HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
And this is why Philadelphia has a regional identity problem.

It's the Philadelphia region. Not Conshy. Not the Mainline. Not the Delaware Valley.

It's Philadelphia.
I don't understand the point of your comment.
DC has NoVa and most of southern Maryland. LA has Beverly Hills and Compton. Even New York has its fair share of famous suburbs, like the Palisades, Yonkers, and most of Southern Connecticut.

The only "identity problem" Philadelphia has is that on a national level, it isn't as well known as other smaller cities like San Fran or even Seattle. And even then, I would argue that that has rapidly diminished in the last twenty years.

Conshohocken is a city. The Mainline is a suburb of Philadelphia. Why shouldn't we call them what everyone else calls them? It seems like you're making a big fuss about something so trivial.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 1:50 AM

I think he would just prefer that suburban Philly projects stay consolidated in one place, which I would prefer as well. I don't mind the thread having a lot of Wilmington content, however I'd prefer if there was more development reporting in the rest of the Philly suburbs, and that the posts on Wilmington were more relevant (e.g. "Wilmington is not one of the 50 worst cities in the U.S." is not something that should be shared here). I like the current setup with Highrise/Lowrise/Metro threads and individual project threads. I think if we could add the Transportation thread then we'd have the perfect setup.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I think he would just prefer that suburban Philly projects stay consolidated in one place, which I would prefer as well. I don't mind the thread having a lot of Wilmington content, however I'd prefer if there was more development reporting in the rest of the Philly suburbs, and that the posts on Wilmington were more relevant (e.g. "Wilmington is not one of the 50 worst cities in the U.S." is not something that should be shared here). I like the current setup with Highrise/Lowrise/Metro threads and individual project threads. I think if we could add the Transportation thread then we'd have the perfect setup.
My problem is that I give up on checking the metro page because it’s consumed by Wilmington posts all the time...I had to go back 3 pages just to find a non Wilmington related post . I have nothing against Wilmington, but I don’t live anywhere near it and I’ve never stepped foot in it, so as happy as I am to see development happen in our region, it is largely irrelevant to me. The people who post about it are oftentimes well informed and psyched to see their city do well, that’s great, but I think there are enough Wilmington related posts to justify their own thread.

All for a transportation thread too though.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:17 AM
Sky Wizard

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyskyscraperbro9 View Post

West Philadelphia Transit Center??? Cultural Corridor? I've never heard of these transit developments.

After some research, I have to assume that the "West Philadelphia Transit Center" is just the proposed 18th St MFL station. However, not all is clear with the "Cultural Corridor." Originally proposed as a bus line, it seems now it's a proposed subway line running from the Art Museum along the former RDG City Branch to meet with the BSL. Pretty neat.

Also included are four important transit developments that we already know about.
1) The BSL extension to the Navy Yard: Seeming more and more likely by the day!
2) Roosevelt Boulevard BSL Spur: I really didn't expect them to want to run the whole boulevard! That pretty much doubles the length of the BSL! make it happen!
3) Route 36 Trolley Extension: I didn't see this one coming. Desperately needed for a growing Southwest Philly
4) Delaware Waterfront Transit: Seems to me like that PATCO trolley line along Columbus Blvd is looking like a reality.

When did this come out though? I feel like I've heard about some of this other stuff already.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 4:55 AM

There were several separate threads years ago, including Wilmington, Camden, Conshohocken, etc.

Unfortunately, no individual location had enough development going on, and not enough forumers posting on those threads.

With the lack of traffic to each thread, and the lack of enough development in any locale to really warrant their own threads, we decided to combine them to bring higher traffic in.

Wilmington, Main Line, Camden, Conshohocken, etc. etc. are all a part of the Philly area. This is the best set up, the easiest to keep track of, the easiest to keep track of developments, and the best to draw higher forumer traffic in.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
There were several separate threads years ago, including Wilmington, Camden, Conshohocken, etc.

Unfortunately, no individual location had enough development going on, and not enough forumers posting on those threads.

With the lack of traffic to each thread, and the lack of enough development in any locale to really warrant their own threads, we decided to combine them to bring higher traffic in.

Wilmington, Main Line, Camden, Conshohocken, etc. etc. are all a part of the Philly area. This is the best set up, the easiest to keep track of, the easiest to keep track of developments, and the best to draw higher forumer traffic in.
If high forumer traffic is a concern, why isn't the Philadelphia Transportation Thread tagged for this subforum? I feel like if it was included in here and more people were aware of its existence then it would fare better.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
If high forumer traffic is a concern, why isn't the Philadelphia Transportation Thread tagged for this subforum? I feel like if it was included in here and more people were aware of its existence then it would fare better.
I tried to get the Transportation thread tagged under the Philadelphia sub forum multiple times, but the issue is that the Transportation section of SkyscraperPage Forums Website is set up in a different section of the forum then all of the Construction threads. That’s why it can’t be tagged and added to Philadelphia with the rest of the threads.

Th Construcfion Threads are obviously under the Projects & Construction section of the forum. The Transportation Threads are under the Discussion section of the forum.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
This is the best set up, the easiest to keep track of, the easiest to keep track of developments, and the best to draw higher forumer traffic in.
I don't know, man. It seems to me that giving Wilmington its own thread would make both the Wilmington people happy as well as the people who want to keep up with the "inner suburbs(?)" but not sort through dozens of Wilmington posts in order to do so. I don't think anyone is suggesting giving every town its own thread, but the Wilmington folks are very active.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:27 PM
Sky Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I don't know, man. It seems to me that giving Wilmington its own thread would make both the Wilmington people happy as well as the people who want to keep up with the "inner suburbs(?)" but not sort through dozens of Wilmington posts in order to do so. I don't think anyone is suggesting giving every town its own thread, but the Wilmington folks are very active.
https://suburbanstats.org/population...-in-wilmington

🤔

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyskyscraperbro9 View Post
There are 4.4 million of us out here in the metro who want to talk about other stuff!

No need for other individual town threads, just Wilmington.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Wilmington is not some remote outpost.

Of course, if you live in Bucks County or Montgomery County, it feels irrelevant. But if you live in Delaware County or Chester County, it's super relevant, as thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people commute from Delaware County and Chester County to work in Wilmington. Wilmington is super-intertwined with Philadelphia's southern and southwestern suburbs, many of which are considered "inner ring" to Philadelphia itself.

It belongs here. If anything, it's made me more interested in Wilmington and that part of the region as a whole. Much of the development that is discussed in this part of the forum is literally a 15 minute drive from the Philadelphia Airport. If that doesn't qualify as the Philadelphia Metro I don't know what does.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:51 PM

I really like having it as one thread. Without naming names, I agree there's a decent amount of Wilmington content that clogs things up and does not need to be posted here (I mentioned maybe 6-12 months ago I stopped posting photo updates as frequently to help with the imbalance), but I think the MUCH bigger problem is a relative lack of updates from other projects in the metro area. Even if those 44 recent Wilmington posts were cut down to 10 or 20 or 30, there'd still be only 1 other recent post about the entire metro area. I/we need more than that.

How is Arcadia's project coming along in Media?

What's the latest on the Camden developments?

I know there's plenty of stuff happening out in Phoenixville, Norristown, KOP. What's up?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 5:56 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Maybe most of the regular forumers frequent philly via work or as a resident, so we have more regular updates as a consequence. Also, most of what starts a post is the online media that picks it up as a story, and we lament on them or as a direct observation from being in different philly neighborhoods.

I like to hear more about camden, media, conshy, kop, wilmington, as they are all relevent to the metro area but I feel either those living in said area don't step up to do it or it is not as interesting as what happens in philly.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
I 100% disagree with the whole "Wilmington is a minor part of the Philly metro like Camden, Conshohocken, etc". While Wilmington doesn't have the largest population in the world, it really is more on it's own. Unlike all these other nearby cities, Wilmington seems to have a much larger market for development which is why I'm assuming that there are so many posts about Wilmington Development and not as many for these other places. In my opinion, Wilmington is it's own city and doesn't really need Philadelphia while these other cities are much smaller development wise and kind of do need Philadelphia (based on what I see. Maybe I'm wrong). I think Wilmington should have it's own thread 100%!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I don't mind the thread having a lot of Wilmington content, however I'd prefer if there was more development reporting in the rest of the Philly suburbs, and that the posts on Wilmington were more relevant (e.g. "Wilmington is not one of the 50 worst cities in the U.S." is not something that should be shared here).
So the second I bring up a compelling negative point about Wilmington, I get hated on. The second I say something positive about Wilmington, I also get hated on. What do you guys want?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:28 PM

Well as far as other places go, I'm aware that Westrum has proposed a 197 unit apartment building at 723 Wheatland St in Phoenixville, according to the latest planning commission agenda. Seems like a good spot for it, but would most certainly rent at a discount to the new buildings closer to Bridge St. Can't find any renderings.

Site: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1315...7i13312!8i6656

Also, reps from Rockwell Development have been repeatedly coming back to the planning commission to pursue site plan approvals for "French Creek West," which would build more apartments and single family homes on what's left of the Phoenix Steel site. That'd be huge for that part of town.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:29 PM

In Doylestown:

Quote:
3-Building Retail, Residential Development Proposed In Doylestown

DOYLESTOWN, PA — A mixed-use development with more than 200 apartments and 10,000-square feet of retail space could replace the former Intelligencer building on N. Broad Street in Doylestown Borough.
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/doyle...sed-doylestown

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:38 PM

Update on CSL Behring new HQ office rehab in King of Prussia:

From: https://twitter.com/BrandywineRLTY/s...96046587183106

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Wilmington is not some remote outpost.

Of course, if you live in Bucks County or Montgomery County, it feels irrelevant. But if you live in Delaware County or Chester County, it's super relevant, as thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people commute from Delaware County and Chester County to work in Wilmington. Wilmington is super-intertwined with Philadelphia's southern and southwestern suburbs, many of which are considered "inner ring" to Philadelphia itself.

It belongs here. If anything, it's made me more interested in Wilmington and that part of the region as a whole. Much of the development that is discussed in this part of the forum is literally a 15 minute drive from the Philadelphia Airport. If that doesn't qualify as the Philadelphia Metro I don't know what does.
I don't know why this needs to be about anything but forum organization. If Camden had 10x the posts in the metro thread as all other cities combined I'd be saying the same thing. Wilmington having its own thread would not prevent you from visiting the thread and reading about Wilmington, it would just allow the rest of us to make that decision for ourselves.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations