HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I dont think anyone would say Chicago is a hub for mexican peoples and culture, they would for say Polish or Italian, or Irish (and long long ago French). Even if their are more Mexicans in Chicago by absolute numbers than those other groups these days.

Thats my take anyway
There's way more Mexicans in Chicago than Polish or Italian. Irish, not sure.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
I have family all over the west coast (California, New Mexico, Texas). Chicago is a Mexican hub, and a completely unique one for being so far north and East . It’s only laughable to west coasters that have never been there.
Yea I tell Mexicans in LA how large Chicago's Mexican population is. Most of them had no idea. I mention Milwaukee sometimes too.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 12:20 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Chicago's role as a Mexican-American hub is not laughable to people on the West Coast--I think it's exactly what we would expect of such a large and prominent American metropolis. It's just that Westerners often don't know much about a lot of places to our east, including Chicago.

If anything, I would think Westerners are guilty of assuming Mexican-Americans have a bigger presence throughout the nation, especially in the big regional hubs, than the data would support.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
The other Great Lakes/Rust Belt cities ceased to be major immigration hubs nearly a century ago.

You can see that with another large group - Polish Americans. Chicago attracted a lot of Polish immigrants through the 1980s and 1990s, while the other cities are pretty much all pre-1930 Polish American.
South Asians are another large Chicago group that immigrated in the later part of the 20th century.

For some reason, European, Mexican and Asian immigration all continued to boost Chicago's population onto the late 20th century/21st century, long after Midwestern cities in general were known for peaking in terms of high immigration rates. Any reason besides the fact that Chicago was the biggest city in the region?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Chicago's role as a Mexican-American hub is not laughable to people on the West Coast--I think it's exactly what we would expect of such a large and prominent American metropolis. It's just that Westerners often don't know much about a lot of places to our east, including Chicago.

If anything, I would think Westerners are guilty of assuming Mexican-Americans have a bigger presence throughout the nation, especially in the big regional hubs, than the data would support.
What do Mexican-Americans and those with familiarity with Mexican-Americans in the West think about NYC? Would it be surprising that the Mexican presence isn't as big out east or is it common knowledge that other Hispanic groups are more common out east like Puerto Ricans around NYC's metro or the various Latin American/Caribbean groups in Miami?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:59 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
For Latino/Hispanic populations in cities and states, everywhere but the eastern seaboard is mostly Mexican with the occasional smaller group thrown in (Hispanos in Santa Fe and Albuquerque, Tejanos in Corpus Christi and San Antonio, Central Americans in Los Angeles and Houston, a rich tapestry of ethnicities in New Orleans, Puerto Ricans in Chicago, San Antonio was founded by the Spanish crown but originally settled by afrohispanic Canary Islanders, etc.).

Along the eastern seaboard, however, cities and states all lack the same large Mexican American populations present west of I-95 yet are still known for specific particular communities: Brazilians (Boston, Jersey, Chicago), Cubans (Miami, Jersey, NYC), Puerto Ricans (Orlando), Hondurans, Costa Ricans, and other Central Americans (Miami, NYC, Boston), Haitians and other (NYC), Dominicans (NYC), Colombians (NYC), Venezuelans (NYC), etc. EXCEPT rural North Carolina. Economic pressures there have resulted in decent rural pockets of Mexican American farm labor.

My question is this: why doesn’t the United States have any city to speak of with a large immigrant population from Chile, Argentina, Peru, Bolivia, The Guyanas, Paraguay, or Uruguay? Or do we and I just don’t know?
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:57 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
What do Mexican-Americans and those with familiarity with Mexican-Americans in the West think about NYC? Would it be surprising that the Mexican presence isn't as big out east or is it common knowledge that other Hispanic groups are more common out east like Puerto Ricans around NYC's metro or the various Latin American/Caribbean groups in Miami?
I would say Westerners of every race expect all big US cities to have Mexican-Americans in large numbers, including New York, as a projection of what we experience here. At the same time, I'd say everybody also knows the West Coast and Southwest are more Mexican-American than most of the country.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
My question is this: why doesn’t the United States have any city to speak of with a large immigrant population from Chile, Argentina, Peru, Bolivia, The Guyanas, Paraguay, or Uruguay? Or do we and I just don’t know?
NYC has very large population from Guyana. There are a few almost entirely Guyanese enclaves. Liberty Ave. in Brooklyn-Queens is a Guyanese mecca.

Most of the other countries you listed have decent representation in NYC and Miami. But obviously Chile and Argentina were immigration destinations until recently, and Uruguay and Paraguay immigrated to these wealthier next-door states. Totally anecdotal, but my coffee guy is Uruguayan.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:51 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I’ve lived in the East for most of my life, and I can attest to the fact that I met Latinos from a variety of national origins. Mexican, Puerto Rican, Dominican, Cuban, Brazilian, Ecuradoran, Nicaraguan, etc. It was only when I came to the Inland empire that I started to meet only Mexican Latinos on a day to day basis.

As for Chicago as a hub, I think some earlier posters hit it on the head. I also think relative proximity to the Western US and Mexico compared to the Eastern cities helped bring a lot of Mexicans to Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Cleveland being lowest isn't surprising as it's east of the "Mexican/Puerto Rican" line. But yeah Chicago really stands out, with some spillover in Milwaukee. The other cities have Black-dominated NHW populations for the most part.
Not sure what is meant by Cleveland being ''east of the 'Mexican/Puerto Rican' line'' as Cleveland and its area has a larger Puerto Rican population than Mexican. If anything, Cleveland has been historically east of the "Mexican line.''

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 7:13 PM

^ That's my point. The Hispanic population in Cleveland is mostly Puerto Rican.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 7:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ That's my point. The Hispanic population in Cleveland is mostly Puerto Rican.
Got it. Understood now.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:13 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Where Latinos exist, they are largely a mix between Mexican and another group or just outright Mexican, in any city that is not on the I-95 corridor:

All major non-western cities that are not on the I-95 corridor:

Atlanta: Mexican, Central American particularly El Salvadoreno, and Caribbean
Cleveland: Puerto Rican and Mexican
Chicago: Mexican, Puerto Rican, Brazilian, others
Milwaukee: Mexican
Indianapolis: Mexican
Columbus: Mexican and Puerto Rican
Detroit: Mexican (huge dating back to the 20s and 40s, one of the hardest hit by forced repatriation during the 20s and 30s)
Minneapolis: Mexican and Ecuadorian
Kansas City: Mexican and Central American, particularly Guatemalan and El Salvadoreno
Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Cincinnati have negligible Hispanic/Latino populations.

Anyone know what Tampa’s large Hispanic community consists of?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:22 PM

Milwaukee is more PR than Cleveland is Mexican, no?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failte View Post
Not sure what is meant by Cleveland being ''east of the 'Mexican/Puerto Rican' line'' as Cleveland and its area has a larger Puerto Rican population than Mexican. If anything, Cleveland has been historically east of the "Mexican line.''
What does the Mexican-Puerto Rican "line" look like in the Southeast as you get from a more historically Mexican-immigrant influenced state (Texas) to a Puerto Rican- immigrant influenced one (Florida), but with lots of areas with low Hispanic populations in between like Alabama, Tennessee or even Appalachia in general?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
What does the Mexican-Puerto Rican "line" look like in the Southeast as you get from a more historically Mexican-immigrant influenced state (Texas) to a Puerto Rican- immigrant influenced one (Florida), but with lots of areas with low Hispanic populations in between like Alabama, Tennessee or even Appalachia in general?
Atlanta is largely Mexican, but with Central American pockets
Houston has large Central American populations
New Orleans is historically the south’s non-Mexican Mecca, until Miami usurped it, but it also has a large Mexican population

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Milwaukee is more PR than Cleveland is Mexican, no?
Yes.

~80-15 Puerto Rican to Mexican in Cleveland
~70-25 Mexican to Puerto Rican in Milwaukee

All four communities are large enough for mention.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:45 PM

To answer my own question:

Cleveland city

Puerto Rican 31,000 8.1%
Mexican 4,500 1.1%

Cleveland MSA

Puerto Rican 66,000 3.2%
Mexican 24,000 1.2%

Milwaukee city

Mexican 74,000 12.4%
Puerto Rican 27,000 4.5%

Milwaukee MSA

Mexican 108,000 6.9%
Puerto Rican 37,000 2.3%

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Atlanta is largely Mexican, but with Central American pockets
Houston has large Central American populations
New Orleans is historically the south’s non-Mexican Mecca, until Miami usurped it, but it also has a large Mexican population
Does the low-Hispanic population area of Appalachia, western PA, Kentucky, etc. strongly divide the Puerto Rican "east" with the Mexican "west"?

The coastal Southeast or South Atlantic (Virginia, South Carolina etc.) doesn't have as many Mexicans but still seems to be connected to the Puerto Rican "east coast" community between NYC and Florida.

The transition is more gradual in the northeast/Great Lakes, right?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 8:58 PM

Does the Mexican/Puerto Rican line also reflect their relative share of immigration history by land vs. by sea?

The Southwestern Mexican communities and those of the Texas, Great Plains, Chicago I think had a land route (Chicago's early Mexican community in the 1910s came up from the southwest), whereas the Hispanics (including Puerto Ricans and others, both islanders and Central/South Americans) crossed the sea, naturally.

I'm also curious as to if Mexican communities in the East tend to be those who internally migrated from Mexican communities in the West/Southwest rather than independently moved from Mexico directly, by plane or sea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions