HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 6:45 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

Shot this image of YOW on my most recent flight. You can clearly see Porter hangar and new taxiway seems finished (?).

Last edited by YOWflier; May 9, 2023 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 10:04 PM

I wonder how much pax from Toronto will be connecting throw YOW with Porter. There is for sure a market for travellers who want to avoid YYZ at all costs. Right now the layover times between YTZ-YVR via YOW are spot on. But then again of course they would be with double digit flights per day between YTZ-YOW. Even their facebook page seems to have comments where people ask if YOW operations will increase because they want to avoid Pearson.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 11:12 PM

There is currently a seat sale J class with Air France out of YOW! On the inaugural flight in June with mid July return to CDG is $2245! Which is amazing so it was no brainer that we (3 of us) upgraded to Business. Just for comparison economy is almost $1900 and premium economy is $2445 more expensive than business.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofYOW View Post
It really is underserved, and very isolated. Which is why I would like to see direct YOW-YYT with connections here in YOW for them. It would benefit us as well with a direct option. Although, Porter's YOW-YHZ-YYT with no plane change is a great alternative. I would never connect in YYZ for this, absolutely not. It just further solidifies my opinion of AC. I honestly would not be surprised if AC gradually decreases YOW service over the next 5 years as Porter moves in. I don't see them putting in effort to re-capture customers here.

I would pay more too. I agree with you, but as I mentioned, the no plane change with Porter via YHZ would be the direct competition. So for me it really depends on time saved Vs. cost.
Not sure if you’re aware but there’s a second same-plane option to Newfoundland. PAL fly YQM-YDF-YYT.

I fully expect YOW-YYT on PD will come in due time. May 2024 would probably be the prime time to launch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
There is currently a seat sale J class with Air France out of YOW! On the inaugural flight in June with mid July return to CDG is $2245! Which is amazing so it was no brainer that we (3 of us) upgraded to Business. Just for comparison economy is almost $1900 and premium economy is $2445 more expensive than business.
That’s awesome. With fares like that it means the inaugural is almost sold out.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 2:29 AM

Expect F8 to announce YOW-PUJ for next winter.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Not sure if you’re aware but there’s a second same-plane option to Newfoundland. PAL fly YQM-YDF-YYT.
I actually did completely forget abou PAL. That too.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Honestly, that's not bad at all for J class. Damn, I want to be on that inaugural flight lol.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 2:10 PM

Quote:
I wonder how much pax from Toronto will be connecting throw YOW with Porter. There is for sure a market for travellers who want to avoid YYZ at all costs. Right now the layover times between YTZ-YVR via YOW are spot on. But then again of course they would be with double digit flights per day between YTZ-YOW. Even their facebook page seems to have comments where people ask if YOW operations will increase because they want to avoid Pearson.
Transiting through YYZ is hell, especially when you get dropped off at the C gates and then they're departing from B gates and you only have 10 minutes to get there and need to run for 15 minutes. It's awful, especially for those with health conditions.

Quote:
It would definitely be huge for YOW overall if we can get more transit business too. I mean if all of Porter's western connections to the Maritimes have to go through Ottawa, that'll be huge. The new jets are a world of a difference from their Dash 8s. Even the Thunder Bay connection had a decent portion transiting through Ottawa on my two flights back from YVR this year through Porter. Just hope YOW leadership sees the opportunity for Porter to make Ottawa it's major hub and fight like hell to get this going.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 2:05 AM

Quote:
There is a mini price war between AC and Air France in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver.
If you need to get across the Ocean, start looking these only last a week or so.

Rome and Florence have some cheap fares out of YOW to boot.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...-business.html

https://www.premiumcabindeals.com/20...-from-cad.html

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 2:24 AM

Right now AC dropped a bunch of prices to Paris to about 1000 CAD prior to AF's launch. AF is hovering around 1500 at the moment, so the non-direct flight is going to get a lot more eyes, so AF might need to be a bit more competitive. For me personally, if direct is a few hundred more - I'd rather go direct but I don't know if the average person can justify 500 dollars difference. And I try to flight direct or out of YOW every time.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 3:43 PM

oday’s departure count: 69, including 1 sun flight

Today’s cancellation count (so far): 1 - the 77L is cancelled today, replaced by a sold-out MAX as AC2145

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
There is a mini price war between AC and Air France in Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver.
If you need to get across the Ocean, start looking these only last a week or so.

Rome and Florence have some cheap fares out of YOW to boot.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...-business.html

https://www.premiumcabindeals.com/20...-from-cad.html
Ouch these are deals?
Flew to Florence last year here is the price for 2 in July peak season (from YUL through Munich)
Quote:
Passenger Type Price Taxes and carrier imposed fees Passengers Total
Price of your Tickets
Adults CAD 72.00 CAD 787.25 2 CAD 1718.50
Additional Baggage CAD 140.00

Total Price for all Passengers CAD 1858.50

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesladom View Post
Ouch these are deals?
Flew to Florence last year here is the price for 2 in July peak season (from YUL through Munich)
Business class to Europe RT for 2200 is a great fare.
Economy is high price across the board this summer.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 8:05 PM

View of the airport during departure earlier this week - the progress that has been made on the Porter Airlines hangar is significant.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
Expect F8 to announce YOW-PUJ for next winter.
Now confirmed. Twice weekly.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Anybody know what our current air agreement is with the UK. Is it generally open skies. That is to say can BA even fly to Ottawa if they want to? Iceland air seems like another potential entrant and partner for Porter but I understood they were limited to a few airports by Transport Canada.
Canada has full open skies with EU, UK, Iceland - its been active since 2008. UK was unlimited well before that.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmonkey View Post
Business class to Europe RT for 2200 is a great fare.
Sorry didn't realize it was business class

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:15 PM

Today’s departure count: 70

Today’s cancellation count (so far): 0

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 6:46 PM

Random - but: I would love the YOW-DEN flight to come back.

Even if it was 1x daily, with the YOW departure in the later afternoon to catch the evening bank out of DEN, that would be great.

With UA rotating the E170s through YOW a lot (that aircraft will be on ORD, IAD, and EWR now), it would be easier to add DEN with that aircraft.

Wishful thinking, I know. And of course, ORD adds a lot of the same routes as DEN would, but I still think it would be a great route to have. The late afternoon to ORD returning in June will be great for westward connections intra-USA.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Random - but: I would love the YOW-DEN flight to come back.

Even if it was 1x daily, with the YOW departure in the later afternoon to catch the evening bank out of DEN, that would be great.

With UA rotating the E170s through YOW a lot (that aircraft will be on ORD, IAD, and EWR now), it would be easier to add DEN with that aircraft.

Wishful thinking, I know. And of course, ORD adds a lot of the same routes as DEN would, but I still think it would be a great route to have. The late afternoon to ORD returning in June will be great for westward connections intra-USA.
How long ago did YOW-DEN last operate?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation