HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:58 PM
Fishtown & Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
How many Retail spots are at street level and are they all taken already?
Walked by the W a couple days ago. Didn't really take notice of retail potential, but did see that Dolce, an Italian restaurant, had signage and looked pretty far along.

And the sidewalks were basically open; the fencing that was still there was pushed up close to the building so it was passable.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:19 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Philadelphia's long-awaited W/Element hotel in Center City targets May opening

Article behind paywall in the link below. Can see a nice shot of this from Broad Street though in the article:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-may-open.html
Though this has been a saga, I am so excited for this to open. And by the article details it sounds like it will be a very nice hotel and a destination in & of itself with the restaurants, rooftop pool and bars. Lets just hope the tourism & business market picks up soon! I think a May opening is a solid move instead of March.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:14 AM

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:35 PM

@elevated.angles

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:36 PM

Now marriott.com states both hotels open next month instead of one opening this month

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 2:08 AM

The building's lights are rotating a few different color schemes tonight

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:20 PM

Marriott now states the W Hotel opens in July

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:42 PM

Staying at the element next month just cuz, pretty hyped

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
Staying at the element next month just cuz, pretty hyped
So I guess this is open now. In my mind, this building will be UC for the next 12 years.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 5:33 AM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 5:34 AM

https://youtu.be/Vsi2i6g58mo

https://youtu.be/BO05Cpln0bY

https://youtu.be/1UPR1boL-TA

One Liberty Place has new light animations as well!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 2:27 PM
i heart philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I wish comcast 2 would have had color led on that spire. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It would be so cool if it could change like the rest of the city lights.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
So I guess this is open now. In my mind, this building will be UC for the next 12 years.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenster View Post
I wish comcast 2 would have had color led on that spire. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It would be so cool if it could change like the rest of the city lights.
That was the plan, then they cut it. I have a feeling someone will change that lighting system soon...hopefully. When One Liberty Place was built, it only had white lights that reflected off mirrors, the lights were not in tubes with neon inside.

Bonus photo

Philadelphia skyline lit up from New Jersey by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 3:32 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
That was the plan, then they cut it. I have a feeling someone will change that lighting system soon...hopefully. When One Liberty Place was built, it only had white lights that reflected off mirrors, the lights were not in tubes with neon inside.
Liberty One and Two utilized a product called Lighttube (sp?) which consisted of coated hollow tubes and light sources at the ends of each tube segment. Supposedly, according to one article at the time, an issue they ran into with Liberty Two was that the maker had changed the coating formulation after Liberty One, so that the tubes on Liberty Two appeared brighter.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 3:50 PM

Here's a review just a month after they switched the crown and spire lights on, from January 22, 1988

One Liberty Place-01/22/1988 by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

Read the second paragraph

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 3:51 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 3:54 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
neat stories. doesn't sound like the latest and greatest technology for lighting the crowns of L1 and L2. For efficiency and programmability, the owners of these buildings should probably update the lighting system into something more align with how FMC or the W/Element hotel is lit.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 4:57 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Liberty One and Two utilized a product called Lighttube (sp?) which consisted of coated hollow tubes and light sources at the ends of each tube segment. Supposedly, according to one article at the time, an issue they ran into with Liberty Two was that the maker had changed the coating formulation after Liberty One, so that the tubes on Liberty Two appeared brighter.
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7670...outshines-one/

CLIPPED FROM
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
20 Dec 1990, Thu • Page 2-B

The Skyline: Two Outshines One?
You may not be able to tell from the photo above, but it's been obvious that ever since Two Liberty Place, at left, joined the nighttime skyline, the inverted V-shaped band of light near the top of the new skyscraper is much brighter than the three V bands on its big brother One Liberty Place. It's almost the difference between a 40-watt bulb and a 75-watt bulb. "As soon as they turned on the lights the first time, we noticed the difference," said Cliff Wildgoose, project architect on Liberty Two for the developer, Rouse Associates. "One is a warm white and the other is a bright white. It's something you don't know until you see it for the first time." The reason for the difference is that light-tube technology changed between the time of the construction of One and Two. "We've talked about using filters Ion the the lights in Liberty Two so the colors will match," Wildgoose said. It could be months before any decision is made.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:26 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/7670...outshines-one/

CLIPPED FROM
The Philadelphia Inquirer
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
20 Dec 1990, Thu • Page 2-B

The Skyline: Two Outshines One?
You may not be able to tell from the photo above, but it's been obvious that ever since Two Liberty Place, at left, joined the nighttime skyline, the inverted V-shaped band of light near the top of the new skyscraper is much brighter than the three V bands on its big brother One Liberty Place. It's almost the difference between a 40-watt bulb and a 75-watt bulb. "As soon as they turned on the lights the first time, we noticed the difference," said Cliff Wildgoose, project architect on Liberty Two for the developer, Rouse Associates. "One is a warm white and the other is a bright white. It's something you don't know until you see it for the first time." The reason for the difference is that light-tube technology changed between the time of the construction of One and Two. "We've talked about using filters Ion the the lights in Liberty Two so the colors will match," Wildgoose said. It could be months before any decision is made.
It seems now that One outshines Two.

Ive noticed that Lib Two lights are dim for some reason, I dont know if they turned them down but when they were first redone a month or so ago they were bright as Lib One. Now they are dim. I could barley see them from 95 the other night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive