HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 8:44 PM

Pictures of new apartments on Central and Highland

Pictures of new apartments on Central and Highland taken on July 11 2015. Note the generous use of limestone cladding, the use of rust/reddish paint highlights to mimic the color on the Landmark building to the north, and the non "flat" nature of the structure.

Last edited by sky51; Jul 11, 2015 at 8:46 PM. Reason: URL added incorrectly

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 10:28 PM

Tree and landscaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljm View Post
I'm a frequent viewer and seldom responder to this forum. I think Phoenix is a great city, and I love living here. However, I really wish it would take a few tips from other cities when it comes to shaded public areas, or public areas in general. I realize this is a desert city and water is scarce and expensive, but the lack of shade in such a hot city blows me away.

This project is an example of what I'm talking about. Yes, the structure provides some shade and adds some great aesthetic diversity, but that's about it. The trees are the size of small bushes, and the rest is rock and arid-friendly plants. Typical for a desert city, but it is not pedestrian friendly. Maybe it's just me, but I think some additional thought on shaded public areas in Phoenix is much needed. Thoughts?
I totally agree. I have posted on here in the past that Phoenix needs trees and needs to make an exception for downtown on the 2-3 drought resistant types of trees the city will plant down there. They need to lighten up on the drought resistant Nazi like stand they take and plant trees of all types to make it inviting to walk along with landscaping. Can we just have a drought resistant free zone where they plant all types of trees that make you feel cool just looking at them. And some water features like huge fountains and features that light up at night and cause people to gravitate to them. Make it a place conducive for people to go down there on a hot summer night and feel refreshed. I would make that special zone from Jefferson and Central all the way north to McDowell and Central and east and west from 7th st to 7th Ave including Margaret Hance Park. A long with these unique trees they could transplant full grown date palm trees and plant them any where where there is open space along sidewalks and street dividers even create street dividers for them so that when you look at this entire area from distance or the air it looks like a cool refreshing mirage in the desert.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 10:41 PM

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for the photo update! I've been craving to see what this area looks like with all this new construction! The feel of this area is a complete 180 from when I first walked its crumbling sidewalks summer of '09.

In the meantime, I do some searching on the backwebs through articles and facebook pages and come across tidbits of information. Take Monorchid for instance, a new coffee shop (in cohoots with Dressing Room) is open as well as a new decor/rare tree shop, the Bosque, and a resturaunt (no idea what the name is). Bike lanes on Roosevelt! I'm also really excited to see what becomes of the street-dubbed 'Mckinley Mile.' All successful urban cities I've seen have a smattering of districts with distinct vibes only blocks apart. Would be cool to see Mckinley start to attract more bars/breweries and Roosevelt Row the small, funky boutiques and coffee shops.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 5:27 AM

Funny thing about trees everyone...they grow over time! Difficult concept to grasp -I know! Especially when a city is as cash strapped as the PHX!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 6:12 AM

Cancer cntr and pbc garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
LOL; the attitude of the people with decision-making authority or faux-political influence (aka idiot business owners like Rainey) with regards to parking is, quite frankly, insane. I walked around downtown for the first time in forever - no real destination in mind, just walking... and, the continued catering to making parking as easy and convenient as possible kills what really is turning out to be a decent place. But, it's obvious that these people never experience downtown from outside of their car and their destination, and don't understand that having people park away from their restaurant and having to walk past stores and businesses along the way is actually beneficial. It's sad that the urban 'champions' of downtown can't grasp these simple concepts and continue to chip away at the positive impacts light rail and other non-auto investment has had. The fact that there is concrete research showing that there is a surplus of parking downtown AND a general attitude that parking is scarce should be a cue to SOMEONE that the focus should be on fixing/changing these attitudes through education, resources, etc. and not through additional parking expenditures. If they build a parking lot next to Roosevelt Row, what about the Chandler family who wants to go see a ball game? It's an endless game trying to turn downtown into a place where you can park adjacent to your destination - and, it's scary how that seems to be the ideal being sought.

Anyway, I can't believe people are bitching about The Oscar container project. Especially with the parking lots set to be paved all along 2nd Street, do you really think there is a high demand for better quality projects for that parcel? 4-story, single-use stucco boxes are being built all over the place on prime lots - I'll definitely take a funky, mixed use, live-work container project on what has been a set of abandoned foundations for 8 years. Lining 2nd Street with live-work/commercial infrastructure will make for a much better connection to Hance Park than another Barron POS.

Oh, and here are some updates though nobody will read them [since I posted the details about The Oscar and St. Ambrose 2 months ago]:

1. The former office building on McKinley/2nd-3rd Street has almost finished construction, or destruction in this case. It will house an arcade bar, Antique Sugar (opened already), and an architecture firm. It's cool to see something Antique Sugar open since so much of the retail in the area is F&B-focused. I don't quite understand why the developer bothered with the renovations they did - they stripped the buildings to its bones, which aren't anything impressive, and had it had to cost more than it would have to knock the building down and build something new? In this case, a new building built up to the street (instead of the surface lot facing McKinley) with these retail stores on the bottom, offices on the 2nd level, and 2-3 stories of lofts would have been cool. But, whatever - it's definitely a good addition and is an upgrade from what it once was.

A door for what I assume will be a patio fronting 2nd Street:

2. Probably way behind on this, but I was happy to see Angels Trumpet had installed some signage. Signage is definitely important in this area south of Roosevelt:

3. Is this a joke? This used to be an entrance to the building on 2nd Street/Garfield - tell me this is a joke? Either way, this building needs a new tenant who has a clue:

4. I'm all for mental hygiene, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the crisis center in the warehouse on 2nd Street/Garfield is moving. Roosevelt - Garfield is such a deadzone that separates Roosevelt from all the cool stuff going on near McKinley, so replacing tenants like this one with more active, public uses will really help connect the dots. A Buffalo Exchange would be great here:

5. The Velo is cool as shit, and it's too bad that all of the apartments aren't open yet because I can't see it lasting long enough to take advantage of more nearby residents:

6. The infamous Roosevelt streetscape. First time I've walked it during the day and it's pretty 50/50. A summer day exacerbates the issue of designing a road for 1 night of the month - the 20' sidewalks were barren, the potted 'trees' on the south side eat up half of the sidewalk and have no function or form, nor does the Shady Whatever at the 3rd St triangle... but, the area looks cleaner and more inviting, the crosswalk treatment is nice, and if there's no parallel parking buffer, then I'm glad 20' of sidewalk was there to buffer me from the speeding cars.

Not much to add about the triangle that hasn't been said. The structures offered no shade whatsoever, the landscaping is a joke, and there's nothing there to make people want to congregate (a directory maybe? art?). But, I was happy to have touched the seats and find that they don't absorb heat, which I was doubtful of from their looks. Still, I felt completely uncomfortable lingering there and exposed to so much traffic on every side. A wall of landscaping to buffer some of that would help a little bit, but ultimately, it feels like exactly what it is - a very temporary pedestrian refuge while crossing 3rd Street.

The other shade structures are a nice tough from a thematic standpoint, but I would have spent the money on benches or signage.

Carly's patio is nice; would be nice to see more make use of the wasted space.

7. I think DeSoto has gotten undeserved bad press. I don't know what people expected, but an urban food court is exactly what I pictured and I think it's pretty great that Phoenix has something like this downtown. Would I rather all of the interior establishments be spread along the actual street? Sure. But, that doesn't mean this place sucks. Yes, the price levels are unfortunate. Yes, it will be much better when the amenities like the butcher, florist, etc. are added. But, they had to start somewhere and anchor restaurants are a better bet then a no-name florist. The building and entire corner are gorgeous and I hope it lasts because it's one of the few examples of someone gambling on a big idea in Phoenix.

I just realized what a jerk I must have looked like taking this photo!!!

8. The future site of Sutra, though it doesn't look like they'e made much progress. I'm also doubtful that Lux is still planning to build on the lot adjacent to it... but, it would be really nice if they did.

9. The City RFP for the firehouse on 1st Street has closed, and was a bust from what I read. Will be interesting to see what's chosen... another project that would most definitely benefit from the completion of nearby residential projects, since right now, it is surrounded by dirt and hoards of homeless people.

10. This would make for a cool (MCM?) student housing or artist live/work housing, which means it will be probably be demo'd next month.

11. The owners of this home should be ashamed. Such a gorgeous house that has sat boarded up for so long. I don't know what it's best use would be, but even a restored SFH would be an improvement.

12. The Knipe House, soon to be engulfed by parking lots on both sides of 2nd Street and left to rot indefinitely. Thank GOD those developers who proposed housing for rickety old seniors never received funding - asphalt and abandoned buildings are much more urban than senior citizens and a brewery. /sarcasm

13. And, the future parking lots sponsored by MonOrchid.

14. Future home of The Oscar. EnHance also looked like it is about ready to break ground.

15. Barron is ready to break ground on Linear; they are waiting for the City to award them the fake RFP for construction + parking lots along 2nd Street.

16. Looks like MonOrchid is still trying to find a tenant. I bet if there was more PARKING nearby, this wouldn't be an issue.

17. So, about The Dressing Room? Phase 1 was supposed to open in May and Phase 2 in June... and, it looks abandoned. I'd be pissed if I contributed to the 35K they raised on Kickstarter for this. And, honestly, this stretch of Roosevelt is pretty lame and with Canvas being demo'd, it's going to get even more lame. A cool restaurant concept would have been a great addition.

18. The Wurth house is on stilts. Apparently, they are going to start a crowdfunding campaign to get it settled. Hope that's more fruitful than The Dressing Room's efforts. A nice, sit-down restaurant or music lounge or something would be cool... if it's another 'only open my doors 1 night a month' gallery, I... will just bitch about it?

19. The two buildings between the Wurth House and Bliss are for rent. The bungalow closer to Bliss has so much potential, and I'd love to see this entire stretch turn into a restaurant/nightlife cluster. Again, preemptive bitching about potential galleries opening instead. Also, the salon at Roosevelt Point hasn't opened...

20. Future rubble courtesy of the Phoenix Biomedical Sprawl.

21. I'll eat my hat since it looks like the PBC garage has indeed built commercial space on the ground level. If you squint, you can see the 3-4 glass doors that have been installed... I'm extremely surprised, and confused why that component was never mentioned in any of the press releases? While I'm glad it isn't a mono-use parking garage, it's still kind of annoying because there's 0% chance of these being leased. 1) It's surrounded by dirt and the butt of the AZ Center. 2) It doesn't even front an actual street (or does 4th cut through? IDR). 3) What could even possibly open in such shallow space, with no back of house area? A hat store? These will obviously sit vacant indefinitely and be used as an example of why retail in more sensible locations should be abandoned. WAAH.

22. I can't wait for more buildings like the Cancer Center to go up all along 4th-7th St, McKinley-Fillmore. A perfect example of how downtown is still being built for the car... it's actually a really nice looking building. But, it does absolutely nothing for the ground level or its surroundings. It has 3 blank faces, and the 4th just has the entrance. An entire corner is dedicated to a walked-in garden that is set behind a locked (yes I tried to get in) gate. Why are buildings being proposed for other lots when an entire city block was just wasted on a low-rise with an ENTIRE CORNER dedicated to a... safe zone for mesquite trees?

[/url]

23. Skyline is still one of my favorites architecturally. After walking past the filthy Roosevelt Point, it was nice to look up at its simplicity. Sad that at 8 stories, this is almost twice as tall as any residential project currently under construction. Also, the restaurant that was supposed to go on Fillmore doesn't look to be going anywhere...?

24. And, to end on a positive note, the project that can no wrong- Proxy 333. Can't wait to see 4th Street and McKinley lined with live-work spaces, and for another classy looking building to take attention away from RP. Really sucks that such a great project will be across the street from a future lowrise medical blob with an ASU logo at the crown of its HIGH RISE 4th floor.

More angles and such: https://www.flickr.com/gp/132035648@N03/nLT7F2
First ,thank you for taking the photos. As for the cancer center having a private garden. As a cancer patient, awaiting the results of my next scan in August, I sure as hell wouldn't want the public entering a private garden I might be walking around in while under treatment. It's bad enough to feel like shit without fending off some homeless character and his shopping cart. I am glad for the patients that will go there that this is private.
On the PBC garage .I wouldn't be so sure those storefronts will remain vacant as more and more employees and students head downtown both for the Bio Medical Campus and the ASU campus. By the way, I think that is a pretty sharp looking parking garage. To pretend people should be forced to walk in 120 degree heat is just silly.

Last edited by phoenixwillrise; Jul 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 9:15 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...ntry/29980737/

New stores coming to Town and Country

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU for the photo update! I've been craving to see what this area looks like with all this new construction! The feel of this area is a complete 180 from when I first walked its crumbling sidewalks summer of '09.

In the meantime, I do some searching on the backwebs through articles and facebook pages and come across tidbits of information. Take Monorchid for instance, a new coffee shop (in cohoots with Dressing Room) is open as well as a new decor/rare tree shop, the Bosque, and a resturaunt (no idea what the name is). Bike lanes on Roosevelt! I'm also really excited to see what becomes of the street-dubbed 'Mckinley Mile.' All successful urban cities I've seen have a smattering of districts with distinct vibes only blocks apart. Would be cool to see Mckinley start to attract more bars/breweries and Roosevelt Row the small, funky boutiques and coffee shops.
Yes, it's good to hear the Dressing Room is still planning to open and that Phase I already is (inside MonOrchid).

I think 'South Roosevelt Row' as was unofficially used previously would have been a little smarter; build off Roosevelt Row's momentum and recognition, while still creating its own identity. 'McKinley Mile' is starting from ground zero in terms of brand awareness, and that's kind of difficult when you consider how long it's taken a place like RRow to get established. But, it's all coming from a great place - a small business owner who understands the benefits of building a community, and who is taking steps to overcome the challenges facing the area (meeting with the city on signage, setting up local business meetings, etc.).

As exit2lef mentioned re: the substation on 2nd Street between Garfield and Roosevelt, there are a lot of obstacles blocking that area from connecting to Roosevelt. I'd like to see McKinley become more neighborhood-oriented (restaurants, live/work spaces, professional offices [dentists, doctors, etc.], and I still think a grocery store is more appropriate in a space like the Circles building than at Central Station), as opposed to the artist-focused Roosevelt, but it's really dependent on future developments fronting McKinley and for there to be at least some interest/demand for creative infill solutions to fill in some of the holes. For now, it'd be nice to see some of the tenants who aren't that great of a fit be replaced with ones that are more appropriate... I'm thinking of the west side of 1st Street between McKinley and Pierce, with two offices and a Pizza Hut across from 3, unique local restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise
First ,thank you for taking the photos. As for the cancer center having a private garden. As a cancer patient, awaiting the results of my next scan in August, I sure as hell wouldn't want the public entering a private garden I might be walking around in while under treatment. It's bad enough to feel like shit without fending off some homeless character and his shopping cart. I am glad for the patients that will go there that this is private.
I think having private space the patients of the Cancer Center is great; however, this is a Center being built in the heart of an urban area, and so creating such a private space should be thought of as a challenge, and its solution should be reflective of the fact that a gated and walled-off garden is not the best use of 1/4 of a city block. A cut-out within the upper floors, for example, would've been appropriate. If you're going to try and fabricate an urban setting, which is what Phoenix is attempting to do downtown because of all its vacant land, the goal should be in creating as much potential for community and interaction as possible.

This garden space was made out to be much more of a public space in the renderings- it could have been a place for yoga, exercising, and promoting health and wellness activities, for example. Instead, there is a 10-foot tall wall, which creates a fortress on all 4 sides, and another city block is being used for more related activities that could have been fit onto this site with better planning/design. The needs of the actual patients is obviously the most important goal of the building, but when those needs necessitate things that aren't necessarily conducive to an urban environment, the designers should think outside of the box. Otherwise, perhaps this wasn't the right location for such a space - and, with the amount of land available in central locations throughout Phoenix, there's nothing wrong with that. That's just my opinion, though... I just don't really 'get' the point of the PBC if it was never intended to be done in an urban fashion. There was plenty of space just outside the 7's or in Midtown if the sole goal was centrally-located jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise
On the PBC garage .I wouldn't be so sure those storefronts will remain vacant as more and more employees and students head downtown both for the Bio Medical Campus and the ASU campus. By the way, I think that is a pretty sharp looking parking garage. To pretend people should be forced to walk in 120 degree heat is just silly.
Why does it always have to be "force people to walk in 120 degrees" vs. "huge, monolithic parking structure adjacent to building" though...? Again, they chose to develop the PBC in an urban area. People driving to work in Phoenix is a given, so adequate parking is necessary, but I don't know when or why adequate parking has turned into a demand for the most convenient means of parking possible? If walking 1-2 blocks causes issues due to the climate, then the focus should be on shade and making the pedestrian realm more comfortable.

Regardless, the issue isn't the garage. It's that yet another large piece of a city block has been dedicated to storing cars, while there are multiple lowrises under construction nearby on more land - on an urban campus, one would expect the parking to be underground or at the very least, underneath the offices/classrooms/whatever. But, because they own that entire 1/4 of downtown, they haven't given thought to how the land is being used. And, that's a shame when private investment near 4th Street shows that - very likely - additional private investment would have spread onto adjacent lots if possible.

I don't see this area being heavily trafficked by pedestrians to support much on the ground level. Skyline's retail has been empty across the street since 2008, and those spaces at least have potential to be modified for restaurant use (which I don't believe these garage stalls can). I don't see why ASU students would ever use 4th/5th Street - the majority of classes are focused near Central - 3rd Street. All other residents, who have no affiliation to ASU or the PBC, will have absolutely no reason to ever walk east of 4th Street, as every single building within the PBC has been single-use until this one. Now, if some housing for PBC students/workers were incorporated, and the Arizona Center developed its parking lot, and future PBC buildings included related retail, then it would all start making sense. I'm glad they've built it so that this potential exists - but, I think it will be a while, and will take quite a few things to happen, for them to be filled.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post

Why does it always have to be "force people to walk in 120 degrees" vs. "huge, monolithic parking structure adjacent to building" though...? Again, they chose to develop the PBC in an urban area. People driving to work in Phoenix is a given, so adequate parking is necessary, but I don't know when or why adequate parking has turned into a demand for the most convenient means of parking possible? If walking 1-2 blocks causes issues due to the climate, then the focus should be on shade and making the pedestrian realm more comfortable.
Agreed. Too often, arguments are made based on false dichotomies. It's not that parking is intrinsically evil and that people should be forced to walk long distances in hot weather, it's more a question of creating more on-street parking, doing a better job of sharing the surplus of parking that already exists, and building better pedestrian connections so that a walk of a few blocks between a destination and parking or transit is less onerous.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 5:32 PM

Parking garages

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Agreed. Too often, arguments are made based on false dichotomies. It's not that parking is intrinsically evil and that people should be forced to walk long distances in hot weather, it's more a question of creating more on-street parking, doing a better job of sharing the surplus of parking that already exists, and building better pedestrian connections so that a walk of a few blocks between a destination and parking or transit is less onerous.
It's still 120% degree out there no matter how you candy coat it. I walk around downtown San Francisco and Seattle both vibrant downtowns and I see plenty of parking garages. I must say the ones that have been built in downtown Phoenix in recent years are much more appealing to the eye than the gray monsters I see in San Francisco and Seattle. Ya all need to get out and about more and see more cities so we can end this constant rant against parking garages. Just sayin.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
It's still 120% degree out there no matter how you candy coat it. I walk around downtown San Francisco and Seattle both vibrant downtowns and I see plenty of parking garages. I must say the ones that have been built in downtown Phoenix in recent years are much more appealing to the eye than the gray monsters I see in San Francisco and Seattle. Ya all need to get out and about more and see more cities so we can end this constant rant against parking garages. Just sayin.
Ive walked blocks on Manhattan with non street engagement. I think its kind of ridiculous to act like its the end of the world every time there is 200 feet of blank wall along a sidewalk.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 9:40 PM

Linear / Iluminate

Have a copy of the plans for both linear and iluminate. local architect CCBG did the design work (they are a local firm with an office downtown).

They look nice. The are both 5 stories tall with basement and 1st floor garages. Autos enter from the alleys. First floor is wrapped with apartments (with doors and patios off the street (along 3rd street for both projects) and with gyms, club house, rental office and lobby along roosevelt. No dead spaces!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
Have a copy of the plans for both linear and iluminate. local architect CCBG did the design work (they are a local firm with an office downtown).

They look nice. The are both 5 stories tall with basement and 1st floor garages. Autos enter from the alleys. First floor is wrapped with apartments (with doors and patios off the street (along 3rd street for both projects) and with gyms, club house, rental office and lobby along roosevelt. No dead spaces!
Can you post them? Even a cell phone pic...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Just a guess that in both of those cities there's a lot of older buildings that were built at a time when parking garages were more the norm. They are not currently in style, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Ive walked blocks on Manhattan with non street engagement. I think its kind of ridiculous to act like its the end of the world every time there is 200 feet of blank wall along a sidewalk.
Of course it's not the end of the world. The question is why do it or why allow it?

I'm not interested in dragging out numbers but I can't think of the last parking garage that was built in Denver and there has been a ton of new construction. I respect that that Phoenix is NOT Denver nor need aspire to be like it. But good urban form is good urban form.

There may be some parking that has been built on an interior side of a building that doesn't come to mind but the vast majority of parking is put underneath of new buildings. For full (or nearly) full block construction of apartments they wrap around the parking if it's not underneath. They may not activate the sidewalk but they do present a nice attractive edge for the most part.

I should note that Denver is able to build with no more than 1.5 parking spaces per 1,000 SF of office space; so far it has not been a problem. It hasn't prevented this year's groundbreaking of a 22-story and more recently a 40-story new office buildings. With apartments that are not in or near downtown that parking ratio may be higher; I'd have to double check.

I either fully agree with the points that Jjs5056 makes or I agree in principle if not in detail.

EDIT: Oops, didn't take me long to recall that Novare Group is building one of their SkyHouse series in Denver. It's a 26-story apartment with a separate parking garage on the Lincoln Street side of the site. Fortunately that site accommodates that arrangement fairly well although there were no shortage of complaints on the blog.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jul 15, 2015 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I have been to plenty of cities; I grew up in NYC and have been to San Fran, Chicago, etc. multiple times. Nobody is claiming that these cities don't have garages. I don't know how you can come to that conclusion from what I said. What I said is that the priority of designing an urban environment (which Phoenix is doing - they razed land downtown for the sole purpose of creating an urban campus) should not be on reducing the amount of effort needed to get to one's destination from designated parking areas.

When I go out in NYC, I drive around for blocks until I find a street spot and walk up to .5 miles to get where I need to go; the few times I have splurged on a parking garage, not one has been adjacent to my final point of destination. The focus should be on making the surplus of parking throughout downtown known and creating a more pedestrian environment so that it becomes more second-nature to walk a bit to get where you need to go, pass new stores and businesses, get people on the street, etc. This is the urban vibe the City has said it is trying to create - these aren't just my own philosophical thoughts.

Comparisons to larger cities never hold water. If you really think Phoenix and Manhattan are comparable because there are garages throughout the latter, you're missing the entire point. Look at the block where 44Monroe is - the parking garage is almost seamless. That's how 99% of NYC garages are. 42nd St - 43rd St isn't an entire wall of garage like multiple downtown Phoenix blocks are. And, if you think that will create a great city, then sorry - read something.

I'm sick of having to defend the desire for a parking structure to be incorporated into existing development. This isn't a radical idea. The city's own Urban Form guidelines specify requirements for garages. Nobody is saying parking structures shouldn't exist. I'm saying they should be better-integrated. And, I didn't even complain about the PBC garage, regardless. Could it have been better? Sure. But, my complaints are more disappointment at what's across the street at Arizona Center since it looks like they're actually creating a nice pedestrian plaza outside the PBC garage retail.

Quote:
Where? I have never been down a block that was lined with garage ramps and service entrances. And, even if you can name 1 or 2, look at the 500+ others that are done right, so who cares?

It's not the end of the world. It's a waste of potential to build off the positive momentum happening on other streets. But, regardless, I haven't even criticized a specific parking structure, but as usual, everyone just jumps down my throat.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post

I liked the look of both when I saw renderings... and, I think the one where the Scientology building was will be just fine. But, I do wish that Linear had incorporated a small amount of retail along both 3rd Street and Roosevelt. The south side of Roosevelt is really lacking any retail/restaurant spaces, so a small restaurant would have been nice to balance it out. And, with the cool places springing up on 3rd between Garfield and McKinley, it would've been a good connection if there were maybe live/work spaces there?

Neither are terrible, and the architecture will be a nice distraction from Roosevelt Point. I didn't know about the alley entrances for parking - that's good to hear. Still pretty (pleasantly) surprised at just how many proposals turned into real development this time around.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Can you post them? Even a cell phone pic...

i will try. garfield side of linear has apartments on 1st floor as well.

retail would have been nice along roosevelt. hopefully what gets built where paz is will have some.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 3:54 AM

"Phoenix bioscience IPO on the horizon, with plans to hire 200"
Jul 15, 2015 by Angela Gonzales, Phoenix Business Journal
Quote:
VisionGate Inc., the Phoenix-based developer of a 3D cell microscope to detect lung cancer at its earliest stages, is quietly making moves to go public.

"We're not like a biotech," Nelson said... But the fact is we've eliminated all of our major risks. The technology is built, it's been developed and it works. We have published clinical data."
That's an interesting article and company. I'm fascinated by some of the organically growing companies in metro Phoenix. Honestly, I just don't find the same organic growth in metro Denver.

If "money is the mother's milk of politics" then successful organic growth of local companies is the mother's milk for urban development, ultimately.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 9:55 PM

Can I just say... it's a total bummer that a project called "Elevation" is only 5 or so stories tall? Laaaaame!

Or has somebody beat me to that punchline?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 10:03 PM

I also want to add. What in Gawd's name have they done with Roosevelt??! We widened the sidewalk just to add gargantuan flower pots? And those shade structures...

They turned it into a frickin' Super Mario Brothers Game!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 10:30 PM

Does anyone think those shade structures are what the "cloud" will look like going over central at Hance Park if they ever build it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest