HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 1:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Somebody from the public is asking about shadow studies (of course lol of course).... they are saying they will look at that during environmental studies.

Timeline for environmental studies is Spring.
The DEIS (draft and final environmental review) is when this officially kicks of the approvals process. So by that timeline, this should be approved before the end of the year. The process is roughly 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
yeah you gotta wonder what is the bizarre reverence for not pushing past the stick on top of the towering mediocrity that is 1 WTC?
NO. People don't just build 1,700 -1.800 ft towers every day.

Quote:
The height is not determined yet. What was revealed is that the schematic comparing 1 Vandy to 175 Park (Grand Hyatt) is slightly smaller (Grand Hyatt). So this is probally a little over 1600'.

But that is to be determined, along with Crown lighting and tower lighting in general.

The render is not 100% to scale comparing it to 1 Vandy. Its actually smaller in the render.
That and there are likely still ongoing revisions. I'm wondering about any maintenance equipment at the top. It's never shown in renderings, but all of the new towers have it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The DEIS (draft and final environmental review) is when this officially kicks of the approvals process. So by that timeline, this should be approved before the end of the year. The process is roughly 6 months.

Which leaves open a large concern of getting the approval of the next mayor... I was hoping they could get approval before de Blasio (who we know would mostly likely approve) leaves office in Nov.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Which leaves open a large concern of getting the approval of the next mayor... I was hoping they could get approval before de Blasio (who we know would mostly likely approve) leaves office in Nov.
De Blasio is mayor til the end of the year, but regardless, the next mayor won't have anything to do with this. Once the clock starts on approval, it doesn't stop. But also keep in mind that the zoning is already in place for these towers. The difference between the large towers here, and the towers of the Hudson Yards is public review. In the Hudson Yards, the towers are still certified by City Planning, you just don't hear much about it because they don't need public review. The CB pushed for public review on the large towers here during the rezoning of Midtown East.

This site in particular, because the city and state both have a hand in it, requires separate actions. But the development is nowhere near being in danger of not getting built, unless maybe there are NO tenants for it. What they can do is muck up the design a little, particularly at the base where it connects to Grand Central. That's the biggest concern with this tower, how many meddling hands are gonna screw with the design.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-show/2863942/

New Grand Hyatt Hotel to Transform Grand Central Terminal, Renderings Show

February 3, 2021
NBC New York

Quote:
A new building is poised to transform the area around a New York City landmark and one of its busiest subway stations.

Image renderings released Tuesday by RXR Realty and TF Cornerstone show what would eventually be 175 Park Avenue, an 83-story tall structure that developers say will be the new Grand Hyatt hotel that will also revitalize the Grand Central Terminal with brand new public spaces.

The plan is to demolish the current Grand Hyatt in 2023 and build the 1,646 feet tall building with up to 500 hotel rooms, 2.1 million square feet of new office space and make improvements to infrastructures around the Grand Central-42nd Street subway station.
Quote:
One of the improvements includes a new transit hall and subway entrance. The redevelopment is meant to address overcrowding, according to the realty company.

The 5,400 square feet hall would feature more signage, train schedules and arrival times, and ticketing and turnstiles will be relocated to street level to ease foot traffic. The new entrance to 42nd Street subway station will be where the ADA elevator is currently located but developers say the reconfiguration will make a more efficient route for customers with disabilities.

The changes also include upgrades to the Lexington Avenue entrance where the sidewalk is expected to widen by five feet.

As for additional public spaces, RXR Realty said there will be three interconnected public terraces that wrap around the eastern, northern, and western sides of the building and that they will be accessible by elevator.

Similar to the High Line, the Grand Central Terrace, Chrysler Terrace and Graybar Terrace will "create new vistas for pedestrians to view the neighborhood’s historic architecture" with space for outdoor seating and food and beverage concessions, the news released said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm gathering that they are not a fan of the base.

Or really, the entrance.

They don't see it as "harmonious" with Grand Central.

The base is magnificent. To me, it's like curtains drawn back to expose the limestone, angular core structure that in itself has hints of Grand Central. Sheer brilliance.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
The base is magnificent. To me, it's like curtains drawn back to expose the limestone, angular core structure that in itself has hints of Grand Central. Sheer brilliance.

It's like a grand theater, only outdoors. I don't know what those morons could be thinking. There's no comparison of the existing structure to what is being proposed. And we would be getting double the required open space, along with a mini High Line park, connecting to the viaduct for potential future expansion. The dark and overbearing structure is being replaced with a light and open one. They should be kneeling at the feet of this proposal.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
^^^

Grand Central’s Grand Hyatt Replacement: A First Look at the 1,600-Foot Tower

https://commercialobserver.com/2021/...-tower/#slide2

BY REBECCA BAIRD-REMBA
FEBRUARY 2, 2021

She's also on twitter with info...

https://twitter.com/thecitywanderer/...12607340404737

Quote:
This is indeed "Project Commodore." The skeleton of the old Commodore Hotel and the Grand Hyatt—Donald Trump's first major development—will be completely demolished over 18 months as part of this project, down to the roof of the subway station.
Quote:
The base of the building will be pulled in in order to create the new elevated public space that's accessible from the street. It'll be landscaped, include two cafes, art, reflecting pool, etc. And views of GCT of course. It'll also connect to the Park Ave viaduct for car access
Quote:
people telling me this looks terrible seem to be unfamiliar with the deeply boring architecture of other supertall buildings in this city
Quote:
also the two main reasons for this design w the exterior columns are (1) pulling the structure in in order to create the public space
(2) there are not that many options for where to put the structural columns since they are removing them from the middle of the subway station
Quote:
anyway this building is getting hearings at the LPC next month and a full ULURP starting in the spring, so you all will have plenty of opportunities to voice your complaints about the design, the park avenue address, bike parking, whatever

And just as I was saying I hope nobody is allowed to sit on those steps, there was this one response to some other moron...

https://twitter.com/urbanresidue/sta...60755010117636

Quote:
This rendering showing grand exterior stairs with nobody sitting on the steps seems to communicate a negative attitude toward civic space.
Quote:
not sure what this means considering there are public benches and seating upstairs. I was just not allowed to publish those renderings because they aren’t ready for public consumption or whatever.

https://twitter.com/urbanresidue/sta...26698843631620

Quote:
Renderings that don't show people sitting on the steps raise some concerns:
Quote:
this isn’t a factual thing to write. the architects are still working on the renderings, which is common for a project of this scale. the presentation I saw was I believe given to the local community board tonight, so you can look up their materials.

Yeah, so the ignorant public has entered the chat.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
I really love the node and wink to Chrysler/Twin towers in the design.

I would like to see the top narrow out just a bit though.
Easily accomplished by increasing the height.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:45 PM

One option for the top could be a modern take on the top section of the empire state (section between floor 86 and 102). That might look nice. Like the ESB top pre-antenna. Might add another 250'.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
I mean, DeBlasio isn't known for being particularly pro-development. The leading candidate in mayoral polling right now is Andrew Yang, who appears more pro-development.

But I don't think it matters much. Mayors don't get involved in this kind of stuff, unless they have a personal interest. And the city planning and landmarks boards are appointees that survive mayoral changes. They're appointed to longer terms.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:05 PM

Just wanted to say this one is awesome! This is vastly better than what it's replacing. No one will miss the old Grand Hyatt.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I mean, DeBlasio isn't known for being particularly pro-development. The leading candidate in mayoral polling right now is Andrew Yang, who appears more pro-development.
De Blasio is the one who got the midtown east rezoning pushed through. In that sense, this is all De Blasio's development.

https://therealdeal.com/2021/02/03/d...grand-central/

Developers unveil plans for 1,600-foot tower at Grand Central
New train hall, hotel, retail for former Trump site in Midtown

February 03, 2021

Quote:
The Grand Hyatt building next to Grand Central Terminal is set to be replaced with a 1,600-foot office and hotel tower known as 175 Park Avenue, new filings show.

If all goes as planned, it would be the tallest building in the city, beating out Extell Development’s 1,550-foot Central Park Tower.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill and Beyer Blinder Belle are designing both the tower and the train hall. The design will resemble the interiors of Grand Central, with the addition of glass skylights.

Plans call for 2.1 million square feet of office space, a 453,000-square-foot, 500-key hotel and 10,000 square feet of retail.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
One option for the top could be a modern take on the top section of the empire state (section between floor 86 and 102). That might look nice. Like the ESB top pre-antenna. Might add another 250'.
I was thinking similar or even something the likes that takes heavy cues from the Chrysler building. Although IMO, I like the current crown but if they decided to modify it... eh... an extra positive bonus I feel. Overall the design is stunning and much better than the POS Hyatt.

The present Hyatt is not harmonious with Grand Central, its vomitous.

175 Park is Harmonious! Those clowns on CB5 have no class or taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
Just wanted to say this one is awesome! This is vastly better than what it's replacing. No one will miss the old Grand Hyatt.
I think 99% of folks would agree but we also have the 1% with only 1% grey matter that think otherwise.

Between this, 270 Park, 1 Vandy, and 350 Park... area is going to be off the charts!

Towers such as Tower Fifth, if it comes to fruition, is what it is, although I'm still warming up to it. Not a total fan of Tower Fifth. But well see on that one I suppose.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

awww yeah bay bee!

loooooking gooood!!!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
De Blasio is mayor til the end of the year, but regardless, the next mayor won't have anything to do with this.
Are you saying a mayor doesn't have to sign off on this? Or are you saying that the mayor will just sign off on whatever the Landmarks and City Planning decisions are?

It was my understanding that a mayor has to sign off on this, no?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post
I really love the node and wink to Chrysler/Twin towers in the design.
absolutely.

that was the first thing i noticed.

also the sort of pulled curtain base.

every ode to nyc you could want.

i dont even care about a crown -- its magnificent -- we are so lucky.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 7:27 PM

The crown it will be so spectacular , if build it will be the second building to break 500m marke in new York city

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:46 PM

Reminds me of the SOM proposal for the Salesforce tower in San Fran. (which should have been chosen, IMO)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Yeah the lattice definitely conjures up their Transbay proposal.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

we all overly care about crowns on ssp, but really by far most people will only care about and interact with the base.

the base is the place.

and it is magnificent --- and something i think that is actually new in design world for this building.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:42 PM

Wow! An absolute beauty!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals