HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:25 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Ever since I started working in the area 3 years ago, so much has changed with a spur of activity going on.

Of course you got the road construction going on Jubilee and Pembina Hwy, but also the construction that's happening around the Pemby, the old Legion, and the old Pancake House locations.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 12:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlander View Post
I wanted to start this thread to draw attention to a particular area and the vast changes that are taking place within walking distance of the Pembina/Jubilee hub in every direction. This intersection is bordered by areas with long histories and deep senses of community that are not really connected to the Pembina south of Bishop Grandin.
^^^ Fair enough, I just feel that this thread will die out fairly quickly if it is just limited to that specific area. All of Pembina south of Jubilee is undergoing quite a transformation.

I am good either way...just a suggestion.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 12:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule-le View Post
The Onyx 2 at 1792 Pembina? Where are they squeezing that in?
At the east end of the site. There is a large parcel of undeveloped land along the river where Scandals used to be.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
At the east end of the site. There is a large parcel of undeveloped land along the river where Scandals used to be.

I think the former Scandals site should be declared a heritage location. At least a plaque on the building, perhaps?

"Here once stood the proud home of 10 cent draft "beer" Mondays, $1 Tuesdays, Thirsty Thursdays, and making out with strangers before going home smelling like an ashtray." This is something that should be commemorated.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post
I think the former Scandals site should be declared a heritage location. At least a plaque on the building, perhaps?

"Here once stood the proud home of 10 cent draft "beer" Mondays, $1 Tuesdays, Thirsty Thursdays, and making out with strangers before going home smelling like an ashtray." This is something that should be commemorated.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndWander View Post

If its not too late with Zoning let's petition the city to get them moving that parkade below ground and recreate Scandals/Area Night Club/Whatever else is was over the years as the first 2/3 floors of the building. I'm sure the residents of Onyx and surrounding buildings would be thrilled to have that back.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 1:37 AM

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 1:40 AM

1125 Pembina, former Fort Garry Legion.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 2:20 AM

I vote for this thread to be titled Pembina Hwy

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 2:26 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I vote for this thread to be titled Pembina Hwy
*Central/South Pembina Hwy.

North Pembina Highway can suck an egg!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 4:50 PM

Vic's Market moving along nicely.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:39 PM

900 block of Jubilee near Pembina

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:48 PM
What could go wrong?

Those two are the skyscraping monstrosities that residence said would destroy the character of the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 1:27 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I pass by those two every day. Was that what the fuss was about?

Also, the Pemby is almost gone, as of 5:15 PM this afternoon.

Most likely be gone when I go by tomorrow morning.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 1:44 AM

Subway at Windermere and Pembina permanently closed. Anyone know what's happening with this building?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlander View Post
Subway at Windermere and Pembina permanently closed. Anyone know what's happening with this building?
that's a huge lot too, big parking lot. you could actually put something pretty substantial in there

i also noticed the motorcycle dealership next to the construction site where the legion used to be is now vacant... wondering if we'll see a string of midrises along there soon

all this development is really making it feel like it was a mistake to put BRT on the dogleg instead of using it to create a real transit corridor right along pembina. imagine if that whole long stretch of pembina was rapid transit adjacent... lots of high potential and very underused spaces...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
that's a huge lot too, big parking lot. you could actually put something pretty substantial in there

i also noticed the motorcycle dealership next to the construction site where the legion used to be is now vacant... wondering if we'll see a string of midrises along there soon

all this development is really making it feel like it was a mistake to put BRT on the dogleg instead of using it to create a real transit corridor right along pembina. imagine if that whole long stretch of pembina was rapid transit adjacent... lots of high potential and very underused spaces...
Couldn't agree more.

Once again, thanks Sam. /s

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 3:22 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Those two are the skyscraping monstrosities that residence said would destroy the character of the neighbourhood.
Someone needs to do a coffee table book of all the projects in Winnipeg where everyone thought the sky was falling. They get built and everyone forgets. Then it happens again. Maybe I’ll do a tweet thread.

That clinic on academy is one. What else?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 1:39 PM
What could go wrong?

When the MTS Centre was proposed there was a group that said that building right to the street and the overhang on Hargrave would be dangerous to women and the conditions could contribute to women being raped.

Having all of the Winnipeg Transit buses painted white would make it all but impossible to see them in snowstorms.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 2:03 PM

^ MTS Centre rape gangs of crazed hockey fans spilling out into the streets. I remember that one.

The Keg on McGillivray was going to drive all the dogs in the area wild, that one was pretty crazy.

I'm sure pretty well any multi-family building going up within 1 km of single family houses has probably been accused of bringing about a traffic apocalypse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan