HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 6:51 AM

The Sovereign/the Queen is not a citizen of any country it is head of, as the position is the embodiment of the state in which all citizenship and law flows from. It is the country! The Sovereign can't be its own citizen or subject as one relates to the other and the two cannot be combined.

Under international law the Queen is considered a _____ national. If not she would be considered stateless. Therefore in the EU she is considered a British national and therefore an EU citizen. This has no effect on her prerogatives and responsibilities as Sovereign in her country.

With passports. Since the issue of of passports for example is granted through the 'royal prerogative', the Sovereign would obviously not need one.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 2:00 PM
video et taceo

one is not technically a British citizen, but a British subject -- and the Queen can't be her own subject.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 3:25 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Yay, just another reason to dislike the institution known as the monarchy.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
I can't find the quote but someone stated the Queen isn't British....she may be not the purest Englishwoman on the planet but she is pretty f*cking British.....her ancestors have been in Britain for thousands of years.

By your definition, I guess 96% of Canadians aren't actually Canadian (and how many natives have mixed blood? I am guessing well over 90% of them...I was in Prince Albert yesterday and may have seen the purest Indian I have ever seen, he was almost black). So almost no one is really Canadian.
The Queen's family is from Austria-Germany. They are far from 'Brits'. They changed the family (From Saxe-Coburg to Windsor) at around 1917-1920.

They are nothing more than frauds, the only reason we keep ties with them is not our laziness to change simple laws. The reason we keep ties to the royals is because they have holdings on some of the most lucrative resources and lands here in Canada.

I learned at a young age that the 'Crown' wasn't some fancy business name tied to Canadian government holdings and affairs, it was literally the name of holdings the Queen has on 85% of our land which are Federal and Provincial officials get to kindly by permission.

Get rid of them, they are nothing more than leeches. All Prince Will was doing here was beating war drums for a follys in the middle east. They add nothing of value to our land.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 3:21 PM

Half the people in the UK are descendants from Germany Even the language (English) is from Germany. The other half are from Norman France.

Anyhow, I couldn't care less either way really. The monarchy's relationship to Canada is really only a figurehead relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
The Queen's family is from Austria-Germany. They are far from 'Brits'. They changed the family (From Saxe-Coburg to Windsor) at around 1917-1920.

They are nothing more than frauds, the only reason we keep ties with them is not our laziness to change simple laws. The reason we keep ties to the royals is because they have holdings on some of the most lucrative resources and lands here in Canada.

I learned at a young age that the 'Crown' wasn't some fancy business name tied to Canadian government holdings and affairs, it was literally the name of holdings the Queen has on 85% of our land which are Federal and Provincial officials get to kindly by permission.

Get rid of them, they are nothing more than leeches. All Prince Will was doing here was beating war drums for a follys in the middle east. They add nothing of value to our land.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 3:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

None from Denmark? Pakistan? Norway? Ireland?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 4:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

What a load of horseshit. Crazy uncle talk.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 7:38 PM
Here and There

I dont get why people are so obsessed with a group of people who's basic roots and ideology come from a family that raped and pillaged large group of people for their own benefit. Its a good thing that they have adopted a softer side these days, but the scars live on in their own country. Now they have a small army protecting them. How is this a healthy way to run a country?

Im also glad that we have a figurehead relationship, but the more that I ponder this topic the more that i think we should break free. Half the people in England refer to Canada as one of the "colonies". If that keeps up, we need to ditch! We can have our own version here if neccessary. We are still a young country and have hundred of years to mature.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I dont get why people are so obsessed with a group of people who's basic roots and ideology come from a family that raped and pillaged large group of people for their own benefit. Its a good thing that they have adopted a softer side these days, but the scars live on in their own country. Now they have a small army protecting them. How is this a healthy way to run a country?

Im also glad that we have a figurehead relationship, but the more that I ponder this topic the more that i think we should break free. Half the people in England refer to Canada as one of the "colonies". If that keeps up, we need to ditch! We can have our own version here if neccessary. We are still a young country and have hundred of years to mature.
Any educated Brit knows very well that we are no longer a colony

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 9:50 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Any educated Brit knows very well that we are no longer a colony
I've started to "take back" the word. I always refer to myself as "from the Colonies" when I talk to British folks. Well, any European really. It makes for some good times.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 12:12 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Umm... no, that isn't how crown assets work. The crown (the inanimate object with all the jewels on it which is also the physical embodiment of the authority of our state) owns the land. The queen is just the person that that crown uses to make its wishes known, and we can get rid of both if we want, without affecting the ownership of that land. If the crown disappears, it simply becomes provincial or federal property. If the Queen disappears and we elect a head of state while maintaining the Crown (either physically or simply legally) it remains crown land. The only people making money from it is the government, which we elect, and which serves us.

There is no "scheme" by the Queen to rake in billions of dollars of rent from Crown land, unless you're trying to make some very obtuse argument against the existence of tax.

At this point in the history of the monarchy, the Queen serves us. Just like a president does, in theory.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 3:52 AM
Back from the dead

I've never understood why anybody gets worked up about the monarchy in Canada . When was the last time the Queen tried to tell us what to do ? It's been a while . Things going alright ? The vast majority of us have food , somewhere to live , money to blow at our leisure , and the opportunity to move up in the world .

Sooooo... why do some people always insist on fixing what ain't broken ?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 4:16 AM
Volatile Pacivist

First of all, I don't see any of us rioting in the streets or going on hunger strikes over it. Someone asked a question on the internet and other people answered. Besides you could also ask the reverse question. If we have things so great, why do some people get so worked up about grasping onto inane and pointless and divisive traditions.

Second, there are a lot of things that can and should be improved that aren't "broken."

But don't let that get in the way of tired platitudes.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 4:32 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I wonder how many laws she actually has broken.

If I promise to be good can I also be granted immunity to civil and criminal proceedings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse
The post you were replying to reminds me a bit of the classic "no big deal, so let's have it my way".

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 4:59 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The post you were replying to reminds me a bit of the classic "no big deal, so let's have it my way".
While I don't really agree with the premise of that post ("food and leisure" is easily re-worded as "bread and circuses" - and just because things are ok is never an excuse to avoid making them better), I can't fault the conclusion and I think you guys are just a tiny bit harsh on Spocket here. I have a hard time justifying eliminating the monarchy in my mind. It just seems to be a lot of effort for little gain. From a practical standpoint anyway.

From a theoretical, philosophical perspective - the monarchy offends me to my very core. The entire concept of hereditary privilege is abhorrent to me. Hell, I'm in favour of implementing massive inheritance taxes because I see a new nobility forming in the West, to the detriment of society as a whole. And regardless of what kind of word games people want to use - the dame's a Brit. She was born there, she lives there, she will die there. There is absolutely zero chance of anyone from Canada every being our head of state and that's just plain wrong. Don't even get me started on how offensive the religious requirement is. I can't believe anyone could conceive of attempting to justify that, short of a pretty severe bigot. She's a foreigner, and I'm supposed to be loyal to her simply by accident of birth? What did she ever do to deserve anything from me?

But again, from a practical perspective - I actually have no issue with an unelected head of state. It helps avoid the ridiculousness we see in the US, where re-election and vote bribery is far more important than actually doing anything productive (it's one reason I'm not gung-ho on an elected Senate, although I'm torn here too).

It's one of the issues I really have a hard time reconciling in my mind. I tend to flip-flop every few years on it.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 3:00 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
First of all, I don't see any of us rioting in the streets or going on hunger strikes over it. Someone asked a question on the internet and other people answered. Besides you could also ask the reverse question. If we have things so great, why do some people get so worked up about grasping onto inane and pointless and divisive traditions.

Second, there are a lot of things that can and should be improved that aren't "broken."

So what's your problem exactly ? My comment wasn't directed at you or anybody in particular really .

If you're experiencing stomach cramps , feel bloated , and are otherwise unusually emotional perhaps the regular PMS medication isn't working . Try some of the home remedies . I hear oregano tea has a soothing effect .

Quote:
What the hell is wrong with you people ? It was an innocuous statement . All I said was that nothing's wrong so what's the point of "fixing" things ? At no point did I suggest "let's have it my way" .
You can no more justify steering the country towards republicanism than you can towards a benevolent dictatorship . When there's a problem that abandoning our nominal constitutional monarchy will solve then you'll have a reason to tinker with things . The sense of elitism you two exude is so hypocritical when juxtaposed with the thread topic and your own implied positions .

You two do realize that you're not the only people allowed to have an opinion right ? Considering that your own "rebuttals" were as pointless as the average ad hominem , I can't but wonder what message exactly you were trying to convey other than "You don't agree ?! Well then you're a stupidhead !"

Frankly , what more do you want from life other than what I stated in my previous post ? Considering that you live in one of the most highly-developed nations on Earth where all your basic needs are provided for thanks to the system currently in place , what is it that you deem so detrimental about having a figurehead as our head of state ? "Bread and circuses" ... well what's wrong with that ? You all realize that there is no shortage of countries where neither are reliably available right ? You get all your basic needs met AND you have the greatest horizon of opportunity before you should you choose to pursue any goal .

Now since I already know that you're going to latch onto my "what's wrong with that ?" question and take it out of context , remember to quote the sentence in its entirety when posting your predictable retorts .

Last edited by Spocket; Jul 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2011, 3:21 PM
Closed account

Meh, the monarchy makes no impact on my personal life at all. Keep it, dump it, whatever. I could care less. And keep in mind; I'm part British!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Meh, the monarchy makes no impact on my personal life at all. Keep it, dump it, whatever. I could care less. And keep in mind; I'm part British!
Do you vote, are you a citizen of Canada? If you're a citizen of Canada then constitutional monarchy certainly impacts you. It's not all about corgis and tea parties, as republicans like to ridiculously suggest. All laws and citizenship flow from the top executive of our government. Police, customs, military, passports, taxes, institutions, honours like the Order of Canada, members of Parliament - including yours, are all directly related to our constitutional monarchy.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
Do you vote, are you a citizen of Canada? If you're a citizen of Canada then constitutional monarchy certainly impacts you. It's not all about corgis and tea parties, as republicans like to ridiculously suggest. All laws and citizenship flow from the top executive of our government. Police, customs, military, passports, taxes, institutions, honours like the Order of Canada, members of Parliament - including yours, are all directly related to our constitutional monarchy.
Yet nothing is decided by the Queen. She's just a figure nothing more.
Crack open a beer and enjoy life. You're one of the luckiest individuals on earth.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2011, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Umm... no, that isn't how crown assets work. The crown (the inanimate object with all the jewels on it which is also the physical embodiment of the authority of our state) owns the land. The queen is just the person that that crown uses to make its wishes known, and we can get rid of both if we want, without affecting the ownership of that land. If the crown disappears, it simply becomes provincial or federal property. If the Queen disappears and we elect a head of state while maintaining the Crown (either physically or simply legally) it remains crown land. The only people making money from it is the government, which we elect, and which serves us.

There is no "scheme" by the Queen to rake in billions of dollars of rent from Crown land, unless you're trying to make some very obtuse argument against the existence of tax.

At this point in the history of the monarchy, the Queen serves us. Just like a president does, in theory.

Go look it up man, I'm not even pulling your leg here. What you say makes sense in theory but Federal and Provincial can use 'crown' resources for 'their benefit' they do not own the lands, Federal law superceds provincial law but the CROWN entity itself superceds all.

I am not a constitutionalist though, I'm sure maybe you have more knowledge on the structure of the constitution but all I stated is what I learned in relation to 'Crown' Land+Holdings, which are only granted for use under a guise of 'generosity'.

The "CROWN" is a legitimate trust run out of central London by suit and tie guys for the Queen. I wish I made this shit up, but I didn't. I had to be force fed all this info one long afternoon when my Uncle decided to teach me about how "Canada works" it was full of (3) 4hr documentaries and boring text and papers, but what I got out of it was that the Queen (Crown) has control of 85% of Canada's land, basically all the land we don't live on, and can do what it wants with it. It has never exercised this right out of decency, but it has the power to sell it off to China next week if it wanted too.

I can be this and will try to look up a instance where a certain deal or privatization scheme was shot down by the Queens bureaucrats (order-in-council) since it must of not of jived right with the Trust in Central London. The Queen's Privy has always been this elusive group to me, because through this avenue laws can be shot down without going through traditional parliamentary ranks and process. in "recommendation" to the queen any deals effect crown holdings that don't jive right can be terminated.

I agree with you that there is a lot of formal crap that is all mostly show with our Monarchy, but I've always learned if you follow the money you can usually unearth most truths, Canada is a resource state and the majority of our wealth and power is extracted from this. A back track of deals and incidents regarding Crown holdings would probably unveil a lot.

The premise is that the CDN government and all 35-40 million of us would never use up all our resources to affect its long term value, thus the Queens and Crowns holdings are safe for the foreseeable future. I've been able to dig stuff up on the net on this from time to time, majority of the stuff I was exposed to was before the internet was a big thing and most was part of my Uncles vast library of 'random knowledge', The movies we're VHS and old dictaflim with those audio tapes (yikes).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada