HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 4:16 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
I'm hoping it'll be a development like Baydo next door or something close.
With a full-sized grocery store on the main level please!!!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 5:52 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
the lot is up for sale as a mixed use. I'm hoping it'll be a development like Baydo next door or something close.
Yeah, but with a usable CRU. That empty space on the corner is a total eyesore and waste. Trying to think of what would even work at Baydo -- the loading facilities would be total crap, and it's too big for most retail. Maybe a liquor store?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 12:31 PM

baydo can be subdivided can't it? it would've been a dream if they made 4-6 distinct storefronts...shops like in broadway character. oh well, better than the bank, for sure- how about a freshco?! maybe a bank will move back in, more people there soon... I would love to move into 639 main, with a view dt, but I'm shocked at rental prices now all across the city. I have to stay where i am for now. i don't believe my wage is rising in accordance with the cost of living!

639 Main has some good space on the 1st fl too, and easier parking. a restaurant/pub? could broadway get saturated with these? i hope not. pub crawling should be so easy!

Last edited by Saskabusher; Oct 27, 2022 at 1:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2022, 6:27 PM

Construction Update.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 1:06 PM

many thanks CanadianDriverYXE! without you, I'm blind so is the west side first 5 apartment floors ready for final siding? what material will they use? it seems this will be ready for rent in about four months by their website. then you can go to a great restaurant, bar-hop including live gigs, walk along the high riverbank looking at downtown, walking off your steak, and return for a beautiful sunset or to twinkling stars on your balcony and never have to mow the lawn, shovel snow or stack boxes in a triple garage. or worry about a break-in. I'm loving the option! it would be great if they could team with the gov't and offer subsidized rent on maybe four units or so. just a thought

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskabusher View Post
many thanks CanadianDriverYXE! without you, I'm blind so is the west side first 5 apartment floors ready for final siding? what material will they use? it seems this will be ready for rent in about four months by their website. then you can go to a great restaurant, bar-hop including live gigs, walk along the high riverbank looking at downtown, walking off your steak, and return for a beautiful sunset or to twinkling stars on your balcony and never have to mow the lawn, shovel snow or stack boxes in a triple garage. or worry about a break-in. I'm loving the option! it would be great if they could team with the gov't and offer subsidized rent on maybe four units or so. just a thought
'tis my pleasure to give this forum updates as much as I can.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 11:49 PM

Construction Update.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 10:09 AM

looks like the crane is coming down soon. thanks CDYXE!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2023, 10:45 PM

Construction update! The crane is still up haha. Hope to see more projects like these in this area!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 4:28 PM

My wife and I are approaching retirement and live in Varsity View area. We are keeping a close eye on developments like this, as we want to stay in this area but are looking to downsize and be able to leave our "new home" for travel in the winter. I hope there are more options added in the Nutana area.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 9:18 PM

Construction Update

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:55 AM

looks like they're on schedule. the first floor is lookin good! Thanks CDYXE!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 9:01 PM

The crane is down!

I'm really loving this pocket of density and growth. Broadway has such a bright future, knowing that this kind of development is supported there.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 10:00 PM
Has been

As a resident of the area I can say none of this new development, to date, compensates for the loss of the grocery store, crappy as it may have been.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
As a resident of the area I can say none of this new development, to date, compensates for the loss of the grocery store, crappy as it may have been.
When the store closed, Loblaws said that it had been unprofitable. There seems to be some optimism about a new grocery store at the proposed Broadway and 8th development --- and maybe all of these new apartments will help that come to fruition.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2023, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
When the store closed, Loblaws said that it had been unprofitable. There seems to be some optimism about a new grocery store at the proposed Broadway and 8th development --- and maybe all of these new apartments will help that come to fruition.
I'm also feeling very optimistic about this part of the city. Your post has me intrigued though... when you say "optimism about a new grocery store", is that just hope expressed by posters on the forum, or do you have some intel that could be shared?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninipanini View Post
I'm also feeling very optimistic about this part of the city. Your post has me intrigued though... when you say "optimism about a new grocery store", is that just hope expressed by posters on the forum, or do you have some intel that could be shared?
As per the public info session in December, the developer is going to pursue an urban grocer/cafe/deli, and the proposal has enough commercial space and parking to accommodate those uses. No tenants have been secured yet --- it's still a bit early for that. Fingers crossed, though.

Here's a link to the recording of that session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I60dZzDuZUw

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 5:00 PM

They've begun to accept rental applications for 639 Main, with expected move-in dates in June/July.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2023, 9:25 PM

Does anyone have any information on how much interest this building is getting so far? Curious to know how many rental applications have been submitted. I bet this fills up relatively quickly.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2023, 5:01 PM

Any links to rental info/website?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan