HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 1:35 PM

Don't Mediterranean summers get way too hot? Athens, Naples, Rome summers seem to be a bit unconfortable.

On the other hand, I don't like those tropical (very high) altitude climates like La Paz, Bogotá, where temperatures never change. It's always a bit chilly. I like seasons.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Don't Mediterranean summers get way too hot? Athens, Naples, Rome summers seem to be a bit unconfortable.
Depends on the city. Lisbon has very moderate weather. It's common to live without an air conditioner there. Rome, Athens, Naples do get hot, but their heat is drier than much of the eastern half of North America (and South America). It's also common to be a/c free on many of the islands coastal regions in places like Greece since the old stone houses don't heat up that much during the day, and the temp cools off very fast when the sun goes down.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Depends on the city. Lisbon has very moderate weather. It's common to live without an air conditioner there. Rome, Athens, Naples do get hot, but their heat is drier than much of the eastern half of North America (and South America). It's also common to be a/c free on many of the islands coastal regions in places like Greece since the old stone houses don't heat up that much during the day, and the temp cools off very fast when the sun goes down.
Yeah, I checked Lisbon summers and temps are like São Paulo, so it's ok. A/C is not necessary. In the region, I've just been in Rome, but on Winter.

The region is magic though. I follow those Instagram profile featuring Amalfi Coast, Liguria, it's heaven.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 5:22 PM

For the "perfect climate," consider what we are literally evolved for: the highlands of Ethiopia/Kenya.

Addis Ababa has a lovely climate.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post

On the other hand, I don't like those tropical (very high) altitude climates like La Paz, Bogotá, where temperatures never change. It's always a bit chilly. I like seasons.
Only if you’re away from the water and near sea level. But that’s why Athenians and Romans abandon those cities in July and August (leaving them to stupid tourists who don’t know any better), and head to the seaside or hills. The elites have done so since ancient times. These days practically all of Italy leaves the cities for the entire month of August.

Otherwise, if you are in the littoral zone it is fine, and just up the hill it’s fine. The old towns and villages are almost always on a hill, with narrow streets for shade during the day. You can often need a light jacket in the evening even in August. It’s just in our dumb modern times that they’ve built housing down in the valleys.

That’s Gordes in Provence. Outside of the direct sun, you can be comfortable in long pants in August. And I say that as a person who always runs hot. If you want to swim in the hotel pool, you need to stay down in the valley. All of the old villages in the region are up on a hill of some sort, except for the trading cities (like Avignon) which are along a river by necessity.

And Bogotá is basically too cold year round. Medellín is better.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by 10023; Oct 27, 2021 at 12:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 6:13 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Only if you’re away from the water and near sea level. But that’s why Athenians and Romans abandon those cities in July and August (leaving them to stupid tourists who don’t know any better), and head to the seaside or hills. The elites have done so since ancient times. These days practically all of Italy leaves the cities for the entire month of August.
I've heard this about Beirut but haven't experienced it for myself.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I've heard this about Beirut but haven't experienced it for myself.
I’m not sure about Beirut. I’ve never been there in the summer but I have been to Tel Aviv, which has the same weather, and its coastal location keeps it pleasant. I was there in June I believe and even in a suit (no tie, it’s Tel Aviv) it was fine.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions