HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Nice find on the winter wonderland photo. Looks like the'll be covering the blank wall with glass paneling.
Um, are you talking about the glass podium of 500 LSD, across the street?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:16 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Um, are you talking about the glass podium of 500 LSD, across the street?
Related should be ashamed of that garage turd it built across the street. Totally ruins that otherwise beautiful winter scene.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 2:25 PM

Oops. My bad haha

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 3:30 PM
BANNED

A link to the tallest Bennet one tower crane.

Took by one of my friends.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I would say you need a Facebook account to view it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Last edited by bnk; Jan 29, 2018 at 3:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 4:02 PM

Last edited by jc5680; Jan 29, 2018 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 4:13 PM
BANNED

Above.

Thank you so much.
I may rely on both of you for a while to fix my links that confound me so much at this moment.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:14 PM

Thanks for sharing. Vista looks especially slender from way up there.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 5:38 PM

Kind of cool how you can see the water variation from river and lake when locks not being used often!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:30 PM

New rendering shows that there's no bronze colored details on the rest of the building:

Compared to this:

Last edited by vandelay; Jan 29, 2018 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
New rendering shows that there's no bronze colored details on the rest of the building:
Dude...fuck Related.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:04 PM
The City

Those bastards!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:51 PM

^For those of you confused by the geometric differences in the two renderings, the one on the bottom is actually mirrored and is a view of the south facade, while the one on top is the north facade.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:26 PM

i love how the residents will be looking right down into the hole for the spire

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:29 PM
Development Shill

Bummer, but not unexpected as none of the tower had any bronze up at this point despite most renderings implying there was supposed to be bronze cladding. This building isn't ugly, but it's definitely lame that a place that will cost as much to live in and be as prominent as it will be in Streeterville got VE'd so hard. Related better not be cheapos with the Spire site. Who am I kidding of course they will be

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 9:16 PM

I'll withhold judgment until it's completed

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 9:46 PM

Shocked, I'm just shocked...

Oh wait, this has literally been the conversation since the day this design surfaced. Here's a quote of mine from like the 4th page of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Completely ridiculous. The beef with this design has NOTHING to do with economics. The fact is this design is going to be precast trash. You know it. I know it. We all know it. That is the only economic function here. As such, we can deduce that building in this style is NEVER a good idea. We are not getting a 15 CPW here period, for the very same economic reason you listed. What I expect is for developers from other cities not to come here and drop a heaping load of shit in our city and set it ablaze. Everyone knows this design is just going to turn out like another Elysian with classy materials like corrugated tin apparently salvaged from a slum in Haiti and what essentially amounts to freeway retaining wall components for a curtain wall.

The richest part of this whole design is that this is what Related thinks is "stepping up their design game" or whatever ridiculous quote we saw a while back was. How such culturally vapid people rise to the top of massive companies like Related is completely beyond me. What they think they are building is a 1926 Dusenburg, what they are really building is a 1996 Caddilac Deville, and what we are debating over is whether we want our shitty mid 90's GM product to come with a false fabric top or just hardshell.
Seriously, they didn't even buck up for corrugated warehouse siding like Elysian, they even VE'd the paint job out of this design. Are we all still surprised that Related is a garbage developer who doesn't give a shit what a deuce they drop out of their ass here? Exhibit A as to why we should permanently ban ye olde classical horseshit as a style and Related as a developer from this city.

Oh and they are putting up the "real stone" on the base and it only goes up two floors and is a horrible mismatch tone compared to the concrete above it. Not. Fooling. Anyone.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:01 PM

Perfect example of bait and switch. What a shame. What Stern's throwback towers lack is the detail. At first glance you might think it's stone but if you look at it for more than 10 seconds it's flat precast concrete. The flatness of it is what really detracts Stern's works from being outstanding. There's no decorative flairs on the facade. It's all in the silhouette. The silhouettes are great, but the facade is dull.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
How such culturally vapid people rise to the top of massive companies like Related is completely beyond me. What they think they are building is a 1926 Dusenburg, what they are really building is a 1996 Caddilac Deville, and what we are debating over is whether we want our shitty mid 90's GM product to come with a false fabric top or just hardshell.
as long as a seemingly endless supply of rich idiots continue to pay top dollar for this garbage nothing will change. those who VE the design left and right will rise to the top because they are extracting maximum profit at the lowest expense.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:10 PM

From an article published today in ChicagoMag:

“[One Bennett Park] is our signature development and will be for the foreseeable future,” Bailey says. “It’s a building that will mark the eastern edge of the Chicago skyline in perpetuity.”

Those bolded words, emphasis mine, don't inspire confidence in the height of whatever Related plans for the Spire site. If Bennett Park is to mark the eastern edge "in perpetuity," then let's just give up our dreams of a giant development at 400 N LSD.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
From an article published today in ChicagoMag:

“[One Bennett Park] is our signature development and will be for the foreseeable future,” Bailey says. “It’s a building that will mark the eastern edge of the Chicago skyline in perpetuity.”

Those bolded words, emphasis mine, don't inspire confidence in the height of whatever Related plans for the Spire site. If Bennett Park is to mark the eastern edge "in perpetuity," then let's just give up our dreams of a giant development at 400 N LSD.
Lets hope there just trying to over emphasize bennet park for the sake of the article... It would be the biggest disappointment if the Spire site is anything less than 1000ft

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive