HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:11 AM
Ironweed

[QUOTE=UTPlanner;9276767]So I don't actually work for SLC any longer but definitely have some connections. I will ask around a bit for some updates on projects.

Where are you headed next UTPlanner? New city?

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
We never hear about things being out of scale for the neighborhood when it's on the west side, or anywhere but a historic east side neighborhood.

We never complain about historic houses being demolished when it's on the west side.

We never complain about new housing developments unless they're on the east side.
This. If these houses were on the west side it wouldn't have came up at all... I'm all for preservation but there are so many other buildings *actually* worth preserving on the east side. This is my neighborhood and there is so much demand for housing in this area that we really need projects like this. It's so close to the trax stop too

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
Random, but check out this San Diego proposed hotel. Love the glass façade that doesn't cover the entire tower.
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...h-condos-hotel
I love the base but I loathe the tower.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 9:44 AM

My thoughts on Salt Lake City - Where we were, where we are, where we are going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
All this being said, I think in future we all do need to stop constantly trying to compare Salt Lake to other cities, especially ones far, far larger. Cause your just setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think it is important for people to remember that up until now, Salt Lake has been little more than a minor regional capital that was (and still frankly is) relatively obscure to the rest of the country, let alone the rest of the world. That is slowly (I emphasize slowly) changing, but many of you seem to think the city should somehow go from the depths of obscurity to a world capital overnight. It just doesn't work that way.

You all keep bringing up examples of 1,000 ft+ tall towers that cost $500 million+ each asking 'why SLC isn't getting something like this?' It's cause Salt Lake is not Brooklyn, New York.

I do believe the future is bright, and I think the 2020s will be Downtown Salt Lake's greatest decade yet.

But this whining about why every tower doesn't look like it was designed for the rich in a place like Dubai or apartments towers for billionaires in New York needs to stop. Saying a slight design change or addition here or there is one thing, comparing our early days developments or our skyline to buildings (like 9 dekalb avenue) and cities much larger (like Phoenix) is getting ridiculous.
Since I have a little more time, I thought I would expand a little on what I was saying a few days ago.

*I apologize in advance for the post's length and I recommend strongly watching at least the Salt Lake City on the Edge documentary below - its great.*

WHERE WE WERE

One of the main reasons why I'm not super fond of comparing Salt Lake to other metros is because every city's urban story is different.

Some cities never saw a sharp decline in their downtowns in the mid-twentieth century. Other downtowns completely collapsed. The vast majority, including Salt Lake City, landed in between.

Depending on how early a city started to revitalize itself and to what degree those efforts were successful really determines what stage that city is at right now. It should also be noted that the way a city was initially designed and built has an impact as well. Salt Lake, with its special wide blocks and roads was designed with perfect agricultural living in mind, not urban. This still impacts the city to this day, making it difficult to recreate the same 'cozy' feel that eastern cities have.

In the 1989 KUTV documentary series (3 part series below) 'Salt Lake City on the Edge' we see just how bad the urban decay in Salt Lake City had become.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

This is could be seen as particularly shocking because the 1980s was Salt Lake City's greatest tower building decade.

I made this chart for the List of tallest buildings in Salt Lake City Wikipedia page.

However, my theory is that Salt Lake City was so focused on the development of towers that too little focus was being paid to what was actually happening at groundlevel. Salt Lake as a place people live and wanted to be as pedestrians was collapsing even as large (mostly) office towers geared towards commuters were being built. Even with the construction of the Salt Palace and other cultural draws, the city was falling into sharp decline as people moved to the suburbs.

The documentary above is so important because it shows exactly how Salt Lake City planners, the RDA, other city officials, and developers started to switch their priorities heading into the 1990s and beyond. Namely:
- moving away from tower promotion and construction and towards mid-density restoration and redevelopment

- focusing on fixing the declining downtown shopping malls and 'raising city creek to be above ground' (the city creek part only kinda happened with an artificial creek).

- Improving the quality of city controlled streets at street level - we see the plans for the revitalization of Main Street. This also includes the promotion of mid-block accesses and walkways.
This change in focus is the primary reason why Salt Lake City's downtown is not as filled with towers as many of us would like. However, it is the reason why downtown Salt Lake City is much more livable than it was at the height of our 1980s tower construction.

It is no coincidence that after the early 1990s tower construction tapered off until the completion of City Creek and 222 Main in the late 2000s and 2010s.

In fact, it is directly because of these changes in priorities and policies in the 1990s that resulted in City Creek Center and the urban renaissance we are currently experiencing today.

For reference, below is an amazing 2012 documentary on the history of the two blocks that became City Creek.

Video Link

The success of mostly LDS funded City Creek, 222, and 111 as well as dozens of mid-density apartment developments in the 2010s has lead us to where we are now.

WHERE WE ARE NOW

We now sit at what I really consider is the very beginning of Salt Lake City's true renaissance. City Creek helped stop the bleeding, clear out much of the infection, and set us on an initial path of revitalization that we have experienced in the 2010s.

Now though we are starting to see all that work really pay off with a dozen towers either planned or under construction. Over a hundred mid-density projects are either planned or under construction either downtown or throughout the city.

Just as important, Salt Lake is starting to see foreign (non-Utah) developers and investors take an interest in the city for the first time in its history.

All of this is AMAZING for Salt Lake.

But it is still just the start. This is where I think frustrations seem to be occurring.

Yes, Salt Lake is behind some cities, but it is also ahead of others as well.

I think it is important to remember that City Creek, really the catalyst that truely kicked off our downtown revitalization opened only a decade ago and into the aftermath of financial crisis as well.

Comparing Salt Lake's 10 year old revitization to cities that are 30 or 40 years into theirs isn't being fair at all. Today we are starting to really reap the benefits of the past decade of successes, but we are still young in our rebirth.

However, the future is VERY bright.

WHERE WE ARE GOING

Now we enter my speculations. Obviously the projects that are currently under construction as well as the vast majority of projects planned will happen, adding thousands of residents to downtown Salt Lake and tens of thousands to Salt Lake City in general.

What is happening right now with Astra Tower and Worthington is out of state developers are essentially 'testing the waters' so to speak. They are trying to see whether or not the Salt Lake market can take tower developments of their type, size, and price. The success or failure of these towers will likely shape the next thirty years of development in the city.

If the current set of planned towers are successful, I suspect by mid-2020s Salt Lake City will start to truly EXPLODE. With proven successes, more foreign (non-Utah) developers will feel comfortable building even larger and grander projects. This is why it is imperative these projects are successful if we ever want to see Salt Lake rise to much more impressive heights.

I think, barring some economic or social collapse, we will see a period of about 30 years where Salt Lake City will always have at least 1 tower under construction at any time - more likely many more. My prediction is we will have a skyscraper by 2030 and multiple skyscrapers by 2040.

We may be behind on towers now, but I think we will catch up really fast. I think in about 20 years downtown Salt Lake will be nearly unrecognizable. I would even go as far as to predict that by around 2040-2045 not one tower that is currently announced or exists today will be in the city's top ten tallest buildings.

So to those of you who are concerned by our lack of towers and skyscrapers all I can say is: patience. They will come.

SUMMARY

Salt Lake, just like every other city, has had its own path to revitalization. Ironically, I think the RDA's hyper focus on tower building in the 1970s and 1980s really set us back because it was helping to paper over the overall decline the city was experiencing. While I don't blame them, this did set Salt Lake behind other cities (often the cities y'all like to compare SLC too) that seemed to identify the problems and solutions earlier on.

I summarize the decades like this:
1980s - Hidden decline - Intense RDA sponsored tower development but declining downtown population, retail, and livability
1990s - A shift in policy - Salt Lake started focusing on developing plans to revitalize downtown with a focus on mid-density redevelopment, increased walkability, planning for the Olympics, public transit, etc.
2000s - City Creek - The planning and construction of City Creek, clearing out the two blighted downtown malls really set the stage for Salt Lake's renaissance.
2010s - Post-City Creek boom - Initially set back because of the lingering impacts of the 2008/2009 financial crisis, the overall success of City Creek breathed new life into the downtown area. Downtown felt safer, cleaner, and more livable than before. This resulted in the start of the residential boom we are still experiencing today.

Speculations:

2020-2025 - testing the waters - Salt Lake's boom enters a new phase, as we gather more out of state developers interested in the city, including new towers. The success of these projects will determine SLCs longer-term prospects as a 'Great American City.'
2025-beyond - Skyward we go - with easily developable land becoming scarce, even for mid-density - developers have no choice but to start going skywards. It is in this time Salt Lake starts acquiring legit skyscrapers, downtown starts to spill out into other areas, and ascends to new heights.
Again I would just like to reiterate that we are still at a very early stage in our redevelopment era, spanning really only back a decade or so.

This is why I think it is folly to compare Salt Lake to cities that are much further along their own path. Can we learn from them and work to improve? Sure! But we are NOT them. We are at where we are at. Wishing us further along doesn't make it so.

I think the city's future is only going to get brighter. The skyscrapers will come in time. Frankly, with the population growing and land becoming more scarce, its basically inevitable. So just be patient.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; May 12, 2021 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:54 PM
Space Magi

Saw this in another thread and I thought of our recent "flat top" conversations. This tower is the same height as 111 Main but is clearly a less boxy design. Thoughts on how it would look in SLC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Frost Tower in San Antonio. Not a huge amount taller, but a bit taller all the same. Looks stumpy to me.

Droning Over Downtown by bill barfield, on Flickr

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Saw this in another thread and I thought of our recent "flat top" conversations. This tower is the same height as 111 Main but is clearly a less boxy design. Thoughts on how it would look in SLC?
I always though PPG Paints Tower in Pittsburgh has a decent enough, non-boxy top as well.

Atlanta has some nice spires I always appreciated as well, not sure those happen very often these days either.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I drive by that tower every day. It definitely garners attention as it's about the only glass tower downtown

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:03 PM

Not a fan of that tower. I hope SLC doesn't get something gimmicky like it.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 8:31 PM

That tower is hideous. Definitely prefer the plainness of a tower like 111 Main over the tacky postmodernism of that tower.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 10:43 PM
They all float down here

Boring can be hideous. Especially in two decades. The KeyBank Building is pretty hideous. Why? Because it's bland as fuck. It's about as generic as one could get for a skyscraper and that alone makes it dated and an awful fixture in the skyline.

I also think the American Towers are hideous - as well as the two State Street towers that were built in the 1980s.

The problem with Salt Lake isn't necessarily height - it's just that no tower stands out. The only tower that really seems to stand on its own is the One Utah Center and I thnk it's the most aesthetically pleasing tower in the city. 99 West is probably the next one, but I am unsure if that's due to its being isolated from the rest of the skyline or what.

But when I look at this photo, my eyes instantly are drawn to the One Utah Center:

Not only because of its unique color scheme (copper/red in a sea of blues and whites), but the pyramid.

What's remarkable is that One Utah Center remains the 6th tallest and, beyond the skyline shots from the NW (where it appears, along with the Wells Fargo Center, to be smaller than it is, it is the one that continues to draw my focus all these years. Hopefully Astra Tower changes it a bit.

But I absolutely would take that Frost Tower because it breaks up the monotony of a very boring skyline.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 11:13 PM
Space Magi

Yeah, I think 95 State is going to be the most attractive tower in the city when it's done, largely because of the curvature of the glass. We really don't have a standout tower otherwise, but Astra will be a step in that direction.

I personally don't dislike the Key Bank Tower. It's probably the best example of that 1960s-70s boxy late-modernist style in SLC (much better than 136 E South Temple imo), the facade is actually pretty nice, and the base is really enhanced by City Creek.

Source

The condo with that view is for-sale at that link for 900k, by the way.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:03 AM

Salt Lake City in the 80's

I moved to salt lake in 1984 and I remember well how blighted and horrible looking Block 57 was (currently the home of the Gallivan Center, One Utah Center and the Wells Fargo tower. There was a horrible ugly abandoned Jc Penneys Building and a hideous Parking garage that rose over the sidewalk and some other small ancient buildings.

The transformation of that block has been truly amazing (there is a picture of the old Block 57 in the second video that was posted by Blah Amazing a few entries back on the thread.

I have to admit that Salt Lake has truly made tremendous strides since the 1980's to make downtown a more walkable , liviable and attractive place to be.

Back in the eighties I was pretty involved in the development of downtown salt lake and submitted a number of ideas to make downtown salt lake a more attractive place to the city council and the redevelopment agency.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Not a fan of that tower. I hope SLC doesn't get something gimmicky like it.
Very much agree Orlando! I don't so much mind the body of the tower but the top gives off a definite vibe of cheap and tacky, poorly executed. My first thought was something in downtown Vegas from the 80's that even Vegas would have demoed by now. There are innumerable tower tops around that Salt Lake City should emulate to spice things up a bit but still remain timeless and elegant without being boring.

I agree with Atlas on the Key Bank tower word for word particularly regarding the upgraded base.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 2:28 PM

I actually like the Key Bank Tower too. I like it's proportions, and because it sits behind the other towers on South Temple, it's kind of like a backdrop building rather than a tower that needs more fancy articulation. Now that City Creek opened up its base, the new addition works really well with it.

Last edited by Orlando; May 13, 2021 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 6:53 PM

The Key Bank Tower’s new city creek base saves it. Why y’all doggin on the skyline so hard? Yeah it’s not the best in the world, but the other cities you guys bow down to don’t look much different IMO. I think salt lake has a decent mix of different eras of architecture. Although it is sad how much history we’ve lost. I look forward to the new skyscrapers on the horizon, however you can’t change my mind on the CCH, that thing is has horrible proportions.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:06 PM
The Drifter

It's conversations like this about crazy looking buildings or signature towers that I wish I could still find an image of the 33 floors, 600+ Social Hall Tower that was proposed in the early 2000s.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
It's conversations like this about crazy looking buildings or signature towers that I wish I could still find an image of the 33 floors, 600+ Social Hall Tower that was proposed in the early 2000s.
People keep referring to this proposal as a 600 footer, but it was proposed at 469 feet

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.des...-downtown-site

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Scale it down so it doesn't demolish a significant amount of historic housing stock in a pretty interesting neighborhood. If it isn't scaled down, I hope the project fails. We're getting ridiculously flippant with perfectly fine homes being demolished for this type of development. It has to stop or in 50 years, Salt Lake isn't going to have any historical identity left.

I could see if the bungalows on this block were rundown - but they're not. Completely unnecessary development at its size. Hopefully the city demands it's scaled back (not necessarily in height) or they put the kibosh on this proposal.
I think we should have a higher threshold for not tearing down SFHs than just they have been around for a long time and are in reasonably good shape. Most cities of significant size had to tear down their stock of low density housing to make way for their city "growing up". I know there are tons of empty lots or crappy buildings, but they still have to be available to for sale and at the right price. For me the only one of the buildings worth altering this higher density development over is the InterVarsity Christian House. The rest are clones of many thousands still in the city.

For me the vast majority of the SFH stock should be zoned to allow at least du, tri or fourplexes to take their place. The historic identity of a city is constantly being replenished and changed. The cities that get frozen in time have housing costs that skyrocket (e.g. San Francisco). In order for densifying to work at least some of the these developments need to be in desirable locations and not relegated to industrial or highly urban areas.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 8:29 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
People keep referring to this proposal as a 600 footer, but it was proposed at 469 feet

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.des...-downtown-site
It had a spire on it that would put it over 600 feet.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
It had a spire on it that would put it over 600 feet.
Yes. 469 feet is real though.

Spire heights are lame. I remember the rendering and I no way could I in good conscience call that a 600 footee

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West