HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Philly L&I approves demolition of Chestnut Street properties that preservationists had tried to protect

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210309.html

Quite frankly, shame on the Inky for using a photo of the incorrect buildings. Regardless about how anyone feels about these buildings on here, it's either a really dumb mistake, or incredibly disingenuous of them to do this.
Admittedly, I like the new tower that's being built along Jeweler's Row, but even then I wished that the developers could've at least incorporated the old structure with the adjoining tower.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 11:35 PM
build awesome buildings

not sure what was happening, but major site prep and heavy machinery on Delaware Ave at Bart’s previously proposed super wawa, which got nixed. and this is indeed the lot right on Delaware Ave, not the other lot closer to the river which has another proposal on it. does anyone know what’s happening here now? there was digging and some foundation work well into the site footprint, so it wasn’t the river trail updates (which are going to be such a nice improvement once done).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:14 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Philly L&I approves demolition of Chestnut Street properties that preservationists had tried to protect

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210309.html

Quite frankly, shame on the Inky for using a photo of the incorrect buildings. Regardless about how anyone feels about these buildings on here, it's either a really dumb mistake, or incredibly disingenuous of them to do this.
The photo accompanying the article has changed at least twice since the Inky first posted the piece online and most recently showed the threatened buildings, but regardless is not really an error, since it shows a major portion of one of the 3 blocks making up the Chestnut Street East Commercial Historic District, discussed in the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Yeah, I'm in favor of protecting jewelers row, and think the Toll Bros demolition is a travesty, but these buildings actually fall outside of the proposed historic district.
Well, actually they fall inside the Chestnut Street East Commercial Historic District, nominated a year ago, which the Commission has thus far failed to act upon. The latter nomination, despite being submitted about a year ago, has not even begun to be processed by the Historical Commission, so the mandatory notifications from the Commission to affected property owners have not gone out. For that reason the nominators generally keep quiet about nominations, to avoid have property owners respond by rushing to apply for demo permits. While a nomination is pending, included buildings are protected from demolition, but that protection only precludes applying for demolition on or after the date that official notifications go out from the Commission. If a building owner catches wind of a nomination before the official notification they can apply for and execute demolition permits.

Last edited by Jayfar; Mar 10, 2021 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Well, actually they fall inside the Chestnut Street East Commercial Historic District, nominated a year ago, which the Commission has thus far failed to act upon. The latter nomination, despite being submitted about a year ago, has not even begun to be processed by the Historical Commission, so the mandatory notifications from the Commission to affected property owners have not gone out. For that reason the nominators generally keep quiet about nominations, to avoid have property owners respond by rushing to apply for demo permits. While a nomination is pending, included buildings are protected from demolition, but that protection only precludes applying for demolition on or after the date that official notifications go out from the Commission. If a building owner catches wind of a nomination before the official notification they can apply for and execute demolition permits.
Oh CLASSIC, I wasn't aware. I thought buildings would be protected as soon as a nomination went in, not after they are notified, but I guess that would make too much sense. Wtf. They should be protected as soon as a nomination comes in the door, and if they think that's too soon maybe they should start acting on the nominations!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 1:08 PM

I'm looking forward to the new building on Chestnut and 8th. That whole area really needs a shot in the arm and the building getting demolished isn't notable at all. The tower replacing it, which includes a retail component and no parking, will fit right in at the street level.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
not sure what was happening, but major site prep and heavy machinery on Delaware Ave at Bart’s previously proposed super wawa, which got nixed. and this is indeed the lot right on Delaware Ave, not the other lot closer to the river which has another proposal on it. does anyone know what’s happening here now? there was digging and some foundation work well into the site footprint, so it wasn’t the river trail updates (which are going to be such a nice improvement once done).
A Giant supermarket

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:13 PM

FDR Park gets $4.5M funding

https://whyy.org/articles/fdr-park-g...on-playground/

I think FDR should host an annual music festival with a portion of the profits going to maintaining the park. It is the perfect spot and should become the ACL/Lollapalooza/Outside Lands etc. of Philly. It has ample parking and public transit with the BSL and stadium lots and we know the area can easily handle 80,000 people like it does 8 times a year for Eagles game. If anyone here knows anyone at Live Nation, this is a no brainer haha. I have always dreamt about a music festival in Fairmount park, but the logistics just don't work.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:12 PM

Apartment Building Planned For Long Vacant Lot at 48th & Chester

Current site:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...t-48th-chester

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:13 PM

Buildings on 1700 block of Walnut coming down

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...09636929058579

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:18 PM

FDR Park gets $4.5M funding boost for new Welcome Center and ‘destination’ playground

Quote:
South Philly’s long-neglected Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park is getting a shot of funding to advance an ambitious $250 million master plan that aims to transform the sprawling green over the next decade or more.

On Tuesday, Mayor Jim Kenney and other officials announced $4.5 million will go toward the design of a new welcome center and event space, as well as a new three-acre playground imagined as a destination for families in the region.

The redesigned guard building will also include space for equipment rentals and public bathrooms — an amenity many park users have long wanted to see. The city’s grant application also describes longer-term plans to renovate former stables and a courtyard area into a “4,000-square-foot cafe and 6,700 square-foot event space.”
Read/view more here:
https://whyy.org/articles/fdr-park-g...on-playground/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:20 PM

Inclusionary 53-Unit, Mixed-Use Project Planned at 5300 Whitby Avenue in Southwest Philadelphia

Current site:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/inclusi...-philadelphia/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:48 PM

Permits Issued For A 43-Unit Structure At 4074-86 Haverford Avenue In West Powelton

Current site:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/03/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:48 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
I'm looking forward to the new building on Chestnut and 8th. That whole area really needs a shot in the arm and the building getting demolished isn't notable at all. The tower replacing it, which includes a retail component and no parking, will fit right in at the street level.
Yeah me too, but rather in that gigundous open lot on the NW corner.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:49 PM

Construction In Progress At 1801 Fairmount

Rendering:

Rendering:

Current progress:

Current progress:

Current progress:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/03/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:51 PM

Cladding Mostly Complete At 2100 Hamilton Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/03/clad...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:52 PM

Renderings Revealed For Station Square In Germantown

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/03/rend...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:09 PM

^ That’s an example of modern architecture done right.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 6:29 PM

That Fairmount property looks pretty nice actually. The rounded corner really sets it apart.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 7:12 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Cladding Mostly Complete At 2100 Hamilton Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/03/clad...ladelphia.html
Glass on this turned out 1000% better than the renders. Love the accented line and not sure if it is embedded or a break in the cladding for one pane to another. Makes all the difference in the world.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 7:14 PM

I love the project at 18th and Fairmount! As a near neighbor who has been watching it rise, it will definitely add some vibrancy to the corridor. Also, speaking of Fairmount Ave, I noticed what appears to be soil testing at the Francisville Triangle:

I'm not a NIMBY, and I'm definitely not going to be mad if this project finally gets started after over a decade of delays, but that lot would also work nicely as a green space. A lot of my neighbors use it as an unofficial dog park, and I've definitely lounged in it last summer. Again, I'm not going to be mad if it gets developed, but I also wouldn't be mad if it were somehow converted into a park.

Temple University '18 ']['

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development