HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 2:23 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:02 AM
"Think about the Future"

"he say you a blade runner"

Oh.. how Times Square and the original Times Building are an ode to the change from classy to cyberpunk dystopian trashy of the entire area.
If one is a Native New Yorker or a transplant you know to avoid Times Square like the plague especially during the tourist heavy, festive event of New Year's eve.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2023, 9:37 PM

Since they are already tearing the thing apart down to the bones now would be the perfect time to restore the lost original facade stripped away in the 60s. Massive missed opportunity in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 2:19 AM
New Yorker for life

Few days ago...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedgrandeur View Post
Since they are already tearing the thing apart down to the bones now would be the perfect time to restore the lost original facade stripped away in the 60s. Massive missed opportunity in my opinion.
It would cost the developer more in material/construction work + leasing it wouldn't be as easy as it is with the current plan.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 4:18 AM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 17, 2023

Old Posted Dec 9, 2023, 3:21 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/...novations.html

One Times Square project marks topping out in Manhattan

By Kevin Smith
Dec 8, 2023

Quote:
...Renovations at the famed property are expected to be completed by real estate developer Jamestown in 2025, transforming the 119-year-old iconic building the company has owned since 1997.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2023, 4:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 4:20 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

this is pretty much the perfect gimmee.

and it looks like jamestown isn’t about to screw it up.

what a fun view that deck will have — and wraparound — i love it!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2023, 9:23 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, I'm looking forward to visiting that place and actually going up in that tower. It's been a mystery for years, only having gone into the drug store at the base (if that counts). But that vantage point of Times Square should be great, as well as all of the activities inside.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 12:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 1:04 AM
Show me the blueprints

You couldn't pay me enough to stand in those cattle corrals for 8 hours waiting for midnight. There's nothing organic about the TS New Years anymore, not since the post Sept 11 security state came into effect... nothing "natural" about this gathering. There's almost as many cops as revelers there. What people find so fun about this I have no idea.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 2:07 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
You couldn't pay me enough to stand in those cattle corrals for 8 hours waiting for midnight. There's nothing organic about the TS New Years anymore, not since the post Sept 11 security state came into effect... nothing "natural" about this gathering. There's almost as many cops as revelers there. What people find so fun about this I have no idea.
back in the 90s i used to go with my coworkers who flashed the badge at each corral and bumped us up to the front instantly in like 15min before the ball dropped — those were the days lol.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 6:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Eight hours? You, sir, would be late. People stand for many more hours than that. But people come from all around the world to do it. They would probably be disappointed that you wouldn't want to join them. But I say to each his own. I've done it about 3 times, but only do it for someone who's never had the experience. I would much rather see it from indoors somewhere (preferably somewhere that has a bathroom). But nothing compares to actual experience.

Now, for another New Year's tradition I personally wouldn't do...

Video Link

JANUARY 1, 2023

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 5:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Looks like they may just open on time (before the end of the year).

JANUARY 27, 2024

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 10:41 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

look at that cladding.

unrecognizable.

a round of applause to the redevelopers.

they are really trying hard to entertain people with this project.

i hope its a success.

i think it will be.

i mean, there is really not much else you can do with the interior except make it some kind of funhouse.

anyway, just the wraparound roof deck will be a fantastic view.

kudos for braving ts.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 5:14 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yeah, it’s looking great, and somehow makes the building look more sleek.

Pretty much looks like the renderings, you can even see the upper deck.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2024, 5:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

I too think it will likely look pretty slick. But let me use this space to lament how little of the charming old mechanical and neon signs exist in Times Sq anymore. Everything is essentially an enormous programmable LED TV screen. It's bright - almost too bright. And it's boring.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 8:36 PM

Quote:
I too think it will likely look pretty slick. But let me use this space to lament how little of the charming old mechanical and neon signs exist in Times Sq anymore. Everything is essentially an enormous programmable LED TV screen. It's bright - almost too bright. And it's boring.
Back in the '80s, I took a wonderful tour led by Tama Starr*, Pres of the Artkraft-Strauss company, highlighting the 'Spectaculars' of Times Sq. as they called them..

We got to see their workshop (NEON fabrication!!) and the highlight for me was going up to the Coca-Cola sign. We passed a noisy room full of clacking relays and went out onto a little maintenance platform in front of the sign - and MAN - you could feel the heat radiating from the bulbs... Unforgettable!

*She's co-authored a fantastic book chronicling the pre-LED/video screens spectaculars of times Square from 1892 to 1998. It's called "Signs and Wonders - The Spectacular Marketing of America" Currency/Doubleday

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development