HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 8:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! View Post
^6 supertalls including 2 Prudential
yeah, if you include poles and go to the dark side (the metric system)

on a serious note, 2Pru and FC are like our junior level supertalls; they're technically there, but they certainly don't feel like they deserve the distinction.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 9:22 PM

Yes I agree. Buildings like Bank of America, N.Y. Times and Chrisler in N.Y. feel the same way. They all just don't have the same presence as buildings that are 1000ft plus to the roof.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i love this image.

i know it's a long shot, but if all of that stuff gets built, it would represent a massive re-centering of the skyline around the river mouth.

within a 1/2 mile of the river mouth you'd have 5 bonafide supertalls and 5 additional buildings at least 800' tall. that's a pretty serious critical mass of height.

and you'd still have the outrigger groups of sears & friends down south and hancock & friends up north, but the visual peak of the skyline would be that massive clump of height right in the middle around the river mouth, right where it all started 250 years ago.
In looking at that picture -- as many have speculated, Tribune Tower, though just 1 tower and set further back from the lake, will indeed be the likely tone setter. Something about the height, batman ears and almost regal stature of the building. Its thin profile, shape and relative centered position also add an imaginative spire like peak to the entire skyline.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
In looking at that picture -- as many have speculated, Tribune Tower, though just 1 tower and set further back from the lake, will indeed be the likely tone setter. Something about the height, batman ears and almost regal stature of the building. Its thin profile, shape and relative centered position also add an imaginative spire like peak to the entire skyline.

Hadn't noticed this earlier but that wide gap between buildings really helps to preserve the lake views of the folks over in the Trump building. How nice of Related to do that.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 1:54 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK47 View Post
Hadn't noticed this earlier but that wide gap between buildings really helps to preserve the lake views of the folks over in the Trump building. How nice of Related to do that.
The river already did that for them lol

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 1:58 AM

No, lets not use the existing foundation for one grand massing tower, Instead lets split the site and add visual clutter to the lakefront. Let this die on the vine.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 2:25 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
yeah, if you include poles and go to the dark side (the metric system)

on a serious note, 2Pru and FC are like our junior level supertalls; they're technically there, but they certainly don't feel like they deserve the distinction.
WPS could pass one or both thresholds (ignoring the 1/2 mile limit). That'll be the one that bolsters the river/central peak from the side of the skyline that people stare at bleary-eyed for an hour plus. Also I'm sure developers have set a 5-10 year reminder in their phones for the NBC lot(s).

Wolf Point and 400 N LSD are really the width-wise Hancock/Sears pair going forward.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 2:18 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
No, lets not use the existing foundation for one grand massing tower, Instead lets split the site and add visual clutter to the lakefront. Let this die on the vine.
Perfectly illustrating the difference between those who talk about tall buildings
and those who actually build tall buildings.

Buildings become less efficient the higher you go—geometrically so. There's the amount of floorspace required for elevators and exit stairs, the strength of the concrete, the time needed for construction. That's why the Spire went through three iterations, each trying to hang more units on the same set of elevator shafts.

Do you really think Related and SOM didn't run the numbers? Do you think they just picked the floor counts based on the CEO and his daughter's ages?

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Do you really think Related and SOM didn't run the numbers? Do you think they just picked the floor counts based on the CEO and his daughter's ages?
Well, if the CEO is 76 and his daughter is 65, someone should have notified the authorities long ago...

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 7:32 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Perfectly illustrating the difference between those who talk about tall buildings
and those who actually build tall buildings.

Buildings become less efficient the higher you go—geometrically so. There's the amount of floorspace required for elevators and exit stairs, the strength of the concrete, the time needed for construction. That's why the Spire went through three iterations, each trying to hang more units on the same set of elevator shafts.

Is all of this encompassed under "premium for height", or does that just apply to structural integrity the higher you go up?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 5:24 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
i love this image.

i know it's a long shot, but if all of that stuff gets built, it would represent a massive re-centering of the skyline around the river mouth.

within a 1/2 mile of the river mouth you'd have 5 bonafide supertalls and 5 additional buildings at least 800' tall. that's a pretty serious critical mass of height.

and you'd still have the outrigger groups of sears & friends down south and hancock & friends up north, but the visual peak of the skyline would be that massive clump of height right in the middle around the river mouth, right where it all started 250 years ago.
And still no mass transit tying together Streeterville with the rest of downtown.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 5:52 AM

I hope they give this project an intriguing name. Don't get me wrong. I think there is power behind a street address like say 300 N LaSalle or 432 N Park, but for this guy I hope they come up with something. Being able to call Vista, Vista, has a better ring to it than like 310 E Wacker.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 1:33 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
And still no mass transit tying together Streeterville with the rest of downtown.
The priority of an east-west line just becomes ever more obvious over time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 2:48 PM
Urbane observer

Why? This is not an office tower. Trip generation rates for residential highrises are quite small, and for those sold at superpremium prices to nonresidents, transit boardings are less than rounding error. There just aren't that many cleaning ladies coming by every day.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The priority of an east-west line just becomes ever more obvious over time
Ready and Waiting

(Lower Carol st between State and Dearborn - Marina City)

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 4:34 PM
BANNED

It's very fortunate for Chicago that the cost of developing buildings is a fraction of what it is in NY because it makes projects like much more viable and easy to build. Due to the obscene costs of land acquisition and labor, towers like this could never have a rental component in NY. In fact, towers like this couldn't even rise in NY as condos priced at less than $5k/sf, and the market for that price range obviously is limited.

I look forward to these beauties.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 4:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
It's very fortunate for Chicago that the cost of developing buildings is a fraction of what it is in NY because it makes projects like much more viable and easy to build. Due to the obscene costs of land acquisition and labor, towers like this could never have a rental component in NY. In fact, towers like this couldn't even rise in NY as condos priced at less than $5k/sf, and the market for that price range obviously is limited.
On the other hand, it's "very fortunate" for New York that it has the demand to overcome those costs. Or maybe it's because of the demand that those costs exist in the first place, which makes the comparison moot to begin with.

On that note, it's very fortunate for me that my mom had ovaries because if she had testes I wouldn't have been born.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 5:40 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Why? This is not an office tower. Trip generation rates for residential highrises are quite small, and for those sold at superpremium prices to nonresidents, transit boardings are less than rounding error. There just aren't that many cleaning ladies coming by every day.
Perhaps. Still a LOT of residents who would maybe occasionally use such service if the option was available. Then you have Northwestern Medical Campus and a plethora of hotels in Streeterville and you have one of the most worthwhile expansions of transit Chicago could make. The only question is in what form.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
I hope they give this project an intriguing name. Don't get me wrong. I think there is power behind a street address like say 300 N LaSalle or 432 N Park, but for this guy I hope they come up with something. Being able to call Vista, Vista, has a better ring to it than like 310 E Wacker.
Most of the best buildings in NYC and some in Chicago are known by their address. The whole marketing name thing is a bit tacky.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 8:40 PM
THAT Guy

The Beresford, Majestic, San Remo, Dakota, Apthorp....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction