HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Skyline Killers

Skyline Killers: those wretched buildings that (partially) wreck the skyline.

Most often, you see them on the waterfront. Hence their killer ability, as they cannot be easily covered up without land reclamation in front of these skyline killers.

Prototypical exemplars:
Toronto's Harbour Castle and adjacent fugly concrete monstrosities (to the left), right on the waterfront, which act like a wall, Kowloonian-style.

tripadvisor

Toronto's skyline has transformed over the past twenty years, but those fuglies still mar the waterfront.

images c/o BlogTO

Lower Manhattan. You know which buildings I am talking about. Those fugly hulking things, to the right, on the waterfront. Blocking the view of the lovely lower Manhattan beauties from the 1920s/30s.

pond5

poo

Montreal: Palais de Justice. Rising like some dystopian monolith from the otherwise lovely Vieux Montreal.

laPresse
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:25 PM

Even ignoring the silly idea of a building ruining a skyline, your first example doesn't work at all.

Not only do they not ruin the skyline, they're barely noticeable at all especially right now during the boom Toronto is undergoing. Plus CN tower and the stadium take up most people's attention when looking at the skyline, and will probably continue to do so after the big skyscrapers around it are complete.

As for downtown Manhattan, those buildings have become part of that area in their own right.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It isn't a silly idea, and I am not the first one to raise the issue. There are buildings that significantly detract from the skyline. This is the subject of this thread. Those buildings in Toronto are extremely conspicuous on the waterfront. I live near Toronto and I see them regularly in the flesh.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
My sister recently made a comment about the Royal York being visible from the lake. I was like: “Not anymore!”

As for skyline killers in New York, I am not at all fond of the skinny supertall sticks on “Billionaire’s Row.”

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:03 PM
Look at me!

Shame about the hidden Royal York. It's a gem.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 7:27 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I think the calatrava bridges over the glorified drainage ditch known as the trinity river spoil the look of Downtown Dallas. They aren’t even real suspension bridges they have supports under them. I think they are a hideous waste.

Also nearly all the newer tall buildings in Austin are ugly to me. I don’t like the trend of buildings looking like asymmetrical jumbled boxes with cutouts for sky patios or whatever they call those.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 9:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Many have complained about the emerging walls of blue glass (condo towers sprouting like toadstools after the rain) spoiling Vancouver and Toronto's skylines.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:34 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Many have complained about the emerging walls of blue glass (condo towers sprouting like toadstools after the rain) spoiling Vancouver and Toronto's skylines.
My apparently constant complaining of Toronto's blue-green-generic-tower overkill got me in trouble with what's left of SSP's TO memebers. Fuck it. I love Toronto's skyline before it got clumsy and weird. I love Toronto's classic mid-century skyline, even though I concede that TO's urban fabric was full of holes.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
It isn't a silly idea, and I am not the first one to raise the issue. There are buildings that significantly detract from the skyline. This is the subject of this thread. Those buildings in Toronto are extremely conspicuous on the waterfront. I live near Toronto and I see them regularly in the flesh.
I've complained about those brutalist monstrosities before. I often like brutalism but not those examples. I wouldn't say that they kill the skyline, but they're sort of like pimples on an otherwise attractive face. The person is still attractive but the pimples sure don't help things. No offense to anyone with acne of course. I'm sure you're still gorgeous.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 10:52 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Boston's Rowe's Wharf doesn't look that great IMO.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 12:17 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

The Verizon building next to the Brooklyn bridge , nyc

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 12:29 AM

These lovelies just east of downtown Minneapolis:

Which stick out in shots from the east:

(Augsburg U)

The worst angle is right by Augsburg's campus.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I think the calatrava bridges over the glorified drainage ditch known as the trinity river spoil the look of Downtown Dallas. They aren’t even real suspension bridges they have supports under them. I think they are a hideous waste.

Also nearly all the newer tall buildings in Austin are ugly to me. I don’t like the trend of buildings looking like asymmetrical jumbled boxes with cutouts for sky patios or whatever they call those.
Like most people I know, I like the bridges you mentioned in Dallas.

I also like most of the new talls in Austin. But not all.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Nov 22, 2022 at 1:35 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:01 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
These lovelies just east of downtown Minneapolis:

Which stick out in shots from the east:

(Augsburg U)

The worst angle is right by Augsburg's campus.

ah yes, the infamous Crack Stacks of Minneapolis. I remember them well from my visit in 2003

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:04 AM
devout Pizzatarian

I love the Crack Stacks of Minneapolis!

Besides, they're both too small and too far removed to "kill" Minneapolis' absolutely gorgeous mid-size skyline.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:27 AM

As Toronto waterfront skyline gets wider and tall you hardly notice the Harbour Castle buildings

next year at this time this skyline view will have 2 new large peak at either end of this photo which will yet diminishing the effects of Harbour Castle.

They still also add to the night time waterfront skyline however

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:30 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Besides, they're both too small and too far removed to "kill" Minneapolis' absolutely gorgeous mid-size skyline.
Yes that's an example of brutalism I do like. It's interesting like something from 70s London. Plus the coloured panels sort of gives me an artsy Mondrian vibe.

I think part of it is also that I have different expectations for a city's waterfront compared to random inner-city urban fabric.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Yes that's an example of brutalism I do like. It's interesting like something from 70s London. Plus the coloured panels sort of gives me an artsy Mondrian vibe.

I think part of it is also that I have different expectations for a city's waterfront compared to random inner-city urban fabric.
More power to you. They make me think of a broken image link.

Error 404, aesthetics not found

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I do too!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 3:14 AM

The way Baltimore's World Trade Center is growing right out of the harbor can be off-putting from some angles, blocking the view and appearing like it's the city's tallest, being right in your face, when it's probably the fifth or sixth tallest.

But I kinda like it at the same time.

Regardless, Baltimore is an awesome city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions