HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Lincoln Yards sits between two of the most in demand and restrictive housing neighborhoods in the city. It's a great place for high density housing I think.
Exactly... and seems like a no brainer to create a better pedestrian/cyclist experience for residents of bucktown/wicker crossing over the river to LP/the lake AND residents of lincoln park to the "cooler" restaurants/bars/music venues in logan, wicker, & bucktown. As of now, the highway and industrial/big box sites establish a barrier that lead many to uber. BRT on Armitage would also be huge.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Exactly... and seems like a no brainer to create a better pedestrian/cyclist experience for residents of bucktown/wicker crossing over the river to LP/the lake AND residents of lincoln park to the "cooler" restaurants/bars/music venues in logan, wicker, & bucktown. As of now, the highway and industrial/big box sites establish a barrier that lead many to uber. BRT on Armitage would also be huge.
Yes the residents of Lincoln park and bucktown are positively clamoring to take the bus.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:49 AM

Quote:
As someone who lives in Logan Sq., I cannot emphasize how true this is. I call the industrial/Kennedy/River zone the "38th Parallel" because it really feels like a border crossing lol.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Yes the residents of Lincoln park and bucktown are positively clamoring to take the bus.
What does this even mean? Tons of people in these neighborhoods take the bus. People were fighting for Ashland BRT not long ago. Currently, the Ashland #9 bus goes through both neighborhoods and has top-5 highest ridership in the entire system. I'm sure the 20,000 Depaul students in Lincoln Park would like better bus service, too.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
What does this even mean? Tons of people in these neighborhoods take the bus. People were fighting for Ashland BRT not long ago. Currently, the Ashland #9 bus goes through both neighborhoods and has top-5 highest ridership in the entire system. I'm sure the 20,000 Depaul students in Lincoln Park would like better bus service, too.
it's the gilded class! LOL

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
If it's clean, reliable, moves faster than traffic (BRT), and costs $2.50 vs. a $10-18 uber, I don't see why not. You'd be surprised how cost-conscious people who live in $2M houses are, not to mention the thousands of "regular" people who live in those neighborhoods

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 6:19 PM

Quote:
If it's clean, reliable, moves faster than traffic (BRT), and costs $2.50 vs. a $10-18 uber, I don't see why not. You'd be surprised how cost-conscious people who live in $2M houses are, not to mention the thousands of "regular" people who live in those neighborhoods
Exactly. These may be prototypical NIMBY neighborhoods but there's still a ton of historic high-density areas in both and I know loads of yuppie coworkers who commute from LP in to the loop either via #156 or #22. If anything I'd say my coworkers who live downtown are less used to riding the bus since they stick to walking or the El.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
Exactly. These may be prototypical NIMBY neighborhoods but there's still a ton of historic high-density areas in both and I know loads of yuppie coworkers who commute from LP in to the loop either via #156 or #22. If anything I'd say my coworkers who live downtown are less used to riding the bus since they stick to walking or the El.
I commute by train and my wife commutes by bus. We live in a multi million dollar house in Bucktown. I don't know if these are NIMBY neighborhoods so much as single family neighborhoods. We have high density along all commercial streets and low density on the residential streets that have been low density residential for the last 100+ years.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
The neighborhood pushback on armitage BRT would be like nothing you've ever seen.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 5:33 AM

Quote:
I had an apartment in Lincoln Park two years ago for $860 a month. LP is more socio-economically diverse than you might realize, and I know plenty of well-off people who regularly commute by bus too. Truly some bizarrely misplaced sarcasm on your part,

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 3:33 PM

Quote:
The neighborhood pushback on armitage BRT would be like nothing you've ever seen.
I don't think Armitage is good for BRT. It's got to be one of the arteries with 2 lanes of traffic + parking today. Then one of the lanes becomes BRT. So this would be North Ave, Fullerton, or Irving Park on the north side.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 5:00 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
I don't think Armitage is good for BRT. It's got to be one of the arteries with 2 lanes of traffic + parking today. Then one of the lanes becomes BRT. So this would be North Ave, Fullerton, or Irving Park on the north side.
Or, dare I say, take away the parking… though might be impossible with the parking meter deal. Would love for the city to find a way around that if so because that would be a huge roadblock.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
I threw Armitage out there because it slices through the LY site where all of this future density is planned, although the funky detour to Cortland to cross the river would ideally need to be addressed. Should the city find a way around the parking meter fiasco, using the parking spaces as BRT seems like the best bet here.

As much as I'd love North Ave BRT, it's managed by IDOT so unfortunately not realistic.

For the context of this discussion, Fullerton is a bit far from LY to entice ridership from future residents, and the majority of Bucktown residents would need to cross under the Kennedy to access anyways, which brings us back to the barrier issue. But agreed it should be implemented anyways to better connect LP and Logan Square.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Lincoln Park might be the most transit-served neighborhood in the city. To say the residents are anti-transit or anti-development is pretty silly.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
Lincoln Park might be the most transit-served neighborhood in the city. To say the residents are anti-transit or anti-development is pretty silly.
The residents enjoy the development they have now, but their is a public freak-out any time something new is proposed.
Neighbors sued to block Lincoln Common and absolutely melted down when that two-story Walgreens was built on Armitage (which is a major commercial/retail corridor).

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
The residents enjoy the development they have now, but their is a public freak-out any time something new is proposed.
Neighbors sued to block Lincoln Common and absolutely melted down when that two-story Walgreens was built on Armitage (which is a major commercial/retail corridor).
yet both were built.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
there will always be crazies in any neighborhood regarding any topic or change. for example....

one homeowner down the street from me in bucktown tried to rally the neighborhood residents around the idea that the two residential lots next to her house should be a new public park. she got coverage in blockclubchicago and had designs made for the public park on her own dime. she put flyers around the neighborhood saying that new houses being built on a residential street full of houses was somehow over development.

in time she gave up. the lots are still vacant and owned by a home builder.

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:
I know very few people who take the bus, whether that's social contacts, professional contacts, or family. I'm 95% bus/train/Divvy/walking and reserve Uber/Lyft/taxi for rare occasions, but I'm very much in the minority (if not the sole person) among my acquaintances in that regard. Anecdotal, surely, but so are the other accounts from other posters here.

The last data I've seen, Chicago car use is higher than NYC, Philly, and (I think) Boston, and my impression (another anecdote) is that it's only climbed higher since the onset of the pandemic (from the ambient traffic seen everywhere).

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 9:52 PM

Chicago is huge and vastly underserved by reliable transit so it makes sense we drive more than people in comparatively tiny cities Philly/Boston, and NYC’s sprawling subway system makes it MORE convenient than driving many times. If I want to go from my house to my girlfriends parents in Norwood Park right now, it would take nearly twice as long on the CTA (over an hour) than it would to drive or bike (both 35ish minutes). Unless the trip is to/from the direction of downtown, it’s painfully slow on transit.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 5:50 PM

People who think Lincoln Park has no demand for public buses are all wrong. There are thousands of people using public buses in the area, and not only Lincoln Park but the entire north Chicago (buses connect and cross different neighborhoods so you cannot judge this for 1 specific neighborhood, although as I mentioned, there are still thousands of people using public transport inside Lincoln Park).

Lincoln Park is not only populated by millionaires with penthouses and single 3 floor town houses in front of the park, there are several middle class professionals, students, people that rent since they cannot afford to buy something themselves, etcetera, that live in apartments, duplexes and what not. In the east side you also find a lot of people traveling to the park from outside the neighborhood, and not to forget, the western section of Lincoln Park close to the Clybourne Corridor is very far from upscale. Is crazy how you are misjudging the entire neighborhood.

I know there will always have the typical NIMBYs that will oppose public transport, but as usual, this will be a minority. People in this forum making the argument there are no riders for public transport inside Lincoln Park are just being ignorant and making the argument fit the usual nonsense from NYMBYs.

I live in the area and I am a witness of people using public transport, being a bus and CTA user myself, so please stop misjudging the area and using this stupid stereotypes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development