PHILADELPHIA | 3801 Chestnut Street | 285 FT | 13 FLOORS

Title: 3801 Chestnut Street
Architect: Perkins and Will
Developer: Sterling Bay, Harrison Street & Botanic Properties
District: West Philadelphia
Neighborhood: University City
Floors: 13
Height: 285 FT

Chicago and N.Y. development firms plan new lab-and-office tower in U. City life-science hotbed

Quote:
A consortium of Chicago- and New York-based real estate developers plans to acquire land at 38th and Chestnut Streets to build high-tech offices and labs in a bet that University City will remain an epicenter for the nation’s booming life-sciences industries.

Sterling Bay and Harrison Street of Chicago and New York-based Botanic Properties are forming a venture to acquire the 3801 Chestnut St. site, currently home to Abner’s Cheesesteaks and other shops, for development into a 13-story, 310,000-square-foot office tower for life-science tenants, the companies said ahead of a planned announcement of the tie-up Tuesday.

The announcement comes amid surging demand from companies seeking lab space to develop and commercialize cell-therapy innovations and other cutting-edge treatments, many of them based on research conducted at area institutions such as the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Construction of the 3801 Chestnut St. lab-and-office building is slated to begin during the first three months of 2023, with completion anticipated in mid-2025.

“We already believe the demand is in this location,” said Burkemper.
Read/view more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/st...e=app-web-view

Last edited by summersm343; Nov 27, 2022 at 6:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 7:28 PM

Lab Dances a Better Choice at 38th & Chestnut

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-38th-chestnut

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 7:15 PM

From the Highrise thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:22 PM

This location for a tower is good and the design is okay however there seems to be a new Brutalist style going on. I assume this is the preliminary appearance of the massing; but it leads to a question; will we see innovative designs for new building architecture?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 2:27 PM

Yeah, it's funny how all these life sciences buildings going up are all so bland and boxy when the work going on inside is so cutting edge and futuristic. Where are the curves, the embellishments, etc.? If labs don't make sense for really tall buildings, at least give us some interesting, contemporary architecture that better aligns with the innovative work happening inside.

Last edited by McBane; Nov 1, 2022 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:02 PM

Underwriting lab buildings is a tricky thing. The vast majority of companies that will occupy space in these buildings are startups or barely past that stage, aka they have no credit, haven't gone public, haven't ever made any money. That in and of itself is challenging in light of how you typically finance commercial space: you land high-credit tenants with some guaranteed ability to pay their rent. In the lab world, you're mostly dealing with unproven companies whose future may live or die on a future FDA approval or on the results of new science.

Second point is that labs themselves are outrageously expensive to build out. Hundreds of dollars per square foot, or easily breaking $1,000 psf or more depending on what's happening in that particular lab.

Both of these factors make designing something with lots of bells and whistles - particularly bells and whistles that create inefficient or unusable space within the building - a tall order. I don't have a deep knowledge of lab buildings in Boston or the Bay Area or SD, but from what I've seen I can't think of any that knock your socks off from a design standpoint. High quality materials? Absolutely. Handsome? Sure. But there isn't a lot of room for architectural showing off.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 3:25 PM

With all of these projects happening in the area, I wish the 38th Street median could get some landscaping. It's landscaped for 2 blocks from Walnut to Chestnut but the rest of it has an ugly concrete median. The median runs from Lancaster Ave. to Baltimore Ave.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
Underwriting lab buildings is a tricky thing. The vast majority of companies that will occupy space in these buildings are startups or barely past that stage, aka they have no credit, haven't gone public, haven't ever made any money. That in and of itself is challenging in light of how you typically finance commercial space: you land high-credit tenants with some guaranteed ability to pay their rent. In the lab world, you're mostly dealing with unproven companies whose future may live or die on a future FDA approval or on the results of new science.

Second point is that labs themselves are outrageously expensive to build out. Hundreds of dollars per square foot, or easily breaking $1,000 psf or more depending on what's happening in that particular lab.

Both of these factors make designing something with lots of bells and whistles - particularly bells and whistles that create inefficient or unusable space within the building - a tall order. I don't have a deep knowledge of lab buildings in Boston or the Bay Area or SD, but from what I've seen I can't think of any that knock your socks off from a design standpoint. High quality materials? Absolutely. Handsome? Sure. But there isn't a lot of room for architectural showing off.
That's a good point. I don't pretend to know much about lab space but I recall reading something on here recently about some developer starting to design lab-space-on-demand; sort of a modular design that can be easily adapted to various tenants. The approach makes sense (on paper at least) and probably quite beneficial for these start ups (I'm assuming everything previous was a custom build)? These buildings don't look bad but agree are a bit bland...Maybe when a few of them make the bid time (like spark) they will build attractive, signature HQs.
hey a man can dream! I'm just happy to see all these developments continue, it's the one thing that's kept me optimistic about the City's future through the deluge of doomsday headlines we get hit with daily!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
With all of these projects happening in the area, I wish the 38th Street median could get some landscaping. It's landscaped for 2 blocks from Walnut to Chestnut but the rest of it has an ugly concrete median. The median runs from Lancaster Ave. to Baltimore Ave.
Giant metal poles to honor the loss of Atlantis /s

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 7:29 PM

Love it! Build it!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 5:25 PM

CDR is up.
https://www.phila.gov/media/20221122...6-2022-CDR.pdf
It's taller than estimated but I'm not sure what number to use the power units on top of building reach about 265ft above street level. Roof about 233.
Either way it's a great project!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 6:20 PM

Renderings Revealed For 3801 Chestnut Street In University City

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/11/rend...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
This location for a tower is good and the design is okay however there seems to be a new Brutalist style going on. I assume this is the preliminary appearance of the massing; but it leads to a question; will we see innovative designs for new building architecture?
Weird.

I think this is a very pretty sophisticated skin. Better than much of what has been build along Market Street West.

And this location is amazing. Essentially nestled in the center of Penn's campus. I don't think they'll have any trouble filling it.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 5:44 PM

I absolutely love this design, especially at street level. Such an improvement.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I absolutely love this design, especially at street level. Such an improvement.
Yes, I take back my 'bland' comment above. This looks quite sharp. I'm sure it'll be a bit visually deceiving with the double-floored windows. Pretty cool

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 6:33 PM

Love the new design but still sad about the death of my sweet, sweet Abner's RIP you will be missed

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 9:53 PM

This got a zoning permit today to demolish the low-rise building.

Quote:
ZP-2023-001017 Feb 14, 2023 3801-17 CHESTNUT ST, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3272 PAGANO THEODORE F JR TR, PAGANO DEAN M TR

Demolish the 1 and partial 2 story masonry and steel frame building to grade level. Remove slabs footings and basement foundation walls. Backfill basement void to match surrounding grades. Leave a rough graded lot.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2023, 10:21 PM

RIP Atlantis

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
This got a zoning permit today to demolish the low-rise building.
Seeing the Pagano name in that permit makes me a bit nostalgic. The House of Pagano restaurant at that location was a popular place for the parents of Penn students in the 1970s--including mine--to take their little Quakers when visiting. My parents really loved it--and of course it beat whatever I'd been eating in the Penn dining halls.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayormccheese View Post
rip atlantis
lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals