HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:00 AM

The Jets played one of their best games of the season, defeating the red hot Devils 6-1. Bowness must have really lit a fire under them. The Jets are now 43-31-3, equal to their point total last year. Calgary had all kinds of trouble beating a terrible Ducks team 5-4, and remain 2 points back of the Jets. Winnipeg does have the tie-breaker though.

Winnipeg will play Calgary at the Canada Life Centre on Wednesday, and it could conceivably be the game that decides if the Jets make the playoffs or not. The good news is that it is a home game, the Jets will be well rested, and the Flames are playing back-to-back games (they play Chicago Tuesday).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 2:54 PM

I still have zero faith. Hopefully they prove me wrong!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:26 PM
What could go wrong?

The only way I would be in on the Jets at this time is if they go 5-0 or at minimum 4-1 in our remaining games.

I don't believe the team was as good as they were in the first 3/4 of the season as they were one of the leagues best. I also don't believe they were as bad as they have been for the last 6-8 weeks....somewhere in between. With that, we should have another 10 points at least which would 1 or 2 in the division.

If they run the table here and keep scoring we could upset in the first round.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:36 PM

This is one year where the loser points hits the Jets big time.

Dallas and Calgary's position are much higher than they really should be. Can't compare apples to apples if the standings were based on Winnipeg percentage, cause and effect type thing.

But Winnipeg should be competing with Dallas for a division spot instead of missing the playoffs to a team with 7 less wins.

Jets could still be in competition for 1st in the division based on wins! Imagine if they hadnt been sleeping for the last couple months.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 3:47 PM

This playoff race is much ado about nothing. The only thing at stake is TNSE's ability to get a box office gate and concession profits from two extra home games. Does anyone really think that the Jets are going to pull off a first round upset over Vegas?

We'd have been better off if the Jets had matched their second half record in the first half and had a shot at Bedard in the draft lottery.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This playoff race is much ado about nothing. The only thing at stake is TNSE's ability to get a box office gate and concession profits from two extra home games. Does anyone really think that the Jets are going to pull off a first round upset over Vegas?

We'd have been better off if the Jets had matched their second half record in the first half and had a shot at Bedard in the draft lottery.
Personally, I hate the Flames with a passion. In 1985, they tried to win dirty, by taking out Dale Hawerchuk, in his greatest NHL season. Then in 2020, Tkachuk took out Mark Scheifele, by intentionally panting his skate on his heel.

I will take great joy in the Jets eliminating them from playoff contention, just like we did in 1985, 87, and 1992.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
This is one year where the loser points hits the Jets big time.

Dallas and Calgary's position are much higher than they really should be. Can't compare apples to apples if the standings were based on Winnipeg percentage, cause and effect type thing.

But Winnipeg should be competing with Dallas for a division spot instead of missing the playoffs to a team with 7 less wins.

Jets could still be in competition for 1st in the division based on wins! Imagine if they hadnt been sleeping for the last couple months.

This is precisely why I sometimes hate the loser point. The Jets would be 43-34, while the Flames would be 36-41, and already eliminated. Even Nashville would be well behind at 38-37.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 7:53 PM

Loser point is stupid it’s Bettmans way of making playoff races more interesting and competitive than they really are.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Personally, I hate the Flames with a passion. In 1985, they tried to win dirty, by taking out Dale Hawerchuk, in his greatest NHL season. Then in 2020, Tkachuk took out Mark Scheifele, by intentionally panting his skate on his heel.

I will take great joy in the Jets eliminating them from playoff contention, just like we did in 1985, 87, and 1992.
Not to quibble with you, but the Jets lost to Vcr in 7 games in round 1 of 1992

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 11:07 PM

Regardless of your level of passion for the team , the Jets also provide 82 nights of entertainment live and on TV in the winter which helps make winter go by quicker ( although not this year lol ) .

Old Posted Apr 3, 2023, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Not to quibble with you, but the Jets lost to Vcr in 7 games in round 1 of 1992
Jets were in a battle with the Flames for the final playoff spot. When the strike ended, we played in Calgary, and won 5-4, eliminating them from the playoffs.

In fact, during the 2019-20 season, when it was interrupted by COVID, the Jets were cruising along, and technically had more points than Calgary. However, after the league called the season off in March, and went with a preliminary best of 5 round in August, the Jets momentum had cooled, and Laine and Scheifele were injured in the first game, otherwise, we probably would have knock the Flames out that year as well.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 4, 2023 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 3:34 AM

Dallas defeated Nashville 5-1 tonight.

Nashville is 5 points back of the Jets, and Winnipeg has the tiebreaker. In order to make the playoffs, Nashville needs to defeat the Jets in Winnipeg, while gaining 6 points on the Jets. Judging from the Predators very tough remining schedule, this is unlikely to happen.

It's down to a 2 horse race. Calgary plays the lowly Chicago Blackhawks tomorrow, and will likely win. However, they will be forced to travel to Winnipeg, and play on Wednesday, less than 24 hours removed from the Chicago game.

This will arguably be the most important regular season game the Jets have played in years.

Standings:

Winnipeg (43-31-3) 89 points
Calgary (36-26-15) 87 points
Nashville (38-30-8) 84 points

Last edited by BlackDog204; Apr 4, 2023 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 9:50 AM

Tonight's game against the Flames is arguably the most important NHL game the Jets have had, since we beat Nashville 5-1 in Game 7 of the 2018 playoffs.

I am really nervous. This game will determine what the Jets are made of.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 2:05 PM

Jets beat Calgary and Nashville. They should be in. Calgary would be eliminated and need 1 more point to clinch over Nashville. Just need to win.

Nashville and Calgary also play each other. Almost feeling like Jets will be in baring a disaster. Which you can't count out at this point..

All for a first round date with Vegas.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Jets beat Calgary and Nashville. They should be in. Calgary would be eliminated and need 1 more point to clinch over Nashville. Just need to win.

Nashville and Calgary also play each other. Almost feeling like Jets will be in baring a disaster. Which you can't count out at this point..

All for a first round date with Vegas.
I don't want to jinx the team....

One game at a time.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 4:02 PM
Community Guy

I will be wearing my Selanne jersey tonight to help provide some mojo.

GO JETS GO!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 5:00 PM
There is always a way

Thank you Chicago hahahaha
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 2:15 AM

Well that's the season. Jets choke again!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 2:24 AM
Community Guy

If the Jets let Calgary in...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 2:41 AM

Please get rid of Mark Schiefele. Lazy uninspired player who shies away from contact whenever the going gets tough. I guess he doesn't really want to make the playoffs as he won't get paid for those games.

This is such an unlikable team at this point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan