HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:11 AM

The Next Canadian Olympics

What will the next city to host the Olympics be? Winter or Summer? Will it be a city that has already hosted, or a new host?

I know it's only been four years since Vancouver, but with Olympics in 1976, 1988, and 2010, Canada should expect another Olympics some time in the future.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
What will the next city to host the Olympics be? Winter or Summer? Will it be a city that has already hosted, or a new host?

I know it's only been four years since Vancouver, but with Olympics in 1976, 1988, and 2010, Canada should expect another Olympics some time in the future.
I think the next Olympics should be a summer Olympics in Toronto. Toronto is growing into a wonderful city, but this is a relatively new phenomenon and most people's ideas about any place they're fairly unfamiliar with are outdated by at least a decade. The Olympics would do amazing things to showcase Toronto to the world, and it'd be the kind of event that would spur the real intelligent city building and visions Toronto needs right now. I think that it also might do quite a bit to spur civic pride and, I hope, civic identity building. It also has the infrastructure and population to host an Olympics and make good use of any Olympic legacy structures for years to come.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think the next Olympics should be a summer Olympics in Toronto. Toronto is growing into a wonderful city, but this is a relatively new phenomenon and most people's ideas about any place they're fairly unfamiliar with are outdated by at least a decade. The Olympics would do amazing things to showcase Toronto to the world, and it'd be the kind of event that would spur the real intelligent city building and visions Toronto needs right now. I think that it also might do quite a bit to spur civic pride and, I hope, civic identity building. It also has the infrastructure and population to host an Olympics and make good use of any Olympic legacy structures for years to come.
You could say the same thing about Calgary or Vancouver... but they already hosted the Olympics.

Seriously though, I think it almost has to be a Toronto summer Olympics, probably in the 2030s.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I don't know, it would have to be executed perfectly if Toronto wants to minimize all the risks typically attendant to hosting the Olympics, like having a major drain on finances, massive structures that are never used after the Olympics, and complete gridlock during the Olympics.

I grew up in the GTA, so I definitely love the city and want to see it get international acclaim. But frankly, I'd rather see the city use its finances prudently to fund much needed infrastructure projects, especially public transit. I'd take more subway lines over an Olympics any day.

And yeah, hosting the Olympics might spur those kinds of projects, but more often than not it seems to lead to cities taking a huge hit financially, and cities prioritizing the Olympics over ordinary folks in need.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
cities prioritizing the Olympics over ordinary folks in need.
As it should be

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
As it should be
Why?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:13 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I don't know, it would have to be executed perfectly if Toronto wants to minimize all the risks typically attendant to hosting the Olympics, like having a major drain on finances, massive structures that are never used after the Olympics, and complete gridlock during the Olympics.

I grew up in the GTA, so I definitely love the city and want to see it get international acclaim. But frankly, I'd rather see the city use its finances prudently to fund much needed infrastructure projects, especially public transit. I'd take more subway lines over an Olympics any day.

And yeah, hosting the Olympics might spur those kinds of projects, but more often than not it seems to lead to cities taking a huge hit financially, and cities prioritizing the Olympics over ordinary folks in need.
I agree with everything you're saying, but Canada seems to do a good job of avoiding the pitfalls you outline in the last paragraph. We're not China or Russia.

It's almost inevitable that the summer Olympics will come back to Canada within the next 20-30 years. When it does, it will be Toronto. As you alluded to, the Olympics does spur politicians to action. There's nothing like being embarrassed before the world to get politicians on the same page and get things done instead of debating endlessly about it.

The only possible white elephant for Toronto would be the Olympic Stadium, but even there we can avoid that if we're smart about it. Commission a 80,000 seater that will be down sized to 40,000 (and no athletics track) immediately after the Olympics. The NFL fantasy needs to put to rest and attention focused on the sports franchises we do have.... not some team in a foreign league that may never materialize.

An intimate 40,000 seat football specific stadium for the Argonauts and we're golden.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:59 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I agree with everything you're saying, but Canada seems to do a good job of avoiding the pitfalls you outline in the last paragraph. We're not China or Russia.

It's almost inevitable that the summer Olympics will come back to Canada within the next 20-30 years. When it does, it will be Toronto. As you alluded to, the Olympics does spur politicians to action. There's nothing like being embarrassed before the world to get politicians on the same page and get things done instead of debating endlessly about it.

The only possible white elephant for Toronto would be the Olympic Stadium, but even there we can avoid that if we're smart about it. Commission a 80,000 seater that will be down sized to 40,000 (and no athletics track) immediately after the Olympics. The NFL fantasy needs to put to rest and attention focused on the sports franchises we do have.... not some team in a foreign league that may never materialize.

An intimate 40,000 seat football specific stadium for the Argonauts and we're golden.
Oh is that ever true. It's the same way if i want to get stuff done around the house I'll ivite company over because I'll get way more things accomplished than I otherwise would. Nothing like having a fixed deadline and the threat of embarassment to spur one to take action!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:21 AM

Québec is perfect for that. We're just too poor to own the games.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
I think Quebec would be a great city for the winter Olympics, but the main barrier is that Le Massif was rejected as it was a just a little bit too short to qualify as a mountain for the winter Olympics. Since they won't accept Le Massif, it's hard to think of a mountain that would make this work, but otherwise I agree that Ville Quebec would be a great location. There's also, of course, the provincial fiscal situation that needs to be sorted out before entertaining the idea of such a lavish expenditure. If things could get back on track, though, I think Quebec could handle things well, it seem like a very well managed and sensible city.

Last edited by BIMBAM; Oct 2, 2014 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:38 AM

Quote:
I think Quebec would be a great city for the winter Olympics, but the main barrier is that Le Massif was rejected as it was a just a little bit too short to qualify as a mountain for the winter Olympics. Since they won't accept Le Massif, it's hard to think of a mountain that would make this work, but otherwise I agree that Ville Quebec would be a great location. There's also, of course, the provincial fiscal situation that needs to be sorted out before entertaining the ideabof such a lavish expenditure. If things could get back on track, though, I think Quebec could handle things well, it seem like a very well managed and sensible city.
Totally agree !

You're very well informed !

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:38 AM

Are the mountains near Montreal viable for a Winter Olympics?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:40 AM

Edit.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:40 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
I think the closest suitable Mountain would be in the states. Lake Placid?

Anyone?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think the closest suitable Mountain would be in the states. Lake Placid?

Anyone?
Chics-Chocs in gaspesia but it is still too far from Quebec ( 5 hours)

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:41 AM

Quote:

Not sure, I don't see anything around Montreal
Now, they could go to Vermont, though, a bit too far.
And I'm not sure if Mont-Tremblant (968m) is high enough.... ( and 1h drive from downtown)

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
And I'm not sure if Mont-Tremblant (968m) is high enough.... ( and 1h drive from downtown)
I see Mont-Tremblant's vertical as 645m, but I don't think it really matters. Wouldn't Mont-Tremblant already have courses marked out for these international events (for lesser national and international tournaments, qualifying, etc)?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Tremblant was rejected back in the mid 90's by the FIS when they tried to get a downhill event. They even built a little hill on top to house the starting shack.

Le Massif is just a little short but there were also some problems with the men's course. To reach the length required they would have to add a mound and/or some scafolding. This idea was rejected for 2002 but the IOC is getting desperate for Winter Cities so it might be Ok now.

If Quebec City can figure the downhill course out hey should be a no brainer. Tie in a new stadium for the ceremonies with a CFL expansion team as well.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I think Quebec would be a great city for the winter Olympics, but the main barrier is that Le Massif was rejected as it was a just a little bit too short to qualify as a mountain for the winter Olympics. Since they won't accept Le Massif, it's hard to think of a mountain that would make this work, but otherwise I agree that Ville Quebec would be a great location.
I am pretty sure the issue with Le Massif could be worked out through a mix of geotechnical magic and political gamesmanship.

That wouldn't be a deal-breaker. As you say, it's only a little bit too short. Not way too short.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's not true at all. Look at places that are hosting or bidding to host the games how rich they are relative to Quebec (or Canada or Toronto).

There is a really good question of how public funds should be spent and whether the Olympics are a reasonable use of taxpayers dollars, but please don't say anywhere in Quebec (or Canada even) is too poor to host the games. That's simply not true.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada