HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 7:43 PM

Winnipeg | Waverley West Ward | Development

Thought this thread was long overdue. The final straw was having a thread on Pembina & Jubilee (no offense Rutlander I like that area too) but the fact that we don't have a thread on the area with the most development occurring in Winnipeg is definitely interesting.

Well not anymore. Let me introduce y'all to the most happening area in Manitoba and Saskatchewan

The Waverley West Ward defined by the City of Winnipeg also includes Whyte Ridge, Linden Ridge, Richmond West, Fairfield Park, Waverley Heights, Montcalm, and University Heights.

New Builds (570 beds + 370 units)

The Arc

The Bravado

The Rise

U/C (1 HQ + 2,000 units)

The Allure

Allesta

The Tradition

Payworks HQ

Murano Gardens of South Pointe

Waverley Pointe

Prairie Pointe Developments

The Halo

2737 Pembina HWY

Align Student Residences

The Melody

Proposed (1350 units)

The Bridgwater by Paragon

The Epicentre

Bridgwater Hotel

Markham/Gull Lake

Chancellor TOD Apartment

Waverley/Lee Mixed-use Development

65 Kirkbridge Dr

Despite all of these projects I am still missing about 5 more projects happening in this ward, but I didn't expect it too be so time consuming lol. I'll have the rest of the ward done by the weekend. This is the first thread I've made so let me know if there is a better way to format the project lists.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:02 PM

Great idea for a thread, Mr. Geek. No reason not to put these projects in the spotlight and discuss them.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:04 PM

I wouldn't be sad if everything west of Waverly St. and North of Bishop was suddenly swallowed up into a giant hole never to be seen again.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 8:33 PM
BANNED

^ that's likely given the building sites and construction. a good contender for the ugliest neighbourhood in Winnipeg

Old Posted Sep 1, 2022, 11:39 PM

so the new payworks hq is at waverley and kenaston, right?

if that's correct, the only transit link for their 500-person headquarters is served only by one bus line (671/672), a little feeder route connecting UofM and Waverley West that runs every half hour.

their current location is a 10 minute walk from Seel Station on the Blue Line and is directly served by the 78.

it's a marker of the crappiness of our system and our car-centricity when an employer can build a brand new purpose built HQ and give zero consideration in the decision to transit

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 4:10 PM

I was on Janice Luke’s website and she had an article a year or two ago stating they were finally connecting bison to route 90 from waverly. Is this still happening it said construction was to start this year.?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 5:02 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
I wouldn't be sad if everything west of Waverly St. and North of Bishop was suddenly swallowed up into a giant hole never to be seen again.
Linden Woods, you're going down!!!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 5:05 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
I was on Janice Luke’s website and she had an article a year or two ago stating they were finally connecting bison to route 90 from waverly. Is this still happening it said construction was to start this year.?
I haven't driven by there lately, but the land is pretty much set for it. Might still be property owner holdouts on the western stretch of Cadboro towards Waverley.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Thought this thread was long overdue. The final straw was having a thread on Pembina & Jubilee (no offense Rutlander I like that area too) but the fact that we don't have a thread on the area with the most development occurring in Winnipeg is definitely interesting.

Well not anymore. Let me introduce y'all to the most happening area in Manitoba and Saskatchewan

The Waverley West Ward defined by the City of Winnipeg also includes Whyte Ridge, Linden Ridge, Richmond West, Fairfield Park, Waverley Heights, Montcalm, and University Heights.

New Builds (570 beds + 370 units)

The Arc

The Bravado

The Rise

U/C (1 HQ + 2,000 units)

The Allure

Allesta

The Tradition

Payworks HQ

Murano Gardens of South Pointe

Waverley Pointe

Prairie Pointe Developments

The Halo

2737 Pembina HWY

Align Student Residences

The Melody

Proposed (1350 units)

The Bridgwater by Paragon

The Epicentre

Bridgwater Hotel

Markham/Gull Lake

Chancellor TOD Apartment

Waverley/Lee Mixed-use Development

65 Kirkbridge Dr

Despite all of these projects I am still missing about 5 more projects happening in this ward, but I didn't expect it too be so time consuming lol. I'll have the rest of the ward done by the weekend. This is the first thread I've made so let me know if there is a better way to format the project lists.
All an urbanists nightmare.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2022, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
All an urbanists nightmare.
An urbanist nightmare but a dream for surburban urbanists!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 10:08 PM

On occasion this summer I've driven down the south Perimeter past the Brady Road landfill. On a hot day, the smell can be overpowering. It must be such a nuisance for people in the South Pointe/South Pointe West areas.

I wonder if in hindsight the City should have prevented the areas nearest the garbage dump from becoming residential? I have little doubt that this area will decline over time relative to the rest of Waverley West as people will realize that buying there is not a great idea.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
On occasion this summer I've driven down the south Perimeter past the Brady Road landfill. On a hot day, the smell can be overpowering. It must be such a nuisance for people in the South Pointe/South Pointe West areas.

I wonder if in hindsight the City should have prevented the areas nearest the garbage dump from becoming residential? I have little doubt that this area will decline over time relative to the rest of Waverley West as people will realize that buying there is not a great idea.
The best part of waking up is folgers in your cup..no no is diapers smell from across the permitter in your face.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 2:32 AM

Quote:

I mean, plenty of people live in St. Boniface and that area smells like hot a** pretty often too. People gotta make trade-offs no matter where they live I suppose.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:57 AM

Brady Landfill apparently is being relocated in the future , now future could mean 3, 6, 10 years who knows ?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Brady Landfill apparently is being relocated in the future , now future could mean 3, 6, 10 years who knows ?
No it’s not, this is a rumour told by real estate agents selling houses to new comers in the area.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (sub)urban View Post
I mean, plenty of people live in St. Boniface and that area smells like hot a** pretty often too. People gotta make trade-offs no matter where they live I suppose.
3-4 x's a year StB has smells. it use to be worse but lots measures have been put into place

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
The best part of waking up is folgers in your cup..no no is diapers smell from across the permitter in your face.
Ha. It's true, but that has to be a tough pill to swallow when you're making mortgage payments on a new $750,000 house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
3-4 x's a year StB has smells. it use to be worse but lots measures have been put into place
Totally agree, it's way less noticeable now than it was 10-15 years ago. This is coming from someone who actually doesn't mind the mushroom smell, haha.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 1:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Ha. It's true, but that has to be a tough pill to swallow when you're making mortgage payments on a new $750,000 house.
(purchases a new house beside a garbage dump in a new area with no schools)

"Hey, why are there no schools for my kids to go to? And why does it smell like hot rotten diapers all the time?"

Lesson: buyer beware.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
An urbanist nightmare but a dream for surburban urbanists!
Suburban urbanists?

Jumbo shrimp? Pretty ugly? Living Dead?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2022, 10:56 PM

Hide yo kids hide yo wife another apartment complex in Bridgwater has been brought to life.

Man I can’t wait until the buildings in Bridgwater Centre are completed. With that, the new schools, and the construction of the recreation campus on Bison Dr this area is only going to get more walkable. And tbh in the summer Bridgwater is lowkey a vibe seeing a bunch of teenagers and young adults cycling around the neighborhood during the evening/night. All we need is some good nightlife and I might never have to leave the Southwest part of the city again. The rest of y’all should join the dark side and embrace our Waverley West overlords

Oh on another note, public engagement for the Bison/Waverley intersection should occur in the spring of next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan