HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 2:51 AM

Harlingen is pretty far down there. Neat to see what a run-of-the-mill small/medium place looks like in Texas.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 2:22 PM
Meh

Great thread. Easily the best Harlingen thread ever. I'd like to visit that whole area someday.

What body of water is this?

Man, this looks my street here. I seriously had to do a double take for a second there. haha

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 6:08 PM
robert die katze

Thanks, Kevin!

That body of water is Lake Harlingen, or "City Lake" as locals call it.

It's just north of downtown, and right across the street from the public library. The lake is surrounded by trails which get bustling with walkers and joggers in the evening hours.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 9:17 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

I really need to get down there soon.
How is the pedestrian traffic down there?
It's deffinately starting to pick up in DT McAllen.
I'm thinking of moving to Harlingen, but it may be tough being a student at UTPA.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 9:20 PM
Motor City Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Harlingen is pretty far down there. Neat to see what a run-of-the-mill small/medium place looks like in Texas.
HAHAHAHA
The Valley is in Texas???!!! WHAT?
KIDDING
Anyway, the Rio Grande Valley is more like a stuck in the middle region, half Texas, half Northern Mexico, it's quite interesting actually. I mean it's much different than where I'm from originally. (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada)
If you want Texas, look at something north of Corpus. The valley is deffinately much different, and not in abad way.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 9:31 PM
robert die katze

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthepoint13 View Post
I really need to get down there soon.
How is the pedestrian traffic down there?
It's deffinately starting to pick up in DT McAllen.
I'm thinking of moving to Harlingen, but it may be tough being a student at UTPA.
Pedestrian traffic has been picking up in downtown Harlingen, and it's not the Casa de Empeno or Joy Dollar variety. Lately, more restaurants have been opening in downtown, along with more art galleries and an event center, and if the Heritage Manor and Blaschka Tower projects pull through, traffic will increase significantly.

This is an excerpt from an article in the Valley Morning Star:
Quote:
City officials say the rebirth is part of plans to develop nine blocks of Jackson Avenue between 4th and F streets into a family-friendly retail and entertainment destination within the next two years.
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/art...wn_avenue.html

Right now, I live in Austin, and have been since 2004, so I don't get to Harlingen often. I think OhGreatOne currently lives in Harlingen, so maybe he/she has more insight.

Last edited by OfCourse; Apr 28, 2009 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 12:54 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Fantastic thread. Texas is one of my favorite states.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 1:22 AM

Fantastic thread, OfCourse. Feel free to come back really soon. For those of you interested, try [URL="http://www.valleymorningstar.com"]. This is the online edition of Harlingen's daily newspaper. One thing you might have missed: on the first Saturday each month, the businesses along a two-block stretch of Jackson Street in historic downtown hold "Jackson Street Days". A two-block section of Jackson Street (usually a two-lane, one-way street westbound) is closed to traffic. Businesses bring out their wares, setting up in the middle of the street. Food venders are scattered throughout. Often, live music is performed. It's one of those little things that makes Harlingen a little special. OfCourse really did Harlingen proud with this thread. Mil gracias (a thousand thanks).

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 10:56 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthepoint13 View Post
If you want Texas, look at something north of Corpus. The valley is deffinately much different, and not in abad way.
But you're implying there's something wrong with "south of Corpus." It's different, yes, but every region of Texas is different from the other. The Valley is indeed more like Mexico, at least culturally. East TX is just like the Deep South culturally and topographically, Central TX is unique. West TX is the true southwest.

Similar differences exist in most states in the country. So I'm not sure I understand your point.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2009, 3:22 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
But you're implying there's something wrong with "south of Corpus." It's different, yes, but every region of Texas is different from the other. The Valley is indeed more like Mexico, at least culturally. East TX is just like the Deep South culturally and topographically, Central TX is unique. West TX is the true southwest.

Similar differences exist in most states in the country. So I'm not sure I understand your point.
I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that it was a bad thing, matter of fact I live in the valley and love it. It's my favourite part of the state. And you're right, that is part of what makes this state so great: the amazing amount of diversity.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 11:41 AM

This House

Hello. My first post here. I'm writing the biography of the Texan born actress Fran Fullenwider (1945-1997). The house pictured was her childhood home and the address was 1, Beckham Road, Harlingen, Texas. Can anyone tell me if this house is still standing and if not when and why was it demolished.

Last edited by Marcus Heslop; Feb 4, 2024 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Picture didn't upload

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGreatOne View Post
That Iwo Jima monument is on the grounds of the Marine Military Academy (one of only two Marine Military Academies in the U. S.). This was the original from which the more famous one at Arlington National Cemetary was made.
Very interesting, the Arlington one is so iconic in its location, is this one easily visible to a lot of traffic?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Heslop View Post
Hello. My first post here. I'm writing the biography of the Texan born actress Fran Fullenwider (1945-1997). The house pictured was her childhood home and the address was 1, Beckham Road, Harlingen, Texas. Can anyone tell me if this house is still standing and if not when and why was it demolished.

I looked on Streetview and I just see a lot of palm trees around there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos