HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:38 PM

Overall the layouts seem fine to me. Generally the suites are square. Some of them have the funny angled walls due to the reason Drew mentioned. I guess the rents compared to other buildings are the issue. If people want to pay those rents, or they lower the rents, whatever.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 4:45 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am not sure why there is such angst on this project.

It's a rental. Pricing will be adjusted as necessary to fill the building. I don't see any issue there. It's just a longer pay back period for the owner, but doesn't affect anyone else.

As to the suite layouts, we have to keep in mind that the foundation and column locations were set and the floor plans based around that. Also keep in mind, those column locations are based on an shorter, fatter office building and not the taller slender residential building that was constructed. Perhaps they did the best with what was allowed given these constraints.

Either way, it's not something for anyone but the owner to lose sleep over.
Bingo.

I've been watching this project to see how things go vis a vis a similar type of tower in Edmonton in Augustana which was top of market and only seeing momentum 16-20months after completion.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am not sure why there is such angst on this project.

It's a rental. Pricing will be adjusted as necessary to fill the building. I don't see any issue there. It's just a longer pay back period for the owner, but doesn't affect anyone else.

As to the suite layouts, we have to keep in mind that the foundation and column locations were set and the floor plans based around that. Also keep in mind, those column locations are based on an shorter, fatter office building and not the taller slender residential building that was constructed. Perhaps they did the best with what was allowed given these constraints.

Either way, it's not something for anyone but the owner to lose sleep over.

What kind of forum would we be without some fabricated angst?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 7:23 PM
What could go wrong?

You know what gives me angst? The word angst. Seems like it is spelled wrong or needs another vowel or something.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
what ae the rents anyways?
1 bedrooms start at $1595.00 2 bedrooms start at $2285.00.

https://300main.ca/

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 9:57 PM

I get that the developers don't need our sympathy. But it is a bad sign when a large proportion of recent downtown residential developments have crashed and burned so spectacularly in different ways (dCondo, 300 Main and the granddaddy of them all, Skycity).

It doesn't bode well for the future of the market.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:01 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I get that the developers don't need our sympathy. But it is a bad sign when a large proportion of recent downtown residential developments have crashed and burned so spectacularly in different ways (dCondo, 300 Main and the granddaddy of them all, Skycity).

It doesn't bode well for the future of the market.
Dcondo - large scale project from a small project developer. They were in way over their heads. Nothing to do with local market conditions.

SkyCity - that was a scam of monorail proportions. Nothing to do with local market conditions.

300 Main - the building isn't even finished yet! Come back from the ledge you guys!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2022, 10:05 PM

300 Main is rental. Haven't the other rental buildings done very well? They're mostly full IIRC.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i doubt they know something every other residential develop in the city doesn't. In my opinion, when you are trying to sell a high volume of residential units, you should make a product that has been proven to be desirable to a high number of renters.

Isn't 300 Assiniboine also large one and two bedrooms, just like these suites? Do we know how well that building faired?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
Isn't 300 Assiniboine also large one and two bedrooms, just like these suites? Do we know how well that building faired?
From what I know, it has been a little slow but steady.
I have had a few clients who live there as well as a few acquaintances.
One moved to 390 down the street.

I can tell you that I am in a 2 bedroom (1 bedroom + Den) 1400+ ft2 and in another area of the city I have 2 relations and a couple friends in nearly 1500 ft2 and 1300 ft2 respectively. so not everyone enjoys living in a squished closet.
To each their own. And yes, these are 70's buildings renovated.
We shall see what happens with 300 Main but perhaps more hope, positivity and less gloom & doom might be a good thing. Developers read these messages.Sends some packing for future investments.
Pessimism is & has always been huge in Whiny-peg.
I recall my grandfather telling me that as a kid & how that was always a major reason Winnipeg did not see much growth for decades. I have lived here all my life and anytime I am positive about my city I get shot down or jeered but I am resilient. .
I recall hearing how Canada Life Centre will be a colossal failure before it opened.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 8:50 PM

A friend of mine lives in 1 Evergreen. I think it's like 1000 ft^2, 1 bed 2 bath. So there is precedent in the city for these layouts.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
A friend of mine lives in 1 Evergreen. I think it's like 1000 ft^2, 1 bed 2 bath. So there is precedent in the city for these layouts.
2 bedroom is near 1200 ft2 & 2 bath

Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 12:27 AM
surely you agree with me

300 Assiniboine took forever to lease. Still not sure if it’s full.

I do this work every single day and have a very good idea of what the market wants. There may be other buildings with some odd suites like this but when you are dropping 400 units on a down market it is a bizarre choice to not build what sells best. Maybe they are smarter than everyone else and they know that the 900 sf one bedroom market is an untapped resource but to me it’s a massive risk.

All new buildings with large suites have taken forever to lease/sell. Never mind large suites with weird bedroom ratios. Not only does it take longer to lease, big units aren’t as profitable. 900 sf leased for less per square foot than 600 sf. But that’s their problem.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
300 Assiniboine took forever to lease. Still not sure if it’s full.

I do this work every single day and have a very good idea of what the market wants. There may be other buildings with some odd suites like this but when you are dropping 400 units on a down market it is a bizarre choice to not build what sells best. Maybe they are smarter than everyone else and they know that the 900 sf one bedroom market is an untapped resource but to me it’s a massive risk.

All new buildings with large suites have taken forever to lease/sell. Never mind large suites with weird bedroom ratios. Not only does it take longer to lease, big units aren’t as profitable. 900 sf leased for less per square foot than 600 sf. But that’s their problem.
Sounds like they need to build another new tallest to test that theory

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Sounds like they need to build another new tallest to test that theory
Maybe 2 more. Have a control project and all, just to get the findings right.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 7:14 AM

Leaving Jets game looked like about 10-15 suites had lights on , the west side of the building is all i saw .

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 2:13 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
You know what gives me angst? The word angst. Seems like it is spelled wrong or needs another vowel or something.
This could be the perfect wordle.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 4:43 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
This could be the perfect wordle.
That would be very sheisty of them
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 9:20 PM

The sidewalk on the Main Street side is temporarily covered again. I wonder what they are up to now? Also now that I'm working downtown again, I noticed that fins get worked on maybe one day a month.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2022, 9:32 PM

The sidewalk on the Main Street side is temporarily covered again. I wonder what they are up to now? Also now that I'm working downtown again, I noticed that fins get worked on maybe one day a month.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan