HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 8:37 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Didn't bother to get through the paywall.

The biggest knock on CentrePort has been lack of action with servicing etc, leaving the big clients to look elsewhere.

The biggest wins for CentrePort will be the large, transformative clients. The smaller more normal industrial park stuff they've been doing is fine. But just more of the plain jane stuff.

Having the servicing move forward, and the rail park, is good news. The rail park will be interesting to see if they can get some decent clients to move in.
Yeah I'm curious to see what it will look like if Centreport is able to become properly 'intermodal' and have rail, truck, and air all working harmoniously. I think a proper cargo facility on the NW side of the airport along with the rail park could be very interesting if that ever materializes.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 2, 2022, 10:23 PM

A cargo facility is indeed just about to start being built at the airport, however I don’t know where they’re putting it

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
A cargo facility is indeed just about to start being built at the airport, however I don’t know where they’re putting it
A multi-tenant cargo facility to be built at 2020 Sargent Ave is in the tender stage, they have already demolished the "Air Canada Cargo" building. I don't know if that's what the building was actually called, it's just what Google Maps says.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 5:26 AM

‘The buildings going up, the jobs being created’
Developers can’t build fast enough at CentrePort
Martin Cash
By: Martin Cash
Posted: 2:02 AM CDT Thursday, Oct. 13, 2022
Last Modified: 9:18 AM CDT Thursday, Oct. 13

When Satpal (Sam) Sidhu and his partners at Whiteland Developers bought their first 80 acres of open field in CentrePort in 2018 they knew there was strong demand for industrial land.

That development, BrookPort Business Park, came on the heels of another successful industrial park to the south that sold out quickly.

But still, it was empty land on the west side of Brookside Boulevard north of Inkster Boulevard, far from where any other industrial development was occurring.

Amritpal Jhand (left) CEO of Whiteland Developers, and Satpal Sidhu, president of Whiteland Developers, at their property at CentrePort. The company has developed more than 300 acres of CentrePort land for industrial buildings.

Since then the transplanted Winnipegger has successfully developed 305 acres – all of it sold, with more than 40 businesses now operating where there were none only four years ago.

Whiteland has another 55 acres left for BrookPort phase IV that will come on the market next year, and that will be it.

“It has been very successful,” Sidhu said. “Everything has gone very well.”

After the end of Wednesday’s annual stakeholders’ tour — which has to be more carefully curated every year because of CentrePort’s growing footprint — Diane Gray, the out-going CEO of CentrePort said, “It is satisfying to see everything fall into place.”

Gray, who is stepping down at the end of next week to become deputy minister of Prairies Economic Development Canada or PrairiesCan (formerly Western Economic Diversification), said that despite the dramatic development over the past few years it is only the tip of the iceberg.

“You talk about the building blocks that are necessary — the planning and zoning and development approvals and infrastructure — but to see the market respond in the way it has — the buildings going up, the jobs being created… it is exceeding my expectations,” said Gray.

Right now there is more than 600,000 square feet of buildings under construction in CentrePort after more than $70 million worth of building permits issued this year.

Included in that is 300,000 square feet of multi-tenant industrial that Calgary-based Hopewell Development is doing on land purchased from Whiteland’s BrookPort phase III and Whiteland itself is developing its own 84,000 square foot multi-tenant building near the 100,000 square foot building it leases to Nutrien on Brookside Boulevard.

Whiteland has plans for another 74,000 square foot building adjacent to those that it plans to develop next year.

There is now no dispute about CentrePort’s success and Kurt Shmon, the president and owner along with his wife Betty, of Imperial Seeds is a perfect example of the manifestation of the CentrePort vision.

After buying the company in 2008 its previous one acre location on Arlington Street was quickly becoming a hindrance to growth.

Shmon bought 20 acres on the north side of CentrePort Canada Way in 2017 and put up a 15,000 square foot office and 30,000 square foot warehouse for its forage and turf seed business that exports to about 30 countries around the world.

The company is now building another 30,000 square foot warehouse and still has plenty of room to grow, which Shmon said is very much in the cards.

Diane Gray, president and CEO of CentrePort.
“We could have gone to Portage la Prairie or Regina and we looked at lots of locations,” he said. “But we found CentrePort offered us the best opportunities.”

The result of that sort of decision-making is music to the ears of Deputy Premier and Minster of Economic Development, Investment and Trade, Cliff Cullen.

“Our government is pleased to work collaboratively with CentrePort and all business and industry leaders to create the conditions to make Manitoba more competitive, foster job creation, incent investment and spur economic growth, now and well into the future,” he said.

While Gray’s departure is brilliantly timed after 13 years of amazing growth, her successor will have a great platform to build on the successes that have occurred to date.

Infrastructure servicing agreements with the City of Winnipeg for another 1,800 acres of industrial land and 500 acres for residential south and west of the airport, is imminent.

Victoria, B.C.-based Focus Equities won the lengthy and rigorous RFP to develop 665 acres of land that the province owned on behalf of CentrePort to develop a very specialized rail park that will provide large rail dependent operators access to the Canadian Pacific main line with connections to CN and BNSF.

The first phase of that project has been subdivided and discussions with prospective tenants are taking place. That development will provide CentrePort with on-going revenue.

More than $350 million worth of building permits have been issued for CentrePort developments over the past five years, and anyone you talk to will tell you that demand for modern industrial space is expected to continue.

And like Sidhu said, with industrial land in the Greater Toronto Area selling for $3 million per acre and land in CentrePort selling for about $500,000 per acre (up from $350,000 for Whiteland’s first phase of Brookport) trucking and distribution companies who are working from coast to coast are realizing there’s a much more cost effective place to park their trucks in the middle of the country at CentrePort.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2022, 12:24 PM

So with all this good news will there be a push to get the Headingly Bypass built?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 11:04 PM

Here’s a nice article from the Western Investor.

Particularly like the picture they used.

https://www.westerninvestor.com/sask...demand-6019700

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:03 PM
What could go wrong?

For those interested in the preliminary CentrePort South street layout.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
For those interested in the preliminary CentrePort South street layout.

So an expressway hopefully one day a freeway is being turned into a st Mary’s road??

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:16 PM

Those roads aren't all going to connect directly to CCW, are they?? I assume they will just be frontage type roads. I hope. right??

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:22 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Those roads aren't all going to connect directly to CCW, are they?? I assume they will just be frontage type roads. I hope. right??
We are in worse trouble than anyone thought if the idea is for direct highway access
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:30 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe there would be service roads. This is from the RFP for sewer and water design, but shows the proposed street network.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 7, 2023, 5:51 PM

CCW is definitely using access roads currently with access via Sturgeon Access or Sturgeon Rd. It doesn't mean it won't change in the future.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 6:31 PM

“Up to $18 million under the National Trade Corridors Fund for a project that will build a rail park at Centre Port Canada in Winnipeg.”

Minister of Transport announces funding to improve intermodal connectivity in the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 6:56 PM

I don't get it, what is a "rail park"? A switching yard? A loading/unloading track? Something else?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 7:16 PM

It's basically just a rail served industrial park. Looks like they will have some sort of cross dock facility. Which is basically just a sorting area to transfer goods around. They tout it as road, rail and air. Which I'm not really sure how the air part would work. It's just kind of close to the airport.

I think they're trying to lure those big name anchor tenant type companies too. But not sure how that's going. Focus Equities is now the main player with the rail park thing.

I tried google searching to see whats being proposed. Got these images.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
“Up to $18 million under the National Trade Corridors Fund for a project that will build a rail park at Centre Port Canada in Winnipeg.”

Minister of Transport announces funding to improve intermodal connectivity in the Winnipeg Metropolitan Region
Good news!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 8:06 PM

Quote:
It's basically just a rail served industrial park. Looks like they will have some sort of cross dock facility. Which is basically just a sorting area to transfer goods around. They tout it as road, rail and air. Which I'm not really sure how the air part would work. It's just kind of close to the airport.

I think they're trying to lure those big name anchor tenant type companies too. But not sure how that's going. Focus Equities is now the main player with the rail park thing.

I tried google searching to see whats being proposed. Got these images.

Thanks. The bottom image makes it look like an intermodal yard. I wonder if they are going to run any spurs directly to users or if this common use facility is it?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2023, 10:58 PM

I'm wondering how CN and BN are going to access the private rail yard as they keep getting mentioned in all the promotional material for CenterPort?

Will CP give them running rights down their main line to pickup and deliver rail cars or will CP do the pickup from the new rail yard and do the interchange with CN at Paddington Interchange in St. B and BN at the small rail yard next to Westview Park?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks. The bottom image makes it look like an intermodal yard. I wonder if they are going to run any spurs directly to users or if this common use facility is it?
The days of local industries requiring railcars spotted right to their back door are pretty much gone. Most of the rail-served industrial areas in Winnipeg have very few industries still using these industrial spurs. In the St James industrial area I think there’s just Russell Metals on Saskatchewan, the drywall plant by Garbage Hill, and Reliance Products on Sherwin using the spur. In the Murray Industrial Park, there’s just Winpak. In the West End, Cascades on Wall still gets a few boxcars spotted. Not sure if there’s anything in the Fort Garry Industrial Park. A lot of the old spurs are being abandoned. If you look at the satellite images on Google maps you can see a few rail cars here and there in the older industrial areas. I don’t know how long the city will continue to maintain these spurs.
I can’t imagine there are too many industries left that require railcars delivered to their door, so a common intermodal facility at Centreport is likely sufficient.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2023, 2:40 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
The days of local industries requiring railcars spotted right to their back door are pretty much gone. Most of the rail-served industrial areas in Winnipeg have very few industries still using these industrial spurs. In the St James industrial area I think there’s just Russell Metals on Saskatchewan, the drywall plant by Garbage Hill, and Reliance Products on Sherwin using the spur. In the Murray Industrial Park, there’s just Winpak. In the West End, Cascades on Wall still gets a few boxcars spotted. Not sure if there’s anything in the Fort Garry Industrial Park. A lot of the old spurs are being abandoned. If you look at the satellite images on Google maps you can see a few rail cars here and there in the older industrial areas. I don’t know how long the city will continue to maintain these spurs.
I can’t imagine there are too many industries left that require railcars delivered to their door, so a common intermodal facility at Centreport is likely sufficient.
The same can be said in Inkster Industrial Park. There's a multi-tenant facility on Paramount Rd where it has a rail spur alongside the building complex. Everywhere else have either abandoned or removed rail spurs. Some buildings will still have the access doors on the side of their buildings to access the old boxcars of years past.

Now, I'm not so sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan