HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 10:36 PM

True North revealed a section of club seats that will be constructed this off season and will be the most expensive seats at Canada Life Centre. A block of 4 seats will cost 108K or 27K per season - approx. 3 -4 times more expensive than the current most expensive seats. These seats will include all events at the arena, including concerts. Food and drinks will be included.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/winnip...fan-experience

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 11:02 PM

$27,000 a pop... x4... to watch the Jets. The mind boggles.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
True North revealed a section of club seats that will be constructed this off season and will be the most expensive seats at Canada Life Centre. A block of 4 seats will cost 108K or 27K per season - approx. 3 -4 times more expensive than the current most expensive seats. These seats will include all events at the arena, including concerts. Food and drinks will be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Trying to make up revenue shortfalls for an arena that's a little on the small side

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Trying to make up revenue shortfalls for an arena that's a little on the small side
I don't think arena size really has anything to do with the desire of NHL owners to maximize revenue...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:17 PM
arf

Quote:

Are they driving me to and from the game and massaging my feet while I'm at the game? Maybe a haircut and shave in between periods while someone shovels the snow at my house? I'm sure there's some package of options that is worth $650 a game.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:

How many seats will the new thing be in total? I only see richardsons and maybe Buehlers aspers and Chipman Birchwood buddies who can afford it

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
How many seats will the new thing be in total? I only see richardsons and maybe Buehlers aspers and Chipman Birchwood buddies who can afford it
I would imagine that the cohort of people in Winnipeg who are willing and able to drop that kind of cash on the Jets is exceedingly small. You've probably covered half the list right there. But I guess someone has told TNSE that they'll take it, because otherwise they wouldn't be building it.

I have to say, as someone weaned on the Jets at the proletarian old Winnipeg Arena, it is weird to see this element of NHL hockey as super elite, exclusive country club institution for the rich. I mean, there were always posh seats even at the old barn, but nothing remotely like this. There is no way that the entertainment you get at a Jets game is worth $1300 for a pair of seats unless maybe it's a Stanley Cup final scenario. So the thought that someone will be spending that much cash to watch some totally forgettable, boring game against the Coyotes is mind boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Are they driving me to and from the game and massaging my feet while I'm at the game? Maybe a haircut and shave in between periods while someone shovels the snow at my house? I'm sure there's some package of options that is worth $650 a game.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:49 PM

Quote:
I would imagine that the cohort of people in Winnipeg who are willing and able to drop that kind of cash on the Jets is exceedingly small. You've probably covered half the list right there. But I guess someone has told TNSE that they'll take it, because otherwise they wouldn't be building it.

I have to say, as someone weaned on the Jets at the proletarian old Winnipeg Arena, it is weird to see this element of NHL hockey as super elite, exclusive country club institution for the rich. I mean, there were always posh seats even at the old barn, but nothing remotely like this. There is no way that the entertainment you get at a Jets game is worth $1300 for a pair of seats unless maybe it's a Stanley Cup final scenario. So the thought that someone will be spending that much cash to watch some totally forgettable, boring game against the Coyotes is mind boggling.

Its very disappointing and the big 4 leagues are really leaving the common fan out of being able to attend many events now and increasingly so.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Its very disappointing and the big 4 leagues are really leaving the common fan out of being able to attend many events now and increasingly so.
I will say, Jets tickets were never more accessible than they were this past year. I routinely saw tickets on the resale market for under $50, and surprisingly often for under $30. It bottomed out at around $22 a pop for some games. Obviously you have to be OK with the upper deck and then dealing with $13 beers once you're inside, but the ticket prices themselves were quite low.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 5:10 PM

I agree, the NHL has really lost its way. To think that the Ottawa Senators, a lower mid-market franchise with $200 million in debt and attendance issues (though that's improving) could go for $1Billion is mind boggling. It's impossible to make your money back as a business. The only way to make money is to sell the team for a higher price years down the road.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 5:14 PM

Quote:
I agree, the NHL has really lost its way. To think that the Ottawa Senators, a lower mid-market franchise with $200 million in debt and attendance issues (though that's improving) could go for $1Billion is mind boggling. It's impossible to make your money back as a business. The only way to make money is to sell the team for a higher price years down the road.
Just like our real estate market.

I guess it's ego driven but the growth in TV revenue is the real key to value and doesn't show any signs of abating.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 5:28 PM

Quote:
I will say, Jets tickets were never more accessible than they were this past year. I routinely saw tickets on the resale market for under $50, and surprisingly often for under $30. It bottomed out at around $22 a pop for some games. Obviously you have to be OK with the upper deck and then dealing with $13 beers once you're inside, but the ticket prices themselves were quite low.
That's the thing right there though. The cheap seats are available. How available are the expensive seats? Sure you will always get the season ticket holders trying to sell off games that they don't want to go to, but the point is, those seats are sold to someone. Doesn't matter to the Jets how available they are on the resale sites as they got their money. Same will happen with these new seats too. They will 100% sell out and then you will see less desirable dates come up on resale. Plus, the post above says that price includes all events, not just Jets. So that provides a lot of extra value as well, if true.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Looks like 88 seats in total. It is expensive, but it is supposedly including all events at the arena (Moose, Seabears, concerts, other one-off sports events?) parking passes, food and drink (I would hope this includes all alcohol given what you would be spending)).

I would think they did their research beforehand to see how many people would be interested in purchasing these seats before construction actually began.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 5:17 AM

Quote:

I'm so confused by your post in relation to the article. Where are you getting these price points from? Where are you guys seeing 88 seats being constructed? This article doesn't point to any of these scenarios. Even when you google it nothing comes up. how did you guys jump to this conclusion? All i see here is for a $500 upgrade to existing premium seats, you get the stated benefits. How you guys got true north is constructing 88 seats that will cost you 27k a pop is so confusing.

Quote:
New for 2023-24 will be the Scotia Wealth Management Premium Club and the Scotia Wealth Management Event Level.
I'm Assuming Scotiabank bought the rights to the Budweiser king club??? and the new space at event level? Or is the Scotia Wealth Management Premium Club a new space? these "new seats" are at center ice I'm assuming but where is this new club space if they aren't just renaming Budweiser king club?

Quote:
"Premium Members will enjoy exclusive access to this space, an elevated guest experience and enhanced food and beverage offerings," a write-up on the Jets' season tickets page reads.

Premium season ticket membership will now include 25 percent off in-arena 'Fan Favourite' food and beverage purchases, 20 percent off Jets Gear and True North Shop purchases, a season ticket member gift, access to member-only exclusive events, priority ticket access, ticket savings, exclusive playoff pre-sale access and AHLTV access for Manitoba Moose road games.

Costs for premium season ticket packages range from $9,323.00 to $9,628.00.

Last edited by Oilkountry; Jun 3, 2023 at 8:43 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
I'm so confused by your post in relation to the article. Where are you getting these price points from? Where are you guys seeing 88 seats being constructed? This article doesn't point to any of these scenarios. Even when you google it nothing comes up. how did you guys jump to this conclusion? All i see here is for a $500 upgrade to existing premium seats, you get the stated benefits. How you guys got true north is constructing 88 seats that will cost you 27k a pop is so confusing.

I'm Assuming Scotiabank bought the rights to the Budweiser king club??? and the new space at event level? Or is the Scotia Wealth Management Premium Club a new space? these "new seats" are at center ice I'm assuming but where is this new club space if they aren't just renaming Budweiser king club?

Over on the Jets board at the HfBoards in the MTS Upgrades thread Post #193 a poster has a picture of the layout of the new premium seats. There are 88 seats by my count. The premium club is above the Budweiser Club so it's its own separate club and on the suite level. With a 3-year commitment it 108K per season for a block of 4 seats - that's not in the article I posted, but some posters there have received an email from TrueNorth about the prices...and also a poster on the Winnipeg board here had info on the prices about a month ago.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2023, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Over on the Jets board at the HfBoards in the MTS Upgrades thread Post #193 a poster has a picture of the layout of the new premium seats. There are 88 seats by my count. The premium club is above the Budweiser Club so it's its own separate club and on the suite level. With a 3-year commitment it 108K per season for a block of 4 seats - that's not in the article I posted, but some posters there have received an email from TrueNorth about the prices...and also a poster on the Winnipeg board here had info on the prices about a month ago.
So essentially they are cannibalizing some suites to make the "premium suite lounge" fair enough. CLC lacks club spaces like this and they must have noticed some softness on the suite market and decided to take action. New buildings are building with less suites in favor of these loge/lounge type spaces so this doesn't overly surprise me. But that still leaves the question of where is Scotia Wealth Management Premium Club gonna be? One has to assume this is a renovated and renamed Budweiser king club.

I still feel as though true north missed an opportunity to move the dressing room and give club members a chance to watch them walk out of the dressing room from event level.

Anyway for anyone wondering here is the photos of the new lounge. Might be my imagination but it looks like they might be adding an LED board to it.

Last edited by Oilkountry; Jun 4, 2023 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 1:32 PM
Community Guy

How does the Calgary deal compare?

https://flamesnation.ca/news/how-doe...l-market-deals

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:27 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
That article pretends Danielle Smith didn’t buy the election with $330 million on “infrastructure”. That contribution pushes it into 80% realm.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Canadian Tire Centre section reads like "there was absolutely no public funding, but there probably should have been."

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Canadian Tire Centre section reads like "there was absolutely no public funding, but there probably should have been."
When an arena funding plan leads to the collapse of the ownership group, it is evidence that just maybe a market failure exists that public funding could be considered to fill. See the difficulties of Vancouver and Montreal. Toronto was helped by a larger market and plenty of hidden public funding (land swaps, huge density transfers, and a good ol low interest loan iirc).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada