HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 10:46 AM

What countries will build more skyscrapers in the next 10 years?

Just another idea I had about where skyscrapers are likely to pop up in the future, given shifts in current trends. Here are my personal thoughts on 10 countries that I think will be building the most skyscrapers throughout the 2020s and 2030s - feel free to comment or speculate on your own.

India - India's economic growth has become very rapid and robust, and I could see it go the way of China twenty years ago. Massive urbanization and a huge demographic boon is driving high-rise construction in major cities, especially Hyderabad, the Delhi Metro Area, and Kolkata. Mumbai and its metro area already looks insanely vertical, just lacking much height above 300 m that will hopefully be fixed soon.

Canada - Canada's population is growing quickly due to high levels of immigration, and most end up concentrating in a few metro areas. Already one of the countries with the best skylines for its population, Canada will grow upwards with much of this in the Metro Toronto and Metro Vancouver regions.

China - Will probably be building lots as usual, continuing from the last decade. Though some cities are seeing patchy records (such as in Tianjin or Hefei), other cities like Hangzhou and Jinan are powering on. Its economic troubles, especially the residential property market, may hamper this somewhat. The Greater Bay Area (Shenzhen, Guangzhou, etc) seems to be more resilient.

Vietnam - A Southeast Asian country with a large population and a rapidly industrializing economy, benefitting from investment away from China, and two large cities, is surely a recipe for a skyscraper building boom. Many of its smaller cities are also getting skylines of their own.

Mexico - Similarly, near shoring will bring benefits to a large economy that is one of the few Latin American countries that can boast some height. Mexico City's massive population and Monterrey's closeness to the US will mean a lot of activity in those two cities, with cities like Puebla, Guadalajara, and Tijuana following.

United States - I'm cautiously optimistic that the US, given its very strong economy, can translate that into another building boom similar to the late 2010s, especially with a lower interest rate. Despite the pandemic killing most office-related project, a growing interest in urbanism and high-rise living may hopefully lead to American cities finding the spirit to go tall once again. Regardless, NYC and Miami are likely to keep expanding.

United Arab Emirates - Just continuing the trend from the past decade. Almost all of it will probably be in Dubai, which is currently seeing a huge real estate boom.

Indonesia - Similar reasons to Vietnam, with Jakarta being a massive urban area that already has a great skyline. However, parts of it are sinking.

The Philippines - Again, similar reasons to Vietnam, and Manila is also huge.

United Kingdom - The only fully European country to have more or less embraced high-rise building in its major cities. I can see London, Manchester, and Birmingham continuing to get taller. Trouble with the British economy seems to have done little to affect this trend, with homes sorely needed due to a lack of supply. Number-wise, it will probably build less in absolute terms than some countries I haven't mentioned, like Malaysia.

Honorable mentions to Japan (resurgent economy?), Israel, and South Korea (lifting of regulations prompting new proposals after a pause in Seoul).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 3:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

India should take off (in lockstep with GDP growth), whereas China should taper down (too much overbuilding)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions