HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 1:36 PM
BANNED

^ The West Loop is an absolute forest of cranes right now. I recall when Google was going up, I was amazed by the 4 cranes visible from the Kennedy. There have to be at least 10 currently and I have no idea what they're for besides 1 S Halsted haha.

Last edited by Skyguy_7; May 11, 2018 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 1:58 PM
The City

I can’t keep track of the West Loop any more.

All I can really say is “Carry on, lads! I don’t know what you’re building, but keep it up”

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 2:59 PM

i feel that way about the city in general. there was a time when it was a little point of pride that i could kind of know what was going on in any given pocket of the city and thats kind of hilariously quaint at this point

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:07 PM

Great shots!

More West Loop - just wrapped up McDonald's headquarters:

The restaurant is open

and some international menu items - I had a Hong Kong's McSpicy Chicken

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:34 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Excellent photos, SolarWind

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Great shots!

More West Loop - just wrapped up McDonald's headquarters:

]
Went by 2 days ago. The international menu idea is very cool. They have some strange products available around the world. The building looks great.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ The West Loop is an absolute forest of cranes right now. I recall when Google was going up, I was amazed by the 4 cranes visible from the Kennedy. There have to be at least 10 currently and I have no idea what they're for besides 1 S Halsted haha.
https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/west...on-development

Here's a map of everything being built in the West Loop. It's all low/mid-rises and rehabs.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 7:24 PM
BANNED

^ Thanks! 52 sites. Amazing.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 8:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/west...on-development

Here's a map of everything being built in the West Loop. It's all low/mid-rises and rehabs.
That's insane amount of projects. Could there ever be a shortage of construction workers if lets say Amazon would jump in anywhere in the city.

I am reading construction workers are not fungible. So if an explosion of expansion took place how could the need for construction workers and materials be met?

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 8:57 PM

^ construction workers are not fungible but they are mobile. I ran into an iron worker from indianapolis who has been living in temp housing for 9 months with continuous employment in chicago, most recently one of the lasalle street projects.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 9:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
That's insane amount of projects. Could there ever be a shortage of construction workers if lets say Amazon would jump in anywhere in the city.

I am reading construction workers are not fungible. So if an explosion of expansion took place how could the need for construction workers and materials be met?

I don't think there would be a shortage because we have mixed trades form composite crews regularly when work is booming. For example, I'm a Union Millwright but we are also certified Piledrivers and Scaffold Builders. We are united with the Carpenters as part of the UBC and we can work on each others jobs. You can also be permitted on to work with an AFL-CIO trade if you hold welding and rigging certs or whatever cert is required for the scope of work.

Carpenters come work at steel mills with us Millwrights on our crews regularly even though they usually have no clue how to perform the work. Millwright's typically don't work commercially but we definitely have the skillset to build skyscrapers. A lot of our work blends with Ironworkers who we battle with constantly in auto plants and mills over what work is who's because we both work with steel. Our work is mechanical and they have structural which creates many blurred lines in the division of labor. In auto plants we also work structural, (making connections and so forth) because of this, we have to allow 1 Ironworker for every 3 Millwrights in Auto Plants so we work together often. So basically, we could be brought out to work as riggers, welders, scaffold erectors or piledrivers if needed. But no, all trades are not interchangeable though a lot of skillsets do overlap. I've worked jobs where Ironworkers or Millwrights are operating cranes because they hold CCO's, some districts allow for this while others are strict about scabbing.

Last edited by Siriusly; May 12, 2018 at 10:31 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:02 PM

There's also loads of single family homes and smaller buildings (2-5 units) being built outside of downtown. And on top of that, there's loads of renovation type of projects too

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 10:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post

I am in the industry and can tell you there is a grave shortage of manpower right now. Our particular union hall is at full employment. We are at capacity for the summer and our competition is as well. We’re bidding work very high, if at all. Times are good!

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 4:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
I am in the industry and can tell you there is a grave shortage of manpower right now. Our particular union hall is at full employment. We are at capacity for the summer and our competition is as well. We’re bidding work very high, if at all. Times are good!
What trade are you? I'm guessing Ironworker by the name.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 9:45 PM

Hello Everybody,

I have been following this forum for years and just started taking pictures of some projects. Would someone mind giving me directions on how to post photos on here?

I have a few of Gr333n that some of you might find interesting.

Thanks!
-Bobby West Loop

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 9:56 PM
Urbane observer

Welcome!

First, think about what size you want them to be on the forum. I think around 1000 pixels wide is good.

Second, choose a service that will actually host the image. Because it's free and incredibly easy, I use imgur.com. Imgur will let you resize an image (and other small alterations) after it's uploaded.

Third, use the "Forums" code that Imgur supplies and put it in your post. If using another service, get the URL and click the yellow button showing a mountain.

Fourth, add a credit line if not your own work.

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Welcome!

First, think about what size you want them to be on the forum. I think around 1000 pixels wide is good.

Second, choose a service that will actually host the image. Because it's free and incredibly easy, I use imgur.com. Imgur will let you resize an image (and other small alterations) after it's uploaded.

Third, use the "Forums" code that Imgur supplies and put it in your post. If using another service, get the URL and click the yellow button showing a mountain.

Fourth, add a credit line if not your own work.
Wow thank you for the hospitality and the incredibly informative instructions. I'll get right on it!

Old Posted May 13, 2018, 10:43 PM

Gr333n tower crane stub is set to rise in the West Loop.

Last edited by PittsburghPA; May 13, 2018 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:12 AM
Chicago

145 S Wells

May 14, 2018

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 2:16 AM

Old Town Park

May 10

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations