distracting either. What I appreciate is its street engagement and the tower itself from the street. That is very attractive! Also, remember there is the upcoming shorter tower directly to the East, which will add a nice stepping effect as far as skyline view aesthetics go. The upcoming Kensington will be a totally different aesthetic, giving the skyline a good stab of diversity when viewing from the east. LOL, although we're already complaining that the upcoming spate of new towers looks the same as Kensingston. I like the upcoming styles, and they're by no means enough of them yet to worry about having too many, particularly given their varied locations. I'm just grateful we're not doing a hundred of the exact same pattern like a few boomtowns out there such as Vancouver. Even Liberty Sky is an improvement over that residential tower pattern that went up by the dozens in some skylines.

This has been brought up before and there was never a definitive answer. It would appear that there is definitely an arc to the top from the north to the south. Even in the rendering view from the north, it appears as if they have elevated the center of the crown from north to south, giving it a slight bowing effect. Anyone able to confirm that.

I've always disliked the skyline most from this angle. I'm looking forward to the improvement that 95 S. State, Kensington, CCH, and The Tavernacle(Worthington) will add to the northern view. Now if we can just get Property Reserve to add that rumored tower directly to the north of the COB. Even something in height about half to two thirds of the COB would be a big improvement in the northern view.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 22, 2021 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:25 PM
Space Magi

95 State looks great from street level and has a huge effect at City Creek. The glass is really high quality and the curves are very nice. From far away, it fills one of the big gaps and extends the skyline east/west. I think it's a nice addition. I'm actually glad it's not taller because having a 500 ft tower there right now would only increase the dominance of the northern part of the skyline induced by the COB. Kensington will instead pull the center of mass southward and balance things out.

The top of 95 State is bowed, but only by about 3ft in height from edge to center, if I'm recalling correctly.

2020 was the year of three 20-30 story buildings under construction in SLC. 2021 is the year that three 30-40 story buildings break ground!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
95 State has finally launched their website.
https://www.95stateslc.com/

95 South
It looks like the building does include an LDS chapel on social Ave. I guess I thought it was only speculation at this point. But these confirm it will.

Last edited by Old&New; Feb 22, 2021 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:56 PM

The length to width ratio of 95 state is so extreme, the tower has two totally different personalities when looking east/west compared to north/south. I also agree with the attractiveness of the glass used for 95, as I've looked through Skidmore Owings and Merill's portfolio, their glass tower designs are starting to grow on me. 111 south is actually one of my favorite towers in SLC now, mainly because of how high quality and reflective the pretty dark blue glass is, but also because of how sleek and perfectly flat edge the faces look, no blobby/bulging window panes, no breaks or odd shapes in a half-assed attempt to make the tower look unique or have "flair" just a perfectly flat edge that reflects sunlight beautifully. Its width to height ratio makes for a very attractive symmetrical office tower in my opinion, and perfectly rectangular prisms, while regarded by some as "generic", are becoming increasingly rare in new high-rise builds, and are essential, in certain quantities, to a stylish and well-rounded American skyline. I value the classic styles.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:08 PM

^I feel the same and really like how you described 111. That glass corner at street level is a step above beautiful by any major city standard.

Courtesy of Mother Nature, there's no denying this skyline setting and view is one of the most stunning anywhere. It also shows an excellent mix of curtain styles. Each tower has its own personality but fits well with the whole.
I think that 95 S. St., Kensington, Liberty Sky, and the Theatre Tower are going to look fantastic at this angle. I'm trying to figure out exactly how much if any of the Regent Tower will show up from this view.
Like Atlas was pointing out regarding the height of Kensingston, it will really add a nice balance, pulling the verticle toward the center. Even from all angles, Kensington will have a balancing effect.
It's easy to visualize when looking at the COB in this pic. It will be interesting to see the next and new tallest placement. Where will it be and what will that effect have on the skyline design?
If located at the southwest corner of Main and 1st. S. it will make a really attractive vertical addition, especially from the iconic northwest angle.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 22, 2021 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:41 PM

Did you guys know that as currently zoned and under current liquor laws, the new CCH cannot serve alcohol? There's a new bill under consideration that would modify the law a bit, among other things (allowing online alcohol orders from grocery stores/breweries/distilleries). Here's an excerpt from the SL Trib.

Allowing hotels built within “a community reinvestment project area” to qualify for state liquor licenses — even if they are located close to a school, church and other community location. This provision is specifically designed to help the 26-story convention center hotel being built in downtown Salt Lake City. It doesn’t meet the current distance requirement under the law. The hotel would qualify as long as the bars, restaurants and other liquor sales areas are on the upper floors and not accessible from street level.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 5:47 PM

Ewwwe, why did the put a colonial steeple on top of the mid-century gothic revival church at the head of West Temple?! It looks awful even from far away. What a waste of money.

It's like doing this:

Last edited by Old&New; Feb 22, 2021 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 8:41 PM
Space Magi

Photo Dump

So I was in SLC today, and I grabbed some photos for you all. All I can say is that the growth in our city is impressive and that we have a wonderful downtown core that is primed for an urban renaissance when this pandemic is over.

95 State

Liberty Sky

Future site of Kensington and Regent Street towers

Hyatt Regency

Midtown Construction

West Quarter & Paperbox

CINQ site & Central Station Apartments

Since it was mentioned earlier today, here is a 111 Main beauty shot:

CCH from 100 S and Main:

As always, remove the "h" before ".jpg" to get full size versions of all of these photos.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 9:03 PM
BANNED

Thanks for the photo updates Atlas. I am fan of Liberty Sky. It’s nice to see developments happen east of state street with Liberty Sky, 95 State, the potential Worthington, etc. That side of downtown has always felt more developed but at the same time it needed some infill with modern buildings.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 10:39 PM
of SLC

Thanks for the eye candy, Atlas!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the photos Atlas! I love seeing the new towers from different parts of downtown.
I noticed, the other day, that the Hyatt Regency is already visible from the 600 South I-15 off ramp.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 11:55 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post

Ewwwe, why did the put a colonial steeple on top of the mid-century gothic revival church at the head of West Temple?! It looks awful even from far away. What a waste of money.

It's like doing this:

Definitely an odd choice. Not a huge deal for such a minor building but it looks like it happened some time between 2011 and 2014. So, it's been there for a while.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 12:58 AM

Didn't someone say that construction trailers were being placed at the Kensington site? I didn't see anything new in that last photo.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Didn't someone say that construction trailers were being placed at the Kensington site? I didn't see anything new in that last photo.
Unfortunately they were trailers for a movie production happening, not construction trailers.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
...I've always disliked the skyline most from this angle. I'm looking forward to the improvement that 95 S. State, Kensington, CCH, and The Tavernacle(Worthington) will add to the northern view. Now if we can just get Property Reserve to add that rumored tower directly to the north of the COB. Even something in height about half to two thirds of the COB would be a big improvement in the northern view.

Seems there would be an improvement once the Capitol's north campus building is rebuilt and if the LDS church decided to reclad the north stairwell to match the rest of the building:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 11:07 PM

^That would be the best-case scenario Old&New. I actually like the cladding on the COB. Mostly because it's one of the better examples of that era. At least better than the dozen or more we have here in L.A. It's just that north stairwell that bugs me. Maybe though they are going to reclad it like they did the old Zions Tower. The rumor was that the current cladding is not as secure as they would like.

I think they were planning to eventually tie the Office Annex into the Capitol design.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:07 PM

Actually, I might like this treatment (to the COB stairwell) better... not sure:

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:30 PM

I think the architects thought of the northside of the COB as the backside, and the south side as the front side facing the rest of downtown. Maybe they didn't consider that a lot of photos of SLC would be taken north of it.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I think the architects thought of the northside of the COB as the backside, and the south side as the front side facing the rest of downtown. Maybe they didn't consider that a lot of photos of SLC would be taken north of it.
Seems an odd decision to think of a skyscraper having a "backside." Can't think of many buildings like this that came soon before or around that time. This North side is the side that has street frontage too. A tad bit uninspired.

Unrelated, I took a look at the block containing the exchange place and played around with the urban design. Thought it might be of interest:

Last edited by Old&New; Feb 24, 2021 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 6:05 AM
BANNED

I think 222 is another great example of a building having a clear and prominent “frontside” and “backside”.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West