HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 6:26 PM

Here's the CBC article about the same event:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...uare-1.7142534

Personally, I like the last line in this article:

"A fourth tower near the square, which will include a hotel and residential units, is under construction. "

Is the writer telling us something, or just repeating some old news?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
It is not, it's exclusive to employees of the building.
Ah man. Sucks.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Got any sources? I’d love to read up on these new studies if that’s truly the case.

Either way hybrid seems like a simple compromise. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.
As I understand it, the productivity losses are typically due to communication/coordination frictions, lowered collaboration outside of silos, and challenges related to onboarding/socializing new hires.

Quote:
"Several studies find that fully remote work yields lower productivity than on-site work. Emanuel and Harrington (2023) analyze data from a Fortune 500 firm that, before the pandemic, operated call centers with both remote and on-site employees in the same jobs. In response to the pandemic, the firm shifted all employees in these jobs to fully remote work. Productivity among formerly onsite employees fell 4 percent relative to that of already-remote employees. Emanuel and Harrington also find evidence that the closure of physical call centers reduced call quality, especially among less experienced employees. These findings are noteworthy, in part, because they involve a firm with prior experience in managing fully remote call-center workers. Presumably then, the firm had already adapted its systems and practices to manage fully remote workers.

Gibbs, Mengel, and Siemroth (2023) study productivity outcomes for skilled professionals at a large Indian technology services company. In March 2020, the company abruptly shifted all employees to fully remote work in response to the pandemic. Immediately after the shift, average worktime rose by 1.5 hours per day and output fell slightly according to their primary performance measure. They estimate that the shift to remote work lowered average labor productivity (output per hour worked) by 8 to 19 percent. They also provide evidence that greater communication and coordination costs drove much of the measured productivity drop. In particular, time spent on meetings and coordination activities rose, crowding out time devoted to a concentrated focus on work tasks.

The productivity concept matters here, as well. Table 2 of Gibbs, Mengel, and Siemroth (2023) reports an average two-way commute time of 1.3 hours per day. That is, the savings in commute time largely offsets the extra 1.5 hours per day that employees put into their jobs after the transition to fully remote work. From the worker’s perspective, and from a societal perspective as well, the company’s shift to remote work had small effects on productivity. The larger point is that the commute time-savings from remote work can offset sizable drops in productivity, as conventionally measured.

Gibbs, Mengel, and Siemroth (2023) also find that employees “narrowed the scope of their networks” after shifting to fully remote work, engaging in fewer contacts inside and outside the organization. Other studies also find scope-narrowing and siloing effects associated with remote work. For example, Yang et al. (2022) find that communications among 61,000 Microsoft employees became more asynchronous after a pandemic-induced shift to remote work, and collaborations became more static and siloed. Battiston, Blanes i Vidal, and Kirchmaier (2021) find that police dispatchers work faster, especially in busy periods, when they sit in the same room as other dispatchers. These three studies suggest, in various ways, that remote work can slow communications, impede the diffusion of knowledge within an organization, and narrow the scope of collaborative efforts.
https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdf/10.1257/jep.37.4.23

It's tough because it's nuanced. There are definite productivity losses from remote work. Some of these can be managed with better processes and systems: In the office, you can "learn the ropes" just by watching and interacting with others. If you lose the office, you need to figure out how to replicate that kind of tacit exchange of knowledge.

But there are real costs to RTO: You lose the flexibility people have used to manage family care commitments and their work-life interface. People spend their days commuting. And, since wages have not kept up with cost of living, you have people spending substantial amounts on car/insurance/gas/parking. This article from BetterUp suggests that RTO costs employees >$500 monthly on average.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/emplo...114844452.html

So I get that we need people in offices for healthy downtowns, and I understand the managerial impetus behind RTO. But there are winners and losers, and the winners here aren't the workers.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnevs View Post
As I understand it, the productivity losses are typically due to communication/coordination frictions, lowered collaboration outside of silos, and challenges related to onboarding/socializing new hires.

https://pubs.aeaweb.org/doi/pdf/10.1257/jep.37.4.23

It's tough because it's nuanced. There are definite productivity losses from remote work. Some of these can be managed with better processes and systems: In the office, you can "learn the ropes" just by watching and interacting with others. If you lose the office, you need to figure out how to replicate that kind of tacit exchange of knowledge.

But there are real costs to RTO: You lose the flexibility people have used to manage family care commitments and their work-life interface. People spend their days commuting. And, since wages have not kept up with cost of living, you have people spending substantial amounts on car/insurance/gas/parking. This article from BetterUp suggests that RTO costs employees >$500 monthly on average.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/emplo...114844452.html

So I get that we need people in offices for healthy downtowns, and I understand the managerial impetus behind RTO. But there are winners and losers, and the winners here aren't the workers.
Excellent post!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 7:33 AM

Mostly nonsense. Where there’s a will there’s a way. But managers are lazy and companies like to exert control. It’s also not true that all work from home lost productivity. Where I work we gained.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Mostly nonsense. Where there’s a will there’s a way. But managers are lazy and companies like to exert control. It’s also not true that all work from home lost productivity. Where I work we gained.
And where I work it went down. We don't know what Wawanesa's internal stats look like.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 5:42 PM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:12 PM
What could go wrong?

It's a great looking building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It's a great looking building.
It's been bittersweet watching it get built knowing that in my office I had to go 2 floors up to piss for almost a year lol. Sigh.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 11:15 PM

It is without question in my top 5 of favorite Hi-rises in Winnipeg.
So much chatter on if this is 19, 21, 23 floors. I Know they increased from the original renders and it looks even better because of the increase.
It seems like 22 floors to me

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 11:16 PM

There were workers on the Sutton site on my way home from work today.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
There were workers on the Sutton site on my way home from work today.
I just walked by about an hour ago and didn't see any.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
I just walked by about an hour ago and didn't see any.
Now these workers are teasing us.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 8:08 PM

All I can see are tarps blowing in the wind. But I can't see the full site, especially nearest to Wawanesa.

Maybe we're seeing planning type folks out there intermittently, which is still good news if that's the case.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
All I can see are tarps blowing in the wind. But I can't see the full site, especially nearest to Wawanesa.

Maybe we're seeing planning type folks out there intermittently, which is still good news if that's the case.
We can all hope so.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 11:09 PM

Is the future intent to allow 2nd floor pedestrian traffic from City Place thru the building to the Sutton Hotel and then to the Convention Center?

Right now there are signs on the new skywalk at the True North Square next to the Liquor store saying no public access, pass cards are required to open the doors to the building.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 12:23 AM
keep the good times going

The plan appears to extend the skywalk south from the Wawanesa Tower, along the future Sutton Place Towers and into the convention centre.

Skywalk loop!

Image from: https://www.suttonplace.com/about-us/new-properties

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:25 AM

Hats. Reminds me of that gnarly old rendering of the Rockport monstrosity on Smith that never materialized with the hats. This is obviously better looking overall though.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Is the future intent to allow 2nd floor pedestrian traffic from City Place thru the building to the Sutton Hotel and then to the Convention Center?

Right now there are signs on the new skywalk at the True North Square next to the Liquor store saying no public access, pass cards are required to open the doors to the building.
You can't get across the skywalk? Maybe it's just a sign with the actual locked door at Wawanesa.

The intent is similar is similar to what Peg posted, as they don't actually show Wawanesa in that render.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
You can't get across the skywalk? Maybe it's just a sign with the actual locked door at Wawanesa.

The intent is similar is similar to what Peg posted, as they don't actually show Wawanesa in that render.
Ya I tried walking into there the other day and it is definitely locked. Maybe once the public would have open access to the convention centre as the renders show then they may open it up to the public? Or perhaps there is still work to prepare in terms of the floor and security, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan